• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Blaze 86w

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm working on scoring a pair of these with the 2024 graphics (because I love the 2024 graphics!) You ladies have convinced me that I need to give these a whirl for progressing in crud and bumps, so I am also going with the 159 as it sounds like the rubber inserts help smooth out the ride quite a bit. Hoping I might have them by next week!
Ohh looking forward to hearing what you think!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm working on scoring a pair of these with the 2024 graphics (because I love the 2024 graphics!) You ladies have convinced me that I need to give these a whirl for progressing in crud and bumps, so I am also going with the 159 as it sounds like the rubber inserts help smooth out the ride quite a bit. Hoping I might have them by next week!
The frenzy continues!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I like the 2024 graphics too and am considering.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, longer term review: The long and short is these skis are incredibly playful, oodles of fun in soft fluff (what isn't?!) but way underpowered for the long, fast groomer runs here. Now, I bought the 159 which is a tad short for me, but I was overpowering them on a return to the base this morning on anything that was steeper where I picked up speed. I'm honestly not sure where they fit in my quiver (which I am overhauling now that I have "THE" boots that I have married.) I don't really have the option to lap soft moguls or fluff over and over. I have to ski a lot on a big variety of terrain. I might be happier on the 166.

I will say, on lower-angled soft snow, I LOVE these skis. Playful is an understatement. But Snowbasin is big mountain skiing, and there isn't much low angle terrain. Anything steeper and they get pretty jittery doing medium to longer radius turns.

I sure love the topsheets, though!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So, longer term review: The long and short is these skis are incredibly playful, oodles of fun in soft fluff (what isn't?!) but way underpowered for the long, fast groomer runs here. Now, I bought the 159 which is a tad short for me, but I was overpowering them on a return to the base this morning on anything that was steeper where I picked up speed. I'm honestly not sure where they fit in my quiver (which I am overhauling now that I have "THE" boots that I have married.) I don't really have the option to lap soft moguls or fluff over and over. I have to ski a lot on a big variety of terrain. I might be happier on the 166.

I will say, on lower-angled soft snow, I LOVE these skis. Playful is an understatement. But Snowbasin is big mountain skiing, and there isn't much low angle terrain. Anything steeper and they get pretty jittery doing medium to longer radius turns.

I sure love the topsheets, though!
Thanks for review. I was wondering about those skis at places like Heavenly and Palisades......

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m surprised to hear that @contesstant because they were fantastic at Taos, which is some of the steepest skiing I’ve ever done. Not on groomers there for the most part really but everything is big steep skiing there.. I haven’t had an issue on steep groomers in general at home, they carve like a dream imo and feel really stable with edges engaged there. They are also great on firm trails and ice for those who need to ski that lol. I do find a speed limit on the 159, but not the 166.. which was the trade off discussed between the two sizes depending what one might want them for though.

For one who wants a burly ski though, this ain’t it. For someone who is also a Sheeva 9 lover though @santacruz skier.. I find them more damp/stable than them personally. Especially for carving, it’s like you’re on rails.. for me.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m surprised to hear that @contesstant because they were fantastic at Taos, which is some of the steepest skiing I’ve ever done. Not on groomers there for the most part really but everything is big steep skiing there.. I haven’t had an issue on steep groomers in general at home, they carve like a dream imo and feel really stable with edges engaged there. They are also great on firm trails and ice for those who need to ski that lol. I do find a speed limit on the 159, but not the 166.. which was the trade off discussed between the two sizes depending what one might want them for though.

For one who wants a burly ski though, this ain’t it. For someone who is also a Sheeva 9 lover though @santacruz skier.. I find them more damp/stable than them personally. Especially for carving, it’s like you’re on rails.. for me.
Maybe I’ll demo at steamboat. I’m sure they are good in steep bumps and trees like at Taos…but maybe not for long steep groomers. But then, I’d want them for bumps and trees, not groomers!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe I’ll demo at steamboat. I’m sure they are good in steep bumps and trees like at Taos…but maybe not for long steep groomers. But then, I’d want them for bumps and trees, not groomers!
Yeah but I also had them on Kachina before it really bumped up and was just big swoopy turns in soft snow. Not groomed though. But yeah it is good to know if your focus is bumps/trees or not and choose your size accordingly. I plan to bring the Blazes to Steamboat, so we’ll see how that goes. Are there steep groomers there? I’ve never been. I’ve brought the Sheeva 9s all over the West for years.. so time to test out the Blazes more.

We DO also have steep groomers in the East! :wink:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It’s been about 15-20 years, and I’ve skied so many places that I don’t remember that much about Steamboat other than light, dry snow and tight trees! Also lots of groomers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki if you wanted a longer pair there's a 166 pair on FB Marketplace right now with kingpins and skins, in Uxbridge, for $350. Would need a remount though, currently 27.5. Or if @lisamamot is interested in a backup set up for skinning.
The really funny thing is I live in Uxbridge too! I am very happy with the 159s, but thanks for mentioning! I kind of want a backup 159 to put aside though lol. Especially for my current goals of improving and playing in bumps/trees as much as possible, the 159 is perfect.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The really funny thing is I live in Uxbridge too! I am very happy with the 159s, but thanks for mentioning! I kind of want a backup 159 to put aside though lol. Especially for my current goals of improving and playing in bumps/trees as much as possible, the 159 is perfect.
Guess I need to try the 152 as my skis are in the 156-157 range except older sambas are 152 I think!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remembered you living there from when we carpooled to Big Snow, which is part of why the FB listing caught my eye. Pretty good deal with the kingpins and skins included. Hmmm, who else to tell about them.

mustski

Angel Diva
The difference between Taos and Snowbasin would be in the length of the groomer runs. Taos' runs - for the most part- are short compared to Snowbasin. Also, the week we were there had lots of freshies so most groomers after day one, weren't really typical groomed conditions. It sounds to me like @contesstant found a speed limit on the the Blaze 86.

Yay for new boots!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna