• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Blaze 86w

MissySki

Angel Diva
I demoed the Volkl Blaze 86 in 159 and 166 lengths today and shockingly LOVED them! It’s shocking for me because I am not a Volkl fan at all. I seem to like these because they aren’t very Volkl like I guess? :rotf:

Anyway, I just haven’t heard much about this ski, so wanted to shout it out for others who might have an upcoming demo day planned. They are worth taking a spin on.

It’s not the super burly metal bound Volkl that I usually dislike, so if that’s your jam you may want to look elsewhere. I tend to like more wood than metal, lighter than heavy, and very playful and forgiving of a ski. I ski with more finesse than power, and I don’t like a ski that I have to force into submission. I prefer off piste technical skiing to groomer zooming. This ski is extremely playful and energetic. Literally any sized or shaped turn I wanted to make happened with ease without my even having to think about it. Firm groomer, held a great edge. Soft smeary rain laden snow, plowed right through. Ungroomed big snowmaking whales with some stick, handled with total confidence, and stability no matter which way I turned on it. Color me impressed!

Yes, my quiver will likely be growing by 1 to welcome a pair soon! :wink:
Note that I usually like a ski in the mid-160s as a sweet spot, but I preferred the maneuverability of the 159 here. Given my tendency to want to play in bumps and trees, and my desire to get better there, I think the shorter length is the better plan for my intended use and I didn’t feel like I lost any stability between the two. The 166 definitely had a higher speed limit, but that’s not applicable in my bump skiing ambitions so I’m willing to make that trade off.

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
^^^^what she said

Shocker, I loved this ski too - another +1 on the skis that @MissySki and I both love. Demo day winner, winner chicken dinner ski.

I demoed the Blaze 86 166 in the men's top sheet - the women's and men's are identical in construction. 166 is shorter than I normally ski, but is also the longest they make in the women's top sheet size run. I did not find a reason to go longer on this one. Super stable, quick and FUN.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, interesting. I usually would think the 159 would be my length, but it sounds like I should try the 152 as well. Isn't this one that was suggested for working on bumps?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmmm, interesting. I usually would think the 159 would be my length, but it sounds like I should try the 152 as well. Isn't this one that was suggested for working on bumps?
Yes, I saw it in your bump ski thread, and @elemmac suggested to me to try it and was spot on with that recommendation!

I believe it was new to the lineup last season, I don’t think anything has changed this year outside of top sheet.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is good to know, I think you and I @MissySki look for the same attributes in a ski and these sound great. Due to the season ending accident which has resulted in lots of ligament damage as well as the break I'm thinking of going slightly narrower than my Sheeva 9's and these sound like just the ticket :thumbsup:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This is good to know, I think you and I @MissySki look for the same attributes in a ski and these sound great. Due to the season ending accident which has resulted in lots of ligament damage as well as the break I'm thinking of going slightly narrower than my Sheeva 9's and these sound like just the ticket :thumbsup:
I'm with you guys...... sounds appealing...... 152 for me? Maybe I'll try at Taos if they have them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just purchased the 159 today due to a screaming deal I got with my passholder discount, demo day from yesterday discount, and Boyne Rewards points. :becky: I just have to figure out where I will get the demo Squire binding from.. they have them at the shop but the people working today were unsure if they were “allowed to sell them”:doh:.. managers were not working so I will call tomorrow. If they won’t well those to me I will buy elsewhere online. I’d like to get my 15% off if I can though.

I will likely still most bring my Sheevas to Taos. These will definitely not replace my love for those, but I think I will use the Blaze more in Eastern bumps this season especially when things are firm!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I look forward to hearing what you think when you are able to demo them in the future! I think you will find them very intriguing of an option since you also like the Sheeva. I still love my Sheeva, but feel like this adds a fun addition to my quiver for firm days in bumps.

Reading about them more yesterday, they have a variable radii underfoot.. different underfoot versus in the tips and tails that I don’t really understand but from what I can tell it gives an incredible maneuverability with different radius turns and I totally felt the ease of that design yesterday. Or I assume that’s what causes it from what I read. Very cool! I’d love to pick the rep’s brain, or someone who understands the technology theory better than I do. I look forward to exploring it more on snow.

• Love
Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be talking to my local ski shop to see if there will be any changes to it next year (remember we get our ski's over here before you guys ie next season we'll be buying the 2024 models) and maybe put my name down for some 159's :ski:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I look forward to hearing what you think when you are able to demo them in the future!
I probably wont get a chance to demo so I'm relying once again on your opinions :thumbsup:You guys didnt let me down last year with the Sheeva's :love:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes read about the 3D radius turns..... Guess they are versatile and do quick, short turns, or long GS turns........ interesting....

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sounds interesting- I will have to try them since I am looking for something better for bumps/ trees.
I will have demo bindings, so you can try mine out if you haven’t had a chance to get on them before then. I will surely bring them to Diva East since I can bring a couple of pairs with driving. Not sure if you would prefer the 159 or 166. I got the 159 and @lisamamot liked the 166.. so we are both down one size from what we’d usually get.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if you would prefer the 159 or 166. I got the 159 and @lisamamot liked the 166.. so we are both down one size from what we’d usually get.
Can you remind of your stats again ?? I'm 165cm (5'5" ish) and on the 162's in the Sheevas so I'm thinking of the 159"s in the Blaze, I've got to make it easy on ze knees :injured:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This is the ski I was looking to demo last season, but there were NONE around to demo at TSV, which is how I ended up with the Sheeva 9's. I love them, but I also think I would love the Blaze. Hmmm, maybe this yr there will be more around to demo -- Uh Oh! I really don't NEED to buy any additional skis.....:doh:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Can you remind of your stats again ?? I'm 165cm (5'5" ish) and on the 162's in the Sheevas so I'm thinking of the 159"s in the Blaze, I've got to make it easy on ze knees :injured:
I am close to you in size then! 5’4” and around 125 lbs.. I also ski the 164 Sheeva.

• Love

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is the ski I was looking to demo last season, but there were NONE around to demo at TSV, which is how I ended up with the Sheeva 9's. I love them, but I also think I would love the Blaze. Hmmm, maybe this yr there will be more around to demo -- Uh Oh! I really don't NEED to buy any additional skis.....:doh:
Haha right?? Dangers of demoing. :doh:

If I brought them to Taos you could try mine since they’ll have demo bindings. I am more likely to bring the Sheevas though. I don’t usually bring two skis West since I have a single Sport Tube and think the Sheevas are so versatile when heading West.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took out the 158cm in the Blaze 94W this year and previously the 157 in Sheeva 9 (5'2" / 54kg currently) and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the Blaze 94W in softer powder and crud - less so on anything harder, they didn't grip quite so well where the snow was more solid (Coronet Peak on an proper fresh snow day with proper Concrete Peak hardpack hiding underneath on the groomers). I imagine a narrower version would solve the grip issues better though. My understanding is no changes since release through 2023, but who knows if they'll change this for 2024...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly