• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC 2022-23 conditions, parking - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I❤️storm skiing. It was heavy but getting lighter. Temp is due to drop tomorrow. It snowed so much needed shovel to get out of the parking space.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's almost too much snow! Snowbasin has had 3 days in a row of lift closures of almost the entire mountain due to wind and extreme avy danger--the storm last night dumped much more than forecast and it is DENSE. Super for the drought, but dangerous for ski areas. And there's more coming in right at this minute--I just got a radar alert for the next wave.

And to whine more about first world problems, we haven't had but one bluebird day in weeks now. Even partly sunny has been absent. My vision has a harder time in the flat light than it ever has so my skiing in flat light is not much fun anymore. (I used to love the challenge of it.)

UDOT LCC just posted on Twitter that they anticipate canyon closures in the afternoon again as this next wave comes in.

Uncle! Pineapple Express, the west cries uncle!
I am with you! Being on Ikon means the weekends are nuts; the timing of the storms is interfering with my plans to steal a midweek morning to burn 8 runs by 11 and then go into meetings. Also I've skied Strawberry once, got caught in the worst I've ever seen the top, and I will be back on a sunny not weekend, perhaps in March.

I can't really blame them given the insane snow but I definitely had a moment this morning of "gosh, snow at a SKI resort?"

I am getting better at skiing in flat light but I hate it so much. Yes I need cheese with my wine.

Also, Ikon people: we love you but Snowbasin does not have RFID. Please take your pass out so they can scan it. (They'll even give you a free lanyard.)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am with you! Being on Ikon means the weekends are nuts; the timing of the storms is interfering with my plans to steal a midweek morning to burn 8 runs by 11 and then go into meetings. Also I've skied Strawberry once, got caught in the worst I've ever seen the top, and I will be back on a sunny not weekend, perhaps in March.

I can't really blame them given the insane snow but I definitely had a moment this morning of "gosh, snow at a SKI resort?"

I am getting better at skiing in flat light but I hate it so much. Yes I need cheese with my wine.

Also, Ikon people: we love you but Snowbasin does not have RFID. Please take your pass out so they can scan it. (They'll even give you a free lanyard.)
I’ll bring the cheese if you bring the wine!
I’m finding Ikon is making EVERY day nuts and I’m just so tired of it .

marzNC

Angel Diva
The big snowstorm around New Year's meant Alta had to cancel the New Year's Eve torchlight parade. Alta opted to reschedule for the coming holiday weekend.

ALTA'S 85TH WINTER TORCHLIGHT PARADE AND FIREWORKS CELEBRATION.

In celebration Alta's 85th winter, please join us for our annual Torchlight Parade and fireworks show from the Collins angle station to the Wildcat base area. Enjoy an outdoor bonfire and watch the firework show from the Town of Alta and Alta Ski Area.
  • Torchlight lift tickets will be limited to the first 500 skiers.
  • Torchlight lift tickets will be available for purchase on Saturday, January 14th at Skier Services or the Wildcat Ticket Office.
    • Tickets are $10 each.
    • Alta season passholders can obtain a Torchlight ticket for free.
  • No beginner skiers are allowed as the parade route follows intermediate terrain in low light conditions.
  • Skiers must bring their own flashlights or headlamps for the festive ski down in the dark.
  • Participants will be allowed just one ride up Collins or Wildcat.
  • Children need to be accompanied by an adult.
  • Open containers of any type of beverage are not allowed on the lift.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta has had so much snow, they have written up a blog article about it.

January 12, 2023
"A DEEP DIVE INTO OUR DEEP SNOWPACK.

Eighty-five winters ago, skiers were first drawn to Alta by the promise of powder days. Eighty-five years later we are experiencing a special winter—one that has delivered storm after storm and the continued promise of powder days.

The storm train has barrelled straight through the first three weeks of January and we’ve seen an additional 147 inches of snow since the new year.

As of January 19th, we have seen 433 inches on the season—the most season-to-date (mid-mountain) snowfall in the world. Compared to the 42-year history of the Collins study plot, we’ve seen above-average snowfall and water in each of the first four months to start the 2022–23 season.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
For folks who may be thinking about the 2023-24 season in terms of a multi-resort pass to ski LCC/BCC, keep in mind that the access for the four resorts may chang. Meaning what applies for this season, 2022-23, may not be the case for the next season.

For 2022-23, Alta and Snowbird are on Mountain Collective separately (2 days each, 50% off additional days). All four LCC/BCC resorts are on Full Ikon for 7 days. Solitude (owned by Alterra) provides unlimited access for any Ikon pass. Snowbird includes 5/7 days for Ikon Base/Base+. As someone who plans to ski Alta for more than 7 days in April, I added the MCP to Full Ikon.

Using Ikon in LCC is equivalent to having a combo Alta/Snowbird pass for that day. With the MCP, someone who stays at Snowbird or Alta can get a free ride to the other resort in the morning and then ski back to their lodging via the Alta/Snowbird gate at the top of Sugarloaf after 3:00pm. Assuming Mineral Basin is open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is going to be another public transportation option for getting from SLC to the LCC/BCC ski resorts soon. Essentially a low-cost shuttle service for $10 round-trip cobbled together by the county and Visit Salt Lake (tourist promotion) and supported a little by UTA and the four resorts financially. The idea is to be able to serve about 1000 people each day the shuttle is operating.

Fair to say, it's the fantastic snowpack that is probably increasing the number of locals driving up the canyon roads, in addition to Ikon travelers willing to organize trips that weren't planned months ago. Wonder if the decrease in UTA bus service was partially because last season's snow was so limited in Jan-Feb 2022, which obviously meant low ridership. Or is the gondola proposal a factor? A little hard to believe that there was no way to find more drivers in the fall.

January 11, 2022
" . . .
Snow Country Limousine will contract with the tourism-touting nonprofit [Visit Salt Lake] to provide the supplemental service with vans and mini-coaches Thursdays through Sundays, beginning Jan. 26 and ending April 16. The company will serve Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton.
. . .
Riders will need to secure a reservation and pay a $10 round-trip fee. Routes will serve Sandy, Midvale and Cottonwood Heights, with stops at various hotels and public park-and-ride lots.
. . ."

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amazing pow pow skiing today @Alya. The snowcountry sprinter van was driving downhill o the uphill lane. I guess that's how professional drivers heavily subsidized by out tax money beat bumper 2 bumper traffic.

noprobllama

Certified Ski Diva
I was up at snowbird yesterday and despite some poor visibility up top and in some mid areas had a great day overall! Curious if Brighton will consider paid parking/reserved parking - I was looking at the UDoT's twitter and the traffic looked insane at 7am up SR190!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna