• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC 2022-23 conditions, parking - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sunnyside lift at Alta won't open by Christmas. Albion will be open during the holiday period for the long greens in Albion Basin.

View attachment 19782
ALta is hoping 2 have Sunnyside done 4 MLK. U can get to sugarloaf & Supreme from Albion it just takes longer but u only do it once or twice/day

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's heavy ❄️. LCC closed last night &again from 1230 - 3p for avalanche mitigation. 1st time in 2 yrs I have seen traction law enforced. Hoping 4 temp to drop 10° to actually get pow.

Scribble

Angel Diva
My fingers are crossed for tomorrow and Monday. I didn't ski today, but ran some errands and SR 210 was so backed up we had to take the back route out of our neighborhood. Glad to have not been part of the fiasco!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's how snowfall went at Alta in December that led to having just over 100 inches on the grown as of Dec. 31, with 277 inches total so far for the season. After the storm that starts this weekend, the total will be over 300 inches.

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 9.43.17 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
There will under Interlodge in Alta tonight.

"12/31 SR210 will close at 10pm. The Town of Alta will go into interlodge at 11pm. estimated opening of 8am 1/1/23"

When the LCC road is closed and Alta parking fees apply, all parking reservations and cancelled and fees are refunded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta and Snowbird were closed on Jan. 1. Town of Alta remained under Interlodge all day as far as I can tell. The snow was wet and heavy. Avalanche risk is very high all over Utah.

January 1, 2023 (USA)
" . . .
Over 48 hours, Brighton received 29 inches of snow, Sundance received 42 inches (3 1/2 feet), Solitude got 27 inches, Deer Valley got 24 inches, and Alta got 23 inches, according to Ski Utah.

The Utah Department of Transportation announced that Little Cottonwood Canyon would be closed all day Sunday while road and avalanche crews work. As of Sunday afternoon, there was no estimated opening time.
. . ."

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta last updated the status for Sunnyside just before Christmas week. During the holiday period, Albion was running 9:15am to 4:20pm. With all the snowstorms, that's been great for skiers but probably hasn't made it is to finish up the Sunnyside installation. There was a time when Alta Ski Co. considered removing Albion as part of the installation of the new Sunnyside lift. Good thing that didn't happen over the summer.

As Altaholics know, Alta lifts don't open until 9:15. Sunnyside normally closed at 4:30pm, as does Collins on the Wildcat side. Albion actually accesses a little more terrain than Sunnyside because it goes higher up. The only time it was running during one of my April trips was when Sunnyside wasn't open for a day or two because of mechanical issues. That's not counting the days it was open for "last rides" in April 2022.

Last update: December 22nd

Alta is replacing the old Sunnyside triple-chair with a new six-person detachable lift. This new lift will replace the Sunnyside triple and Albion double that have long carried skiers to Alta's most cherished beginner terrain. The new six-person lift will also provide better access to Supreme and Sugarloaf quads.

Like most things in our lives these days, global supply chain issues have delayed the delivery and installation of some key elements of the new Sunnyside lift.

SUNNYSIDE PROGRESS REPORT:

• The Albion lift is now open from 9:15am–4:20pm daily.
  • Albion will run until the Sunnyside lift project is completed.
  • Sunnyside lift construction will not be finished until January.

View of Sunnyside triple after unloading Albion double, April 2022
Alta Albion Apr2022 - 1.jpeg

Alta Albion Apr2022 - 2.jpeg

Scribble

Angel Diva
I love that sign, so funny! We rode up Albion on Monday when the fog was terrible everywhere else. It was scenic, but the only porcupine we saw that day was near Sugarloaf.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowing hard at Alta and not going to stop for another day. LCC road is closed until 8am local time on Jan. 10. :snow:

From the Alta website, each short bar means an inch of new snow during that hour.
Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 6.59.38 AM.png

newbieM

Angel Diva
I had to come back home to real life but the BF is up there today and I’m sure is going to have a great day today. More snow tomorrow too!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's almost too much snow! Snowbasin has had 3 days in a row of lift closures of almost the entire mountain due to wind and extreme avy danger--the storm last night dumped much more than forecast and it is DENSE. Super for the drought, but dangerous for ski areas. And there's more coming in right at this minute--I just got a radar alert for the next wave.

And to whine more about first world problems, we haven't had but one bluebird day in weeks now. Even partly sunny has been absent. My vision has a harder time in the flat light than it ever has so my skiing in flat light is not much fun anymore. (I used to love the challenge of it.)

UDOT LCC just posted on Twitter that they anticipate canyon closures in the afternoon again as this next wave comes in.

Uncle! Pineapple Express, the west cries uncle!

altagirl

Staff member
While I hear you (and would also enjoy some sunshine), 86% of the state is still in "severe" or worse drought status. And the Great Salt Lake is in desperate condition.

We still need every drop we can get! Even if that means ski days lost because of road closures. (DH spent 14 hours driving for 4 hours of skiing across multiple days over the holidays... so yes it is a bummer.) But if the Great Salt Lake dries up, which it is tracking to do within 5 years or so, that's the end of Lake effect snow....

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I hear you (and would also enjoy some sunshine), 86% of the state is still in "severe" or worse drought status. And the Great Salt Lake is in desperate condition.

We still need every drop we can get! Even if that means ski days lost because of road closures. (DH spent 14 hours driving for 4 hours of skiing across multiple days over the holidays... so yes it is a bummer.) But if the Great Salt Lake dries up, which it is tracking to do within 5 years or so, that's the end of Lake effect snow....
Oh I agree 100%, I just get really, really depressed with the lack of sunshine. Like, can’t the sun come out between storms? It’s been overcast in between, or dense fog.

altagirl

Staff member
Oh I agree 100%, I just get really, really depressed with the lack of sunshine. Like, can’t the sun come out between storms? It’s been overcast in between, or dense fog.
Yeah I agree - and it's been a bit dreary for photography lately too! I just keep repeating "we need the water, we need the water...."

Marigee

Angel Diva
The sun was out for a few hours this morning at Deer Valley. It was so nice to actually be able to see. And then it started snowing again. It’s been weeks since I’ve had some sun while skiing. And all the snow at Deer Valley has been wet and dense lately, but yeah, the moisture is definitely needed. As you said @contesstant - first world problems!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna