• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC 2022-23 conditions, parking - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not as common during mid-season, but there are days that Hwy 210 up into Little Cottonwood Canyon to Alta and Snowbird is closed midday. There is a banner at the top of the Alta homepage right now for March 24, with a link to UDOT Cottonwoods.

Little Cottonwood Canyon (SR-210) will be closing temporarily (3/24/23) for mid-day/mid-canyon avalanche mitigation. Uphill traffic to close at the mouth of the canyon at 12:00pm & downhill traffic will at 1:00pm at Snowbird Entry 1/Gate C. Estimated reopening is 3:30pm. Follow @UDOTCottonwoods Twitter or Instagram stories for updates.

Only reason I have a Twitter account is to keep up with the latest road conditions for a trip to SLC.

The very first time I took my daughter (tween then) to Alta Lodge for a spring break trip we had to leave on an early shuttle before lunch even though our flight didn't depart until late afternoon. Have also arrived at the airport at 11:00 for an April trip and barely made it up the canyon before the midday road closure. The other couple and I were very glad our checked baggage came out in time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mean while the bus system has cut back according to the HCN article I just posted.
Supposedly that was due to staffing issues in the fall, as noted in the article:

". . .
Both residents and experts say the problems in Little Cottonwood Canyon are just a larger symptom of Salt Lake City’s public transportation problems. In a 2021 inclusivity planning focus group hosted by Envision Utah, respondents said that the “lack of public transit makes places difficult to reach.” This year, the Utah Transit Authority reduced its bus service in the canyons, citing driver shortages. “On the first day the bus system opened, it was packed to the gills,” says Fleming. One day, “the buses were so full they skipped one of the stops. There were over 300 people waiting for a bus.
. . .”

Hard to know exactly what's going on. Wasn't that many years ago that there was an effort made to increase the UTA bus service to LCC/BCC. There is a stopgap low-price shuttle service ($10 round trip) called the Cottonwood Connect that started up in late January and will operated until April 16.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not as common during mid-season, but there are days that Hwy 210 up into Little Cottonwood Canyon to Alta and Snowbird is closed midday. There is a banner at the top of the Alta homepage right now for March 24, with a link to UDOT Cottonwoods.

Little Cottonwood Canyon (SR-210) will be closing temporarily (3/24/23) for mid-day/mid-canyon avalanche mitigation. Uphill traffic to close at the mouth of the canyon at 12:00pm & downhill traffic will at 1:00pm at Snowbird Entry 1/Gate C. Estimated reopening is 3:30pm. Follow @UDOTCottonwoods Twitter or Instagram stories for updates.
A heavy band of snow led UDOT to close Hwy 190 in Big Cottonwood Canyon for at least an hour midday on March 24.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always find the lack of staffing argument laughable. I translate that into "we don't pay much". Carry on...
That, and UDOT is corrupt as he77.

I drove home in the worst conditions all winter today. Whiteout, blizzard snowsqualls. Crazy!

marzNC

Angel Diva
With such a deep snowpack, Solitude plans to stay open daily until May 7, with potential bonus weekends (Fri-Sun) until May 21. Solitude is celebrating 65 years in operation.

From Solitude Twitter feed:
"Celebrating 65 years of Solitude, and we've still got two months to go. With near record snowfall, we plan to stay open daily until May 7. Friday - Sunday until May 21, conditions permitting."

March 21, 2023

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That, and UDOT is corrupt as he77.

I drove home in the worst conditions all winter today. Whiteout, blizzard snowsqualls. Crazy!
At Alta now, had to take break skiing, viz just deteriorated but wow this accumulation has been Incredible!. Friend trying to get up here between the many closures, now stuck waiting until the “possible” 3:30pm reopening of LCC. They closed the road between the Bird and Alta too this AM then it reopened. Really challenging trying to keep up with the openings and closures on the UDOT Twitter. I can see why this becomes frustrating.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At Alta now, had to take break skiing, viz just deteriorated but wow this accumulation has been Incredible!. Friend trying to get up here between the many closures, now stuck waiting until the “possible” 3:30pm reopening of LCC. They closed the road between the Bird and Alta too this AM then it reopened. Really challenging trying to keep up with the openings and closures on the UDOT Twitter. I can see why this becomes frustrating.
Yeah, my daughter and I took a few powder runs this morning, but the fog just makes it no fun for me. Still had fun! But the drive was nuts!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Never followed a road closure for Hwy 190 for BCC before. The latest update was at about 2pm MT on March 24.

UDOT Cottonwood Canyons

@UDOTcottonwoods
#SR190 remains closed due to conditions, road ops working to clear bank sluffs below Cardiff (MP 10.7) & begin avalanche mitigation.
New ETO: 3:30pm.

Brighton closed the Milly side a bit early. There isn't as much terrain terrain so with winds and low visibility makes it difficult to get around safely.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Will be a longer wait for people in LCC who need to drive down the canyon today. The ETO had been 3:30 local time but that changed to "New ETO - unknown. We will provide a time when known."

Alta and Snowbird closed early because Interlodge was put into effect.

From Snowbird website on March 24, before the usual closing time.
Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 5.14.10 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hwy 210 in LCC opened around 7pm on March 24. The idea was to let people make their way slowly down the canyon. The road will close again at 10pm and stay closed until at least 8:30am. There was slide debris that took a while to clear. The one at White Pine was estimated to be to 15’ deep and 300’ wide! There are video clips in the UDOT Cottonwood Canyons Twitter feed of big truck snow blowers in action.

Hwy 190 in BCC opened about 4:30pm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently there was 19 inches of snow between 6am and 4pm at Alta. Pretty unusual to see more than 2 inches in an hour. The heavy snowfall for which UDOT closed the road midday added 5 inches! That was on top of the 10 inches that had already fallen.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 9.40.57 PM.png

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plz show respect for UDOT canyon team. They saved lives today. There was a natural avalanche at white pine. 15 feet deep 300 feet wide. UDOT closed the road at noon. Interlodge was called at 210PM. LCC Canyon is steep.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plz show respect for UDOT canyon team. They saved lives today. There was a natural avalanche at white pine. 15 feet deep 300 feet wide. UDOT closed the road at noon. Interlodge was called at 210PM. LCC Canyon is steep.
@Chuy no disrespect. Fact is the avalanche was unknown until much later, after hundreds of ppl got stuck in LCC. It was a long day for many.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, my daughter and I took a few powder runs this morning, but the fog just makes it no fun for me. Still had fun! But the drive was nuts!
I bet. It took many hours before people could leave LCC. The Wildcat parking lot at Alta was something I won’t soon forget! Friend finally got up here safe. Glad you are too.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet. It took many hours before people could leave LCC. The Wildcat parking lot at Alta was something I won’t soon forget! Friend finally got up here safe. Glad you are too.
Thankfully winter driving does not get me frazzled--it's a challenge!
Is it wrong for me to say that I'm ready for the snow to stop? We have had precipitation almost every day this winter even at valley level. The winter blues hit hard this year. I have always been able to muddle through winter with lots of bluebird ski days, but those have been in short supply this year. It's lame to complain especially with the snow conditions being just incredible with zero slushy days and very little hard pack, but I'm ready for some sunshine.

I'm also concerned that we'll transition to early summer temps too soon (has happened a lot the past few years) and there will be catastrophic flooding.

Lord only knows when I'll be able to ride my mountain bike! LOL! It's even too cold and wet to ride the local paved river trail right now.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Local coverage of the LCC road closure and unexpected interlodge on March 24. I happened to be checking the Alta website soon after Interlodge was announced.

March 24, 2023, first posted at 5:40pm local time
" . . .
Alta and Snowbird announced an interlodge event earlier today around 2 p.m. after winter conditions increased avalanche risk in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Interlodge means all patrons, such as skiers and snowboarders, as well as employees are confined to the lodge with no exceptions. During this status, it is illegal to leave the buildings, even to stay in your car, according to Snowbird.
. . ."

The last interlodge to make news was in February 2021 and lasted 60 hours. Two days before there had also been a midday road closure, followed by a short interval when people could make their way down canyon to SLC.

February 25, 2021

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna