• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Unsolicited Venting

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think everyone is missing the point. Renoun is marketing what appears to be a unisex ski to:

1. Anyone who has $1300 and is willing to take a chance.

2. Anyone who has a ski blog (you get yours free)

It seems the catalog (which I have not seen) portrayed women as objects, not as skiers and that is what was offensive.

The dialog that has taken place here on SD is just more "free marketing"

* disclaimer I don't know either ski manufacturer but I have seen others skiing their skis. I also am not liable for any posts made to entertain myself while sitting in a car for hours enroute to the mt.
Finally, if you'd like to send me a pair of 90s I'll write a blog/story to help with your female marketing.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2. Anyone who has a ski blog (you get yours free)
Yes and no.
We receive some free, but for the purpose of demoing and giving feedback for future improvements to the line. We send some back.
Keeping in mind that this is our job.

It seems the catalog (which I have not seen) portrayed women as objects, not as skiers and that is what was offensive.
It wasn't a catalog, it was the athlete page with only one female athlete amongst 9 male athletes.
https://renoun.com/pages/athletes
Comments about a catalog were about other snow sports clothing companies.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes and no.
We receive some free, but for the purpose of demoing and giving feedback for future improvements to the line. We send some back.
Keeping in mind that this is our job.

It wasn't a catalog, it was the athlete page with only one female athlete amongst 9 male athletes.
https://renoun.com/pages/athletes
Comments about a catalog were about other snow sports clothing companies.
I am sorry, there was a catalog mentioned in the OP, along with the athlete page described.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just wanted to chime in from a pretty neutral standpoint on my specific preferences as another female skier with a pretty large quiver. Skiing is my passion, and I happily spend a lot of money on it. Some years I don't buy any skis, but this season I bought 2 pairs after falling in love with skis I demoed. I like to demo at least once per year if I can, mostly to stay up to date on new technologies, to be better able to discuss gear with other ladies, make suggestions on skis for friends to try, and to replenish my own skis as "necessary". I don't care about marketing pretty much at all, I frankly don't notice it much and it doesn't do anything for me. If I'm interested in a ski I do research, see what other female skiers I have common ski interests with think about it, and ultimately demo. I won't personally buy a ski without demoing, I've been on some skis that I can't wait to get off of my feet after the first run so I won't chance buying that.

I do remember when Renoun was first coming out that I saw something about it and researched it and was really impressed with the idea of the technology. I'm a scientist, so what's not to be enamored with for this particular ski? I would LOVE to demo them, but that hasn't been an option. I know there is a 100 day gaurantee, and that's awesome.. but I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of returning if I don't love them. Until I get on a ski and love it, I'm not tempted to buy it, I need to know what I'm missing out on before I drop that much cash.

So for me, I don't need more women in catalogues or on Instagram looking pretty in amazing locations to drool over. I need access to the ski to try it for myself. That's literally the only way to win me over to a ski purchase. I mean even if you had a location or two carry them for demo in Vermont, that would be appreciated for New England skiers. Earlier this season another ski diva and I did a 6 hour roundtrip day just to go demo a ski that was hard to find for demo anywhere near us. (Black Crows Camox Birdie). I happily paid to demo the ski, and it's one of the two I ultimately ended up purchasing a month later.

Oh and as an aside to the ladies who mentioned Coalition Snow, I 100% agree on your feelings. The anti-men feel to their marketing really turns me off. I don't understand why men need to be portrayed almost as the enemy to raise us up? Why not just go with the women designed and built skis for women thing in general? As for the skis I've demoed a couple of models and am not a fan, has nothing to do with the marketing, just not the feel I prefer.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I looked up "J" skis HMMMM I clicked on photos I don't see women?
I guess you didn't look up "J skis Whippit Stephanie Stepp" (the pink unicorn model). That one apparently caused it's own little stir with strong opinions on both sides, debating whether it was humorous, malicious, or if anyone should even be analyzing it so deeply.
(Disclaimer- this is part of a video series "Trollin" by Steve Stepp. In one of the later episodes they state that the intent of the series was to draw attention to some issues in the professional ski scene. Although I'm sure that was debated too. Nothing like an internet forum to bring about debate. )
And to finish up on a positive note, just looking at the athletes page, I'm curious if they contribute in more ways than being photogenic and athletic. There was an impressive list of business and economics, advertising, graphic designer, etc. I always like when a company throws in a personal blurb about their athletes and employees. It looks like Renoun has found some interesting people to represent his company.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't know about the J video but the one after was awesome !!
HOW TO SKI POWDER | 3 COMMON MISTAKES & HOW TO FIX THEM Stomp It Tutorials

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ironically, this is where Renoun sets itself apart.
We had quite a discussion with Cryus and his team about scaling sizing and softening certain skis for the smaller skier (man or woman) so that the shorter lengths work for the target audience, which is you.

I'd love to try them sometime if they ever put out something in the ballpark of 150.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Point taken. I make no apologies for this forum, but I wonder if this conversation would have gone the same way in a mixed venue.

This conversation would be a shouty, pointless, s*** show if it involved men. There's a reason for this site.

The negative comments here toward Cyrus are what's meant by "punching up."

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This conversation would be a shouty, pointless, s*** show if it involved men. There's a reason for this site.

The negative comments here toward Cyrus are what's meant by "punching up."

I am not sure what you mean by “punching up”.

I believe that we can share our views, communicate our perspective, offer advice and constructive criticism without resorting to labeling and name calling.

I appreciate Cyrus being willing to listen and look forward to seeing the evolution of Renoun.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not sure what you mean by “punching up”.

It just means that there's a difference between someone with power and privilege confronting those who don't have power and someone from a marginalized/disadvantaged group confronting someone with power. I was reacting to the comments about it being "bitchy" and unfair to complain about Cyrus. He may be young but his actions as a business owner seem to be perpetuating the marginalization of women in the ski industry. Especially since he's so intentional about his decisions, I think it's perfectly fair and in-bounds to criticize him.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It just means that there's a difference between someone with power and privilege confronting those who don't have power and someone from a marginalized/disadvantaged group confronting someone with power. I was reacting to the comments about it being "bitchy" and unfair to complain about Cyrus. He may be young but his actions as a business owner seem to be perpetuating the marginalization of women in the ski industry. Especially since he's so intentional about his decisions, I think it's perfectly fair and in-bounds to criticize him.

I think it is fair to voice your opinion about his company and advertising. I don't think it is fair to call him "evil". We all have the right to speak with our dollars and we should.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, ladies, it looks like you're being taken quite seriously. Cyrus Schenk, the founder of Renoun Skis, has asked if he can respond to this thread, so I'm granting him access to this thread for a few days. This is a first. I've never let a guy on here before, but I'm doing this because I think it's an important conversation to have. So here's your chance; if you want to talk to him about this, have at it.

Seems like he asked to participate.

I promise this is My last post about this and it's from my Nancy Drew/Columbo brain.

It's bugging me; Since this is "diva only' thread I still don't understand How did Cyrus even know about this thread? Of course being the nice guy he is and a business man he'd respond ONCE TOLD Diva's were upset and having a Venting thread about his product catalog?! How could he 'invite himself/ask to participate' Unless one of us told him and invited him?

If Giving Him notice about the thread wasn't an invitation to respond what was it? (only entrapment comes to my amateur nancy drew/columbo brain). I'm Not trying to piss anyone off or start any debate, I'm just not getting the posts "he asked for it"

Cyrus is not evil, he does not exclude women, his skis are Uni-sex-
I hope he'll take the negatives mentioned here and turn into positives that other Male (and female) dominated ski companies can learn from to avoid making people feel left out. (although we can never please all the people all the time)

I want every ski @Renoun makes. I LOVE MY RENOUNS z-90's-
z-77's up next for me and as the company continues to succeed I'd love to see shorter fat skis. (hint hint)

to the nay-sayers. don't knock them til you ski them. IMO Renoun will go down as the most technologically advanced ski in the 21st Century. Thank you Cyrus!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I promise this is My last post about this and it's from my Nancy Drew/Columbo brain.

It's bugging me; Since this is "diva only' thread I still don't understand How did Cyrus even know about this thread? Of course being the nice guy he is and a business man he'd respond ONCE TOLD Diva's were upset and having a Venting thread about his product catalog?! How could he 'invite himself/ask to participate' Unless one of us told him and invited him?

It's very simple: I told him about it. I thought it was something he should know about, thinking maybe he could learn something. It's not in the Divas, Only section, so it's open for anyone to read. He then asked me if he could participate, so I granted him access.

Last edited:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Light bulb moment here.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the OP, you bought the ski based on all the love on this site (your words, not mine) and not based on the company's own direct marketing to consumers. Therefore, another prong of the company's marketing strategy was via ski industry influencers, including this forum, which is exclusively women. So there wasn't an overt marketing to women, but the channel that captured you was all-women, and had the company not reached out to influencers who are members of this forum, you wouldn't know about the ski. Sure, the owner said he didn't consciously market to women....with the website and print collateral. But it seems like he knew what he was doing by reaching out to Wendy and @SnowHot because they reached out to women.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna