• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Unsolicited Feedback from Man on Chairlift. Grrr....

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, what a moron. Anyway, next time you're confronted with annoying and unwanted commentary, look them in the eye with a bored expression, sigh, and then ask "Why are you talking to me?" There is no good answer to this question, so sit back and enjoy their retreat into the ooze from which they emerged. :wave:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh. Jerk.

We had a wintry-mix-into-rain day yesterday, which was the day of one of our women's clinics. The women in the group were awesome and super-positive, and were enjoying the great snow despite the precipitation. One of our male instructors watched the group go out after lunch into the rain and said "Wow, it's great to see your group getting out there again! If it were a men's clinic, we'd all be at the bar talking about how we don't mind skiing in the rain."

newboots

Angel Diva
@bsskier - best response! You win for comments against the idiot jerk who isn’t married to @dloveski .

Somewhere on this site was a long, ranty, whiny post from me about an oddly-dressed man on the lift at Killington who gave me pointers (“Practice in the morning and then ski with the guys in the afternoon! That’s what I do!) and after asking my profession, lectured me about the one book he had ever read in psychology. I confess that when he asked, “so you sit with people and they talk to you? You have a masters?” I was forced to answer that I have a Ph.D.

Bragging, I cringe. But really, I could have raised the bar and pushed him off the lift! He got off easy!

@Randi M. - you have my deepest sympathies. Now that we know and can recognize mansplaining, it is even more infuriating!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s the worst. I’ve definitely gotten soggy goggles getting worked up over what people have yelled at me from the lift or in the park.

Some dudes get really territorial over the lines they’ve skied or tricks they do that give them a sense of superiority. Seeing women ski them really gets their panties in a bunch, and they’ll look for any excuse to say she doesn’t belong there.

Every time I get harassed, I make a point to take one more gal pal through the park or down their first double black, and finally I just started doing ladies’ Flight Club nights to get an entire gaggle of gals out there at once. Can’t heckle all of us!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a douchecanoe. Wow. That guy is really gonna get it when karma comes back around.

This is bad.... But I legit pretended to be hearing impaired once. I know some ASL from my job. I was skiing alone that day and didn't want to deal with it.

As bad as I feel about it, it worked. Chairlift guru shut up pretty quick.

Semi-related story: At JH in the tram line, this guy in his late 40s to early 50s kept staring at me. I smiled politely and kept talking to DH or looking around. Then when the line moved, I hear a whispered/hissed "pretty eyes" in my ear. I turned to look and this dude leaned over the line divider to whisper this while I walked behind DH. He made eye contact and continued to stare until we got far enough away in the line. Fairly mild, but irritating and creepy to have that just hissed in your ear while trying to navigate the crowded tram line and not drop equipment. I don't understand why men feel the need to do that....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Semi-related story: At JH in the tram line, this guy in his late 40s to early 50s kept staring at me. I smiled politely and kept talking to DH or looking around. Then when the line moved, I hear a whispered/hissed "pretty eyes" in my ear. I turned to look and this dude leaned over the line divider to whisper this while I walked behind DH. He made eye contact and continued to stare until we got far enough away in the line. Fairly mild, but irritating and creepy to have that just hissed in your ear while trying to navigate the crowded tram line and not drop equipment. I don't understand why men feel the need to do that....

Another Semi-related story that I never knew where to post - well some may feel the need or at least think that flannel shirts and a bandana are hot..... late last spring DH and I are on the Gondi w/ 2 other snow boarders and a skier. DH is across from me sitting next to the skier. Skier says "I really like your outfit, its hot. You know, I know the best places on the mountain want to follow me?" I said no I'll stick with my husband your siting next to him and I know where the good snow is, don't need you to tell me. We let him get off first, and the two other snowboarders apologized to me saying they were so sorry the guy was such an a$$hole they were so embarrassed that he (or any male) would act that way, especially knowing DH was sitting there. I was touched by their sincerity, truly they were as offended as we were.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A guy, who admitted he was a Vietnam vet so who knows what happened to the poor man, saw my unbuckled boat on the lift today and commented that I shouldn’t crank those down I should use the upper buckles. I let him go on and said “Are you going to ask me why they are unbuckled?” Thank God he was good enough to ask! I have a Morton’s neuroma on that foot and pressure from the side sets it off even worse. So I try to loosen the boot when I can. At least he responded with an Oh......... UGG!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, I have found that the retired old man experts in the hot tubs are THE. WORST.

Retired old man experts, period, are the worst. Last winter I was on a lift with a couple of old white guys - one of whom asserted retired ski patrol status - talking about the joys of early-morning skiing and such. Our green cruiser is >3 miles long, and is a run difficult enough to strike terror into the hearts of people who jump right to that from the bunny hill because there are a lot of pretty sweet pitches on it. Short pitches with runouts, which is why it's "green", but still some pitches that are good enough that you can pick up some real speed off it. So I mentioned that the nice thing about making first tracks in the morning is that you can blast down that run at 35mph, because you know no one else is on it, and it goes on forever.

Old White Retired Patroller immediately throws shade on this. Says I was probably going 15 or 20mph, because "people" always overestimate their speed.

And I'm there, on fifth chair or something on a weekday morning, a chick with a pair of Volkl RTM 84s, a notably difficult ski to manage even for dudes, and they're long enough to come nearly up to my hairline, and covered with stickers and obviously not rentals.

So I told him he was right, I'd just done the math in my head, and getting down a 3.3 mile run in 5 minutes puts it closer to 40mph than 35. And then gave him some truly condescending advice about avoiding Volkls if he wanted to ski slow, and made some recommendations for more "friendly" skis.

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am appalled at the misogyny I am experiencing these days...everywhere. I won’t get into the politics...it’s just to ugly, and verboten on this forum. But, yesterday was my first day back on skis since I visited Big Sky last season. I visited Okemo and had the displeasure of encountering a real bully boy on the lift line. I grew up with his ilk on Long Island, and my first impulse was to hang my head and quake with fear in the dark shadow of his manly manliness...but I didn’t. I stood up and talked back. He relegated his blustering from that point on to his wife and entourage and in a much lower voice. The other bully—much more passive aggressive—was the lift operator. I just ignored his attempts to publicly humiliate me for not knowing that he had changed the liftline set up for the first time in 10 years. I need to start carrying a sign that says “Please, submit your mansplaining in writing to [email protected].

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am appalled at the misogyny I am experiencing these days...everywhere. I won’t get into the politics...it’s just to ugly, and verboten on this forum. But, yesterday was my first day back on skis since I visited Big Sky last season. I visited Okemo and had the displeasure of encountering a real bully boy on the lift line. I grew up with his ilk on Long Island, and my first impulse was to hang my head and quake with fear in the dark shadow of his manly manliness...but I didn’t. I stood up and talked back. He relegated his blustering from that point on to his wife and entourage and in a much lower voice. The other bully—much more passive aggressive—was the lift operator. I just ignored his attempts to publicly humiliate me for not knowing that he had changed the liftline set up for the first time in 10 years. I need to start carrying a sign that says “Please, submit your mansplaining in writing to [email protected].
ALWAYS Talk Back, and NEVER Hang Your Head!

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh. Jerk.

We had a wintry-mix-into-rain day yesterday, which was the day of one of our women's clinics. The women in the group were awesome and super-positive, and were enjoying the great snow despite the precipitation. One of our male instructors watched the group go out after lunch into the rain and said "Wow, it's great to see your group getting out there again! If it were a men's clinic, we'd all be at the bar talking about how we don't mind skiing in the rain."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna