• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Unsolicited Feedback from Man on Chairlift. Grrr....

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super annoying incident today, which only you guys will understand. I was at Belleayre going down Yahoo, a run which is labeled a double black but in terms of steepness feels to me like a hard blue or an easy black at a bigger mountain. The left half of the run, directly under the lift, was bumped up and the right half was groomed. I’m an advanced skier, and I have zero issues on steeps and with ice, but moguls are really not my strength. I haven’t encountered them much this season and I really wanted to practice, but I was worried about being embarrassed under the lift. I decided I didn’t care what people thought and I was going to ski the bumps and just take it slow. One thing I know about myself is that I can take anything at all if I go slow.

I’m picking my way down slowly and awkwardly, but I was 100% in control, when a man above me shouts “practice your turns where it’s safer!” He wasn’t ski patrol or a ski instructor — at least he wasn’t dressed as one — and something about his tone was incredibly condescending. Then, when I was getting on the lift at the base of the run, I hear someone call out from the crowd behind me, “I see you made it down alive!” I look up and it’s the same guy.

It was that second comment that put me over the edge. He may have thought he was being helpful with the first comment, but the second one was flat out obnoxious. You would never catch a woman acting that way. What makes some men think it’s ok? Grrr.

R0ckette

Certified Ski Diva
I know what you mean about moguls - especially on the east coast. It's like skiing around little ice blocks, whereas here on the west coast they're a bit softer and more forgiving. Either way if you don't get the right rhythm with them they're gonna make you look bad regardless of how good or bad of a skier you are.

As for the man, I'm pretty sure I'd tell a ski patrol about being heckled/harassed and I'm willing to bet he'd never do it again...

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What an obnoxious guy. He obviously tries put other people down to make himself feel better about his own ability, and you can be well assured he doesn’t just do it on the mountain. There’s also something so rude about shouting down from the lift.

True skiers know that the only way to get better is to practice. Kudos to you for continuing to practice and improve even though you are already advanced.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
He said something to you twice! That's just odd. Persistent, he was.

You know how boys tease girls they like? Could this have been a poorly-framed come-on by an immature guy who liked the way you look?
Wasn't that sixth grade? It did occur to me that he wanted to get her attention but really?

Tvan

Angel Diva
What a jerk. He probably thought he was either being helpful, or flirting with you. Clueless.

It seems like jerks were out in force yesterday. We were at Catamount and there was a guy running laps on Catapult, basically straightlining the run (which is touted as the steepest in the east), regardless of the number of other people on the hill. He nearly hit me and cut off DH on one run. We saw him again... once cutting off a little kid on a blue, and again cutting through a group of kids on the alpine team on the same run. Ski patrol was nowhere to be seen. He hadn’t killed anyone by the time we left the hill, and I hope the afternoon proceeded without incident. Guys like that make me want to retire so I can ski mid-week exclusively.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know what you mean about moguls - especially on the east coast. It's like skiing around little ice blocks, whereas here on the west coast they're a bit softer and more forgiving. Either way if you don't get the right rhythm with them they're gonna make you look bad regardless of how good or bad of a skier you are.

As for the man, I'm pretty sure I'd tell a ski patrol about being heckled/harassed and I'm willing to bet he'd never do it again...

Yes, they were icy. And you’re so right about rhythm. I can get a rhythm with bumps made of snow but I had a hard time with the ice mounds. I really didn’t care from a skiing perspective. Experience is the only way to improve.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He said something to you twice! That's just odd. Persistent, he was.

You know how boys tease girls they like? Could this have been a poorly-framed come-on by an immature guy who liked the way you look?
This is actually what I was thinking!

But you story does remind me of one of my favorite old phrases "speak to the hand" with the physical blocking motion to interupt unwanted communication. Yes its rude, but in this case........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly