• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for getting ready in the car

AppleJacks207

Certified Ski Diva
I'm planning to pick up a rubber mat to stand on behind the car while booting up. So far we are just... standing behind the Outback getting our stuff on as fast as possible (me, hubby and 12 yo). It's not yet what we call Sugarloaf Cold, though, so I am a little nervous about what's coming! At that point I'll probably put on my layers in the car, awkwardly. I've always been a "wear base layers, bring a huge bag of stuff and get fully suited up in the lodge" gal. This winter is a whole new situation! We got outdoor-soled North Face puffer slippers on clearance that are easy to wear to the mountain, and my ski pants fit over them so, I pants up, then boot up on the tailgate. The slippers are worth the $20 hands down.

Sometimes I have swearing issues . . .
I also have swearing issues

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hiked up to the ski hill the other day - takes about 50 minutes door to lift so very possible. Other years it's been easier because I've had a locker for boots and skis, but this year I'm having to take all my gear with me. I was worried that my boots would be frozen solid by the time I had to put them on so needed some kind of heating for them; they're bloomin' horrible to get on when they're cold. A half-filled hot (ish) water bottle did the trick - just put it in the backpack next to my boots and could then actually get my boots on while standing up.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hiked up to the ski hill the other day - takes about 50 minutes door to lift so very possible. Other years it's been easier because I've had a locker for boots and skis, but this year I'm having to take all my gear with me. I was worried that my boots would be frozen solid by the time I had to put them on so needed some kind of heating for them; they're bloomin' horrible to get on when they're cold. A half-filled hot (ish) water bottle did the trick - just put it in the backpack next to my boots and could then actually get my boots on while standing up.

I’m so envious that you can get into your boots standing up! It’s a wrestling match to get mine on even sitting down! I am also tremendously impressed that you walk up!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m so envious that you can get into your boots standing up! It’s a wrestling match to get mine on even sitting down! I am also tremendously impressed that you walk up!
I tried custom liners in my current boots for a while - the first time I tried to get them on in the locker room, on a powder day - honestly 20 to 30 minutes of swearing until I worked out how to bend the plastic enough. I'm back to my old liners now and they're do-able if the shell is warm.

Until this year I thought it was too far to walk for some reason - and I wouldn't do it if the snow banks were high as the road is too dangerous then. But have spent an unemployed summer walking and walking and walking so now get a bit twitchy if I don't get out and walk every day. Hoping that we get more snow low enough that I can skin up and not have to carry the skis and boots!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The slippers are worth the $20 hands down.
Wait, where did you find The North Face puffy slippers for $20? Everywhere I look the Thermoball slippers are $55.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wore my ski pants to drive to the ski area to avoid having to put them on in the car or outside. I always drive with the heat on in the winter so boots were room temperature when I arrived. Found an old carpeted car floor mat in my garage and used that to put on the ground to put my boots on. I don't need to sit down to put my boots on--in fact I find it easier to do standing up, so actually getting them on wasn't bad.
The only issue I can think of that might change is if it was colder it will be cold changing into my ski socks---but I could do that part in the car to solve that problem.
Overall, getting ready in the car wasn't as bad as I thought it would be--though under normal circumstances I'd still prefer to get ready in the lodge so I can more easily access my bag to add or shed layers and change goggles during the day.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, hiked up! Impressed!!

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
-though under normal circumstances I'd still prefer to get ready in the lodge so I can more easily access my bag to add or shed layers and change goggles during the day.
Depending on your comfort level, you could attach a bag with a lock outside on the ski rack to store stuff. I use my ski lock with the wire wrapped around the bag.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried custom liners in my current boots for a while - the first time I tried to get them on in the locker room, on a powder day - honestly 20 to 30 minutes of swearing until I worked out how to bend the plastic enough. I'm back to my old liners now and they're do-able if the shell is warm.

Until this year I thought it was too far to walk for some reason - and I wouldn't do it if the snow banks were high as the road is too dangerous then. But have spent an unemployed summer walking and walking and walking so now get a bit twitchy if I don't get out and walk every day. Hoping that we get more snow low enough that I can skin up and not have to carry the skis and boots!
I dont know where you ski but one of my things I have done in the past is drive to the 5 minute place you can park close to lodge/lifts, then get out and walk my skis to the ski rack, lock them, then drive to the parking lot and walk from there with my skis already handled. Not sure if you have tried these if would be of help: https://www.alpineboothorn.com/products/the-alpine-boot-horn

Happy Feet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend passed this on to me. Use a plastic storage bin instead of a boot bag. Everything is easy to see and grab. Also it's easy to carry it to the car from the house and vice versa.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva I like the blog! Where did you find that nice little fold up stepstool? And, since I am taller than you are, does it fit Mr. Ski Diva, too? I have looked at a few candidates but they are so close to the ground and I have fairly long legs. I could use a milk crate but likely that will make me feel as though my knees are shoved up my nose!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think today fit up my car in preparation for going skiing, although I still may wait till next week for day one. Then I'll dress for skiing, go out to the car, and see if I can get my boots on while sitting in the car. I hope so, or I'll need to pack a camp chair in there. Should be interesting.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another tip re: using car as base lodge. Not applicable to getting ready, but applicable to dining in your car. Prior to this pandemic, I had never eaten in my car in my life (it's against my principles--I drive one of those immaculate cars that is not dirty etc). Anyway, because there were some situations where I needed to eat my lunch in the car this year, I decided to make it as neat and comfortable experience as possible, which could also be applied to eating at a ski area. I set up a small maybe 14-18 inch tall folding table in the "way back" of my SUV. That way you can sit in the back and dine comfortably with a table and not spill anything on the upholstery--any crumbs or spills can be easily caught and wiped up.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@ski diva I like the blog! Where did you find that nice little fold up stepstool? And, since I am taller than you are, does it fit Mr. Ski Diva, too? I have looked at a few candidates but they are so close to the ground and I have fairly long legs. I could use a milk crate but likely that will make me feel as though my knees are shoved up my nose!

Sorry, but I have no idea where we got it; it's something we've had forever. And Mr. SD hasn't used it to put on his boots. He just turns sideways in the driver's seat and puts them on that way.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a step-stool like that. I think I got it at Homegoods or one of the hardware stores (Lowe's, Home Depot or the independent) I frequent.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Abbi - i saw a rubbermaid step stool that looked similar to @ski diva 's. I googled folding plastic step stool and it came up in a search.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna