• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for getting ready in the car

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will probably bring ear plugs as well. You know the parking lots will be filled with a cacaphony of men ”sharing” their favorite tunes on their cranked-up car stereos.

<off topic> Why is there always such a terrible music ski resorts? I did not wake up at 4AM and drive 5 hours to have my ears assaulted by AC/DC. </off topic>

merrydog

Angel Diva
I actually have some sock like things that are cloth filled with rice made specifically to warm ski boots. Mine are probably 2"wide by 12"long that I purchased at a boot fitters shop in Tahoe. They absolutely work for the few boot up in cars that I do (only to go to Squaw or Mt Rose where I don't have lodging close by). So for 30 minutes or so boots are super toasty. I tried to google them and can't find as I don't know the name of the item!

Don't know if these are the same but I picked up a pair at a thrift shop (new!) and they work pretty good to warm up my hiking or snow boots.

For my ski boots I have some old Thermic boot dryers that keep the liners warm. They go in the boots as soon as we get home after a day of skiing and I unplug as we are packing up to go skiing. My boyfriend came up with this method where we put our boots and other gear (mittens, helmet, etc.) into a storage bin with handles and that gets carried out to the back of the car. This works well to keep all of the ski detritus together and give us the option to wrap everything in a clothes dryer warmed blanket if the temps are particularly low.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are gearing up by your trunk/back hatch, notice the wind direction -- the door could hit you in the head with a big gust of wind if there's a headwind. Short people, you need to pay attention to this, too!

If it's snowing, pull out only what you will be immediately putting on so your stuff doesn't get filled with snow and, ultimately, wet. This requires pretty decent organization at home so that everything comes out in the order you want to put them on. Consider changing your lenses at home so that you're not doing this in the snow.

I usually put everything on while standing near the back of the car, but if I'm parked on ice or compacted snow (i.e., something slippery where I don't want to balance on one leg), I'll push one of the front seats all the way up and sit sideways in the backseat, facing out

merrydog

Angel Diva
In the Zoom meeting last night, it was mentioned about using an old yoga mat. Don't have an old one....our local dollar store has them too.

Adding that idea to my trunk.

Similar to that we use an old beach towel, a friend uses an old bathmat; you get the idea.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like we need to lobby for each resort to put a bench next to an exterior outlet and have a hair dryer to borrow at the end of day. Although then you would have the issue of walking back to your car without your boots on. Hmmm, maybe instead of a full bag check that would take a lot of space, just a shoe check tent or mini lockers outside that really only fit shoes and maybe a thermos.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m grateful that I only drive 3 miles or less to get to the mountain. But I am still totally envious of all of you with modern cars with things like heated seats! My 2005 Honda CRV, even being an EX model, does not have heated seats.

I got a heated seat pad for Christmas, love it. Plugs into the dash for power.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before getting seasonal lockers, I used to boot up in the car. Definitely get a sturdy stool to sit on. I tired folding chairs but they weren’t sturdy enough when snow/ice was on the ground. Keep the boots under the seat with heat directed to the floor. Keep your jacket, helmet, etc. in a soft sided freezer bag - the kind that you use to put frozen food in. It will prevent anything from freezing if it gets cold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna