• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2019-20, conditions and open terrain

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't usually think of Taos as a good destination for the end of year holidays, but seems like conditions will be very good the next few weeks. It's going to stay cold with daytime highs no more than mid-30s, so the new snow should be cold snow for quite a while.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 9.30.04 AM.png

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC It’s been amazingly good so far! December’s condition has been iffy the last few years, especially the last 3 seasons. It’s been a long time since they open the back side (but not chair4) before Christmas week, and they are still making snow all over the mountain while it was snowing.
The only complaints are low visibility and wind...Sunday’s snow was epic but with only 5ft of visibility, I couldn’t go very far without having to stop to check my surroundings...

marzNC

Angel Diva
The only complaints are low visibility and wind...Sunday’s snow was epic but with only 5ft of visibility, I couldn’t go very far without having to stop to check my surroundings...
Nice to have your first hand reports!

Ironically, skiing under snow guns in the southeast/Mid-Atlantic that are on during a day session can be good practice for skiing in low visibility out west during a snowstorm. Goggles tend to get covered so even though the runs are short, likely to ski at least a few turns without being able to see much.

The better I've become at skiing at a slow pace on more challenging terrain, dealing with low visibility has become less of an issue. Never really bothered me in any case.

Wind is a different problem. Were there wind holds for any lifts that could've been open otherwise?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure which thread to post this (I know there are a couple about Taos) but Costco will have Taos ticket next week. 2 adults direct to lift, no blackout, $134.99. I think it went up $15-20 from last year. Just FYI.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not sure which thread to post this (I know there are a couple about Taos) but Costco will have Taos ticket next week. 2 adults direct to lift, no blackout, $134.99. I think it went up $15-20 from last year. Just FYI.
Good to have info about lift tickets for this season in this public thread. How long do you think Costco will have the Taos tickets? Do they carry any lift tickets for other NM ski areas?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Costco has always offered lift tickets to selected resorts online - been buying tickets for Tahoe for years.
The lady I spoke to said they should have the tickets until March for Spring break. I saw Angel Fire 2 for $110.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Ikon so I only have 5 days at Taos and I want to ski 6. I could split it with someone...

Let me know if you can’t find anyone to split the tickets - I believe I can buy tickets at a discounted price with my season pass. Will check prices this week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Taos didn't get snow for Christmas but people who are spending the holidays there is week should be pretty happy with the storm that starts today. Becoming clear that often there is high wind associated with a snowstorm at TSV.

All the lifts except Kachina are running today. All the green and blue terrain is open, as are most of the black named trails. There is double-black terrain open off Highline Ridge for those willing to hike.

OpenSnow for Taos as of 12/27/19
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 1.53.47 PM.png

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC Christmas was a powder day. It snowed the night before and powder was everywhere! No wind holds in the last 8 days since I have been here - probably one of the best X’mas week in recent years. Lots of cars in the parking lot but I didn’t see crowds until 11ish, mostly in the front. Still quite empty if you stay on the blacks and in trees. Everyone I talked to feel the snow so far has been wetter and heavier than before. It started snowing as I left for lunch today and hopefully with the cold, the snow will be light like what we are used to!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC Christmas was a powder day. It snowed the night before and powder was everywhere! No wind holds in the last 8 days since I have been here - probably one of the best X’mas week in recent years. Lots of cars in the parking lot but I didn’t see crowds until 11ish, mostly in the front. Still quite empty if you stay on the blacks and in trees. Everyone I talked to feel the snow so far has been wetter and heavier than before. It started snowing as I left for lunch today and hopefully with the cold, the snow will be light like what we are used to!
Good to know! I wasn't following that closely and was more focused on the storm that's supposed to start today. Being able to get Lifts 4 and 8 open certainly makes it easier to spread out the holiday crowd. Does that usually happen by Christmas week?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to know! I wasn't following that closely and was more focused on the storm that's supposed to start today. Being able to get Lifts 4 and 8 open certainly makes it easier to spread out the holiday crowd. Does that usually happen by Christmas week?
They usually try to open at least Chair 7 and 8 for Christmas, but I think they couldn’t the last year or two because of the lack of snow. Pretty sure only lower front was opened for x’mas in 2017 because I didn’t even come up for the week. It does help to spread out the crowds. What I notice is most visitors stay in the front. We had the backside pretty much all to ourselves this whole week until 10am, and even after people slowly get to the back, it is not “crowded” until 11am. Still able to find untouched powder in trees here and there. No lines at 7,7A or 4, I did not go over to 8 but my friend said there were multiple ski week groups on Lower Stauffenberg.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So many cars today, people had to park on the side of the road beyond the service entrance. I left at 11 and there were still a long line of cars coming up. It will probably take an hour to park and another hour to walk to the shuttle/base.
I did not see too many people on the slopes though. I found lots of powder for the first hour before they were all skied up. It was snowing all morning but the sun peeked through enough to give good visibility. Awesome day! It will be just as nice, if not better, for tomorrow!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Guess deep powder brings out crowds pretty much anywhere . . . assuming the roads are passable.

Off topic a bit, but apparently Santa Fe got a huge dump in the last 24 hours. The new OpenSnow forecaster for NM is having a very good time at his home mountain because he made it up the road before it was closed.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 4.55.45 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna