• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2019-20, conditions and open terrain

mustski

Angel Diva
Ski week has been soooo much fun! The ski off was spot on. I skied down and was waved over. At that point, he asked me questions about my goals. I told him that I wanted to ski bumps more proficiently but that I was scared if the run was steep and the bumps were big. He placed me in a group that was a 7/8 crossover and it was a solid decision. My instructor was a genius. He was able to explain small changes in my form that made major changes in my skiing. I'm coming back next year for sure. I can now ski black bump runs - it ain't pretty but it will be with more practice. He is also fine tuned my carving and had me focus on my inside ski. Wow! What a massive difference in my carving - even though I brought my Volkl 90eights and skied them all week. I am demoing some Stockli Stormrider 85 Ws tomorrow. I hope I don't fall in love! I will never be the one who hikes to the ridge to ski the chutes here, but I may ski Kachina tomorrow.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ski week has been soooo much fun! The ski off was spot on. I skied down and was waved over. At that point, he asked me questions about my goals. I told him that I wanted to ski bumps more proficiently but that I was scared if the run was steep and the bumps were big. He placed me in a group that was a 7/8 crossover and it was a solid decision. My instructor was a genius. He was able to explain small changes in my form that made major changes in my skiing. I'm coming back next year for sure. I can now ski black bump runs - it ain't pretty but it will be with more practice. He is also fine tuned my carving and had me focus on my inside ski. Wow! What a massive difference in my carving - even though I brought my Volkl 90eights and skied them all week. I am demoing some Stockli Stormrider 85 Ws tomorrow. I hope I don't fall in love! I will never be the one who hikes to the ridge to ski the chutes here, but I may ski Kachina tomorrow.
Kachina?! You go, girl! I don’t even think if I had the skills I could do it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
It’s a maybe at this point. It depends on how I feel tomorrow. Bob says it’s less steep than Cornice but has big bumps.
Less steep than Cornice? Hmmm. Although I have slid down Cornice, I’ve also skied it successfully. But no bumps. Gotta say, still a no go for me!
I’m looking forward to my ski week.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Looks like a beauty! I am SO sick of the unrelenting gray weather here. Can’t wait to get out there this weekend.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Our news last night said we had 13% of the possible sunshine in January. I’m hoping for sun the week we’re at Taos, too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Heard from my schoolmate who lives at TSV that there was an unexpected couple of inches last night. Forecast looks good for this weekend for folks who want a warm up day on Sat and getting comfortable with their Ski Week group on Sun. Then it gets cold and snowy, which sounds good too!

OpenSnow on 1/31/2020
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.28.24 AM.png

mustski

Angel Diva
Less steep than Cornice? Hmmm. Although I have slid down Cornice, I’ve also skied it successfully. But no bumps. Gotta say, still a no go for me!
I’m looking forward to my ski week.
In the light of day, my inside chicken is popping out; we’ll see.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Weather at TSV will be changing pretty drastically in the next day or two. After another warm, sunny day today, a cold storm is coming in with snow, wind, and frigid temps for Mon-Tue.

OpenSnow as of Feb. 2, 2020, early morning
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.42.24 AM.png

Yamaste

Certified Ski Diva
My instructor was a genius. He was able to explain small changes in my form that made major changes in my skiing. I'm coming back next year for sure. I can now ski black bump runs - it ain't pretty but it will be with more practice. He is also fine tuned my carving and had me focus on my inside ski. Wow! What a massive difference in my carving

Wow, congrats on your effort and improvement! That kind of progress is what we all hope for with ski week.
:yahoo::beer::thumbsup:

Who was your instructor?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like a little less snow and not quite so cold for Monday. While I obviously look at forecasts for places I'm going to ski or just for curiosity to learn weather patterns, I don't take them that seriously more than a day or two before. But starting a week before I leave for when flying west, it's useful to have some idea of what to pack. I brought stuff for relatively warm temps, as well as for frigid temps. Will use everything sooner or later during this week at TSV.

Needless to say, I'm getting dressed this morning based on the Taos website morning conditions report.

OpenSnow as of Feb. 3, early morning
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 6.25.14 AM.png

Morning conditions report on TSV website
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 6.31.47 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
TSV sent out a Powder Alert email this morning. Getting the base up over 70 inches is a big deal for those who like to ski the terrain that was looking pretty full of rocks just a few days ago.

Note that Lifts Operational doesn't mean they will all be open first thing in the morning. Depends on when ski patrol is done with their work. Yesterday Lifts 8, 7, 7A all opened later. Kachina was closed all day. I think Lift 4 stayed closed too. But there was more than enough open terrain for powder turns in the afternoon once Ski Week lessons were over for those with enough energy and experience to enjoy them. Quite a few intermediates probably took the afternoon off since it kept snowing hard all day. Nothing had a "groomed surface."

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 6.49.10 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
After the big snowfall midweek, here's how the TSV instructors handled the groups who were up for hiking the Highline.

On Thursday morning, it was deemed far to windy up top to make it worth hiking. That was even true for a group of "Level 10" men who were hard chargers. They were with the instructor I had in 2019 who loves to take his groups hiking. Our instructor made the decision pretty early, so by the time we took the usual break at Whistlestop, she clearly had come up with an alternate plan for adventures on the frontside black trails.

On Friday morning, it was pretty cloudy on the upper mountain. Not much wind though, but it was obvious that visibility would be low at the top. However, by mid-morning our instructor said that conditions would be okay if we wanted to go. Skiing down would be a non-issue since the idea was to go ski among the trees. We went. Friday is the last day of a Ski Week. It was worth it!

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-taos-feb-1-7-2020.24581/page-3#post-403567

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Now on Day 11 of our 12-day trip to Taos, and IT'S SNOWING AGAIN! :snow:
There's a Winter Storm Warning from the Nat Weather Svc predicting 8-14" above 7500', so we're going to sleep with visions of Powder dancing in our heads.

Will keep you posted...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Let's try that again (I guess I never posted that above comment): Well, today was the last day of my 12-day Taos ski trip, and it was so wonderful that the Ski Goddess graced us with 8+ inches of powder to top off a spectacular trip -- talk about leaving us wanting more! It was an interesting day, weather-wise: waking up to beautiful, dry powder and bright sunshine, and then some clouds moved in, bringing a tiny bit more powder. What I found very interesting was that at 11,000+ ft we were skiing above the clouds! Friends of mine who have skiied the Alps have described that experience to me as common there, but it was a first for me, and quite beautiful. Skiing Above the Clouds, Taos 2-2020.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna