• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowbound Expo Boston, Nov 3-5 2023

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do replies to posts count or only original posts?
Any post counts.

Once you have a few more posts, you should see a subsection called Getting To Know You in the Divas Only section. At the moment there is an active thread with the title "Boston" you could join. Or you could create your own Getting To Know You thread for a self-introduction. That can be a good way to "meet" Divas in your area as well as get in some posts towards the 25 needed to see all the subsections of Divas Only, including Meet On Hill Hill (MOTH) threads. MOTH threads can be started by any "Certified Diva."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Same. I was disappointed with new vendor for expo last November. This year show already looks promising with going back to original venue
Hope to meet you at Snowbound! I'll be there the first couple days. I'll try sending you a PM since you can't see the MOTH thread yet.

The current show organizer is a company based in the UK that has been running very large expos for snowsports, running, and outdoor leisure activities in general in Manchester and London for several years. Fair to say they didn't understand the American markets that well when they took over from previous expo organizers. Potential resorts and other vendors were slow to sign up for Snowbound 2022. Given the success of that weekend and the change back to BCEC, the list of resorts and vendors is much more similar to the last ski expo in 2019. Note that Racoon was supposed to run the expo in 2020, which didn't happen at all because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

One of the people who was part of the trio who had kept the Boston ski expo going in the 2000s was working with Racoon as a consultant for Snowbound 2022. It was clear chatting with her that there was a learning curve for the new people. They were using the model that was developed and very successful in the UK where the guest speakers were more of a draw than any retail vendor.

Getting SkiEssentials on board as a major sponsor and official retailer feels like a big deal for Snowbound Expo. One of the expo's hosts, Mary Walsh, did an interview with the CEO of SkiEssentials about what they want to do to help people who are new to buying gear for the northeast. Walsh is the Editor-In-Chief of Snowboard Magazine.

October 3, 2023

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a new exhibitor that is quite different from the other vendors selling clothing and accessories. BlueBirdie has found a very creative way to reuse and recycle used jackets and pants. They will be accepting used items at their booth.

Come visit the Revive, Reuse, Recycle Zone brought to you by BirdieBlue.

Bring your old snow pants, skis bibs, winter jackets, tents, windbreakers, snowsuit onesies from the 90s …no matter the condition (we LOVE the duct tape look)…. to the Revive, Reuse, Recycle Zone (Booth F92) for upcycling.

Here you can learn how BirdieBlue turns this OLD gear into NEW bags. The Birdie team will even have an upcycling station set up to allow you to join in the fun of cutting and splicing your old gear.

Perhaps the best part? Upcycle with us and you will receive a discount code good for 15% your next BirdieBlue purchase. Now all you will have to do is decide which bag is coming with you on your next #birdieblueadventure.

WHAT WE ACCEPT: BirdieBlue accepts snow jackets, ski pants, snow bibs, wind breakers, rain jackets, ripped tents, the rocking 80s onesie snow suit in the back your closet… regardless of the condition. Any old gear that is water resistant and waterproof that has been worn and well loved throughout all of your outdoor adventures is Birdie’s TREASURE. We are VERY good at cutting around holes, dirt and duck tape in our quest to give old gear new life. We are working on our tricks to upcycle as much gear as possible but currently we cannot accept puffer jackets, down filled sleeping bags, down filled vests, merino wool base layers, clothing made from natural and cotton fibers etc.

Mjm11

Certified Ski Diva
I started a Roll Call in the MOTH thread for Snowbound 2023. If you can't get to it and want to the plan for meeting other Divas in person, post a question here or send a PM. Snowbound opens in about two weeks!

For those not sure how best to get to BCEC:

Parking is $5 on a few surface lots 5-10 min walk from BCEC on weekends. It's possible to make a reservation in advance.
Thanks for the parking info. Any way to get access to your rollcall? Thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the parking info. Any way to get access to your rollcall? Thanks!
Once you’ve posted 25 times you will have access to the Divas Only section. Just keep commenting or start a getting to know you thread, it goes pretty quick. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbound 2023 is returning to the idea that having a strong retailer is helpful to newbies who are ready to buy gear but not sure how to start. SkiEssentials is the hub of the Retail Zone that includes a few brands booths as well. SkiEssentials is going to offer boot fitting and free mounting for items bought. If what you want isn't in stock, you can buy at the discounted price and next day delivery to your home. The better known brands include Elan, Atomic, Rossignol, Technica, Arbor Collective, Lange, Fischer, Blizzard, K2, and Line.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm curious what Ski Essentials' "boot fitting" will entail. In any case, having free mounting is already a step above what the sole retailer at the old ski expo offered.

For those who haven't been before, aside from shopping for goods and some lift ticket and lodging deals and just general info about resorts and brands, you can look forward to free swag, raffles, spin the wheel prizes, and one or two photo ops. @marzNC joined me for a photo on the podium at the Head / Tyrolia booth last year.

Snowbound 2022 - 2.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
The featured exhibitors in the latest reminder emails include:

ACCESSORIES
BirdieBlue, Cardo Systems, CEP Compression, Darn Tough, Hestra Gloves, Inferno USA, Kulkea, Minus33 Merino Wool, OOSC Clothing, PHOOZY Phunkshun Wear, Pure Mountain Fun, Ski The East, SKIDA

CLOTHING, OUTERWARE
Burgeon Outdoor, Deuter, Don Subtle, Fera, Helly Hansen, North45, Ortovox, Seirus Innovation, Terracea, Ushood, Vertical Brands, WSI Sports

For people interested in skis, snowboards, alpine boots, touring boots, or snowshoes there are brands with booths around the expo, plus brands with booths inside the Retail Zone hosted by SkiEssentials.

SKIS AROUND THE EXPO
Blizzard
Fischer
Head
J Skies
Meier
Parlor
Peak
Stöckli

SKIS INSIDE RETAIL ZONE
Volkl
K2
Salomon
Rossignol
Dynastar
Line
Nordica
Elan

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm curious what Ski Essentials' "boot fitting" will entail. In any case, having free mounting is already a step above what the sole retailer at the old ski expo offered.
And props to Ski Essentials. I tested them out, and while of course it wasn't a true "fitting" with measuring width, arch, etc, I was satisfied with the size advice for the length of my foot, which I consider pretty good for a quick ask at a ski show. I wasn't asking for particular boot recommendations, nor did I try any on there. But I asked what size boot I should buy, he asked how many days I ski, I downgraded a little and said around 15 (I wanted to see if he would suggest a more comfort fit.) After measuring the length of both feet he said a 24, but if I were to get in more than 50 days maybe try sizing down to a 23. And I do wear a 24 but have wondered about a 23. I didn't want to take up too much of his time so at that point I just thanked him and moved on. I also noticed that elsewhere in the booth they even had after market insoles for when trying on boots.

I did try on a pair of boots with Boa lacing at another booth out of curiosity. I liked how easy it was to dial in the fit on the clog part of the boot, compared to fiddling with a micro-adjust buckle (which I can never remember which way to turn.) And on that pair, even sitting down, the 24 felt quite long on my foot compared to my own boots. So who knows, depending on brand I might size down next time even if I can't ever fit in 50 or more ski days (but I keep trying!)

MissySki

Angel Diva
And props to Ski Essentials. I tested them out, and while of course it wasn't a true "fitting" with measuring width, arch, etc, I was satisfied with the size advice for the length of my foot, which I consider pretty good for a quick ask at a ski show. I wasn't asking for particular boot recommendations, nor did I try any on there. But I asked what size boot I should buy, he asked how many days I ski, I downgraded a little and said around 15 (I wanted to see if he would suggest a more comfort fit.) After measuring the length of both feet he said a 24, but if I were to get in more than 50 days maybe try sizing down to a 23. And I do wear a 24 but have wondered about a 23. I didn't want to take up too much of his time so at that point I just thanked him and moved on. I also noticed that elsewhere in the booth they even had after market insoles for when trying on boots.

I did try on a pair of boots with Boa lacing at another booth out of curiosity. I liked how easy it was to dial in the fit on the clog part of the boot, compared to fiddling with a micro-adjust buckle (which I can never remember which way to turn.) And on that pair, even sitting down, the 24 felt quite long on my foot compared to my own boots. So who knows, depending on brand I might size down next time even if I can't ever fit in 50 or more ski days (but I keep trying!)
Different brands are absolutely longer or shorter than each other in the same size. I measure to a 24.5 in length, but size down to a 23.5 because the other dimensions of my feet need less volume. I can more easily fit into some brands than others. Most I don’t need any length work done, but in the past I did have one boot that I needed it on for one toe.

I don’t necessarily agree that you need to hit a certain number of days per season to downsize. If it makes sense overall for the rest of your foot and you are actively working on your skiing and a good skier already, which you are, I think you’d benefit from the additional control you get in a more performance fit boot. But of course sitting down for a more formal fitting would tell you that and allow you to get more of a feel with your own feet.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

I tried the Atomic boa, loved them...don't need them yet. (I said yet since I know Divas are enablers)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Atomic boa, loved them...don't need them yet. (I said yet since I know Divas are enablers)
Which BOA. I'm guessing the Ultra XTD since that seemed to be the one getting the most traction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga