• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing again after injury

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone -- I'm new here and just want to say this thread has given me tons of hope and has returned me to my former, risk-taking (w/in reason), inner-athlete, strong self. I'm having a knee replacement 2 weeks from today and I know the only thing that's going to get me through the recovery is my eye on the prize of skiing in 2019.

Long ago, from ages 9 - 30ish, I was an expert skier with a passion for the moguls... that may have to go, ok with that. But returning to the rest of it -- decades later -- is so exciting! I have another challenge which is to get some weight off ... like about 50 lbs. But I know what I have to do and again, keeping my eye on the prize is what works. I started reading knee-replacement threads on other sites and I have to say I'm just not motivated as much by fear as I am by excitement, so those scary surgery threads didn't do too much for me.

Keep these great posts coming. I'll be reading them a lot!

Babette

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Babette! Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your head is in a good place, and that's a big part in a successful recovery. Wishing you the best of luck, and be sure to keep us posted.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks 2ski! I have no intention of sitting around until I'm a certain size! I've skied at all shapes and sizes. The only thing I need to do is have my knee replaced and then begin what is a horribly long period of healing and rehab. So many people say it can take a year! I'm really hoping to beat that and be one the slopes in 2019! Thanks again for the support!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
While my confidence suffered, I was actually in better physical shape from all the physical therapy. They even had a wii machine that "took me through the race course"!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's super! Did you have PT from the very beginning of your injury? I ask because the whole PT community seems divided right now with some saying, rest (no formal PT), then rehab (PT). What do you think?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I did PT from the very beginning, very gently at first, but always increasing in intensity. I've been taught that maintaining muscle around the knees is key. My MRI's say I shouldn't be walking or skiing ( replacing knees instead), but because I keep doing things that strengthen the knees, they tell me to "keep on keeping on". It's working for me so far!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have bone on bone arthritis in both knees. There is 0 cartilage left. I'm temporarily disabled/housebound until this surgery! Grrrrr I can't wait!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Yes, I've been bone on bone arthritis in both knees for years. That's why there are 6 reasons on the MRIs that I shouldn't be walking or skiing; I know I'm very lucky that I'm getting by... Vent on! Divas are good listeners!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And you don't have pain? Like childbirth level pain? That's amazing! Then again, maybe mine have been this bad for years and I'm only now feeling pain. Bodies are so mysterious.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Weather tells me about it. And carrying things of any weight on stairs... I have a handicapped placard that's essential at slopes to get me close when I have to carry the skis. But, NO PAIN on the slopes! Miraculous! Yes, I KNOW I'm lucky!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you get a script for pool-based prehab?? Getting those muscles strong and firing before the replacement will make rehab afterwards drastically easier.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been taking a water aerobics class for months and only stopped now because I can't walk from the parking lot to the door, can't manage changing my clothes, etc. This pre-op pain is really bad. Don't know if water aerobics are anything like pool-based rehab...

newboots

Angel Diva
Ouch! That surgery can’t come soon enough!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna