• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing again after injury

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Over the past 2 years both of my children (now ages 9 and 13), and I, have had injuries directly related to skiing. My 7 yr old daughter crashed into a tree and wound up on the ICU. She had serious and significant injuries. 9 months later she was eager to get back on skis, and did beautifully. Two years later, on his first day skiing for the season, my 13 yr old son gets crashed into by a falling skier and breaks his tibia plateau. He's out for the count this year. A few weeks ago I got injured by an out of control skier and have an AC Joint separation and cervical spine sprain ( I wasn't on skis at the time, but standing in front of the lodge). I've been off skis for 3 weeks now. Hoping to be back out there soon.

Here's the thing. Skiing can be dangerous obviously. Its also an amazing wonderful sport. I love most things about it, the lifestyle, culture, the people, all of it. My son and I can't wait to get back out there and I look forward to next season when all three of us will be out there again together. I'm thrilled that I created a post-divorce ski family as a single mom with my kiddos.

The thing that keeps bugging me are all the non skiers. All I hear is "sounds like it's time to find another hobby", or "you guys are dangerous!", or "Perhaps stay of the slopes this year", etc. etc. Skiers.....their first question is, "when you can you ski again?". I don't want to be rude of course, but I find it very annoying, presumptuous, and judgmental for anyone to assume that injury would keep me/us from returning to the sport and lifestyle we love and miss. Heck, even the ortho knew that my first question was gonna be, "when can I get back out there?" (he's also a skier).

So how do you handle it when people tell you to stop skiing after injury? Could you imagine quitting after recovery?

newboots

Angel Diva
I haven't had this experience (fingers crossed). But I started skiing at an advanced age, and while many of my friends have responded with enthusiasm, some either try to hide their disapproval or voice it out loud. A long-time acquaintance proceeded to say, "I hope you're talking about cross-country skiing," and when I corrected her, lectured me on the risks. (Should I add that she is in dire need of exercise herself, and the risks to her are likely cardiovascular?) (I was annoyed.)

Swears Like A Sailor

Diva in Training
So I've had some relatively minor injuries in my short skiing tenure, but luckily nothing that kept me down for more than a month. No one has dared to suggest that I should quit or find something less risky because everyone knows just how addicted I have become to this sport. They also know I would probably just tell them to STFU...so yeah, I just don't really care enough about what other people think to let it stop me from doing what I love. Telling me to stop skiing would be like telling me to stop eating, drinking or breathing. Hell, I did mixed martial arts for almost two years and got hurt doing that way more often than I ever have skiing.

Jilly

Staff member
Gawd - I've been skiing for 55 years. Yeah, I'm officially old. In the course of those years...one concussion while teaching (before helmets) and a pulled hamstring. Now both of those were in my younger years.

Skiing is something you can do till you decide you're too old. Unlike hockey, maybe tennis, not sure about golf, but....there is so much joy in sliding down a hill.

I don't think I've ever had a friend question this sport. Most just don't like winter, so anything outside is questioned. Lots of friends are now curlers.....I hate ice without a sharp blade or spike under foot. And why would you want to spend hours inside, when you already spent enough with work or sleeping. Hockey involves finding other people to play with.

We started skiing as a family back in the 60's. Girls didn't play hockey unless it was on the neighbour rink. I was too fat for figure skating and again, Mom or Dad wanted a family sport we could all do. Now my Mom eventually went XC, but she was still out there.

As I've said, I've never had anyone question why....mostly it's the $$!

mustski

Angel Diva
Both DH and I have had doctors suggest that we shouldn’t ski anymore due to different non skiing related issues. DH has a very advanced auto immune; he changed doctors. I had a overly tight piriformus muscle that was affecting my flexibility. It was a new doctor - very young, very nice. I leaned forward and said, “ you misunderstand me; I don’t plan to live with this. I plan to remedy it. I do not intend to discuss skiing with you. I intend to discuss it with the physical therapist to whom you are going to refer me.” He got it and has been an excellent doctor ever since.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I have not experienced injury from skiing, but I had to work through multiple issues the first year that I was running. Cramps, bone spurs, back pain, etc... I was lucky to have a good chiropractor who partnered with me to work through it all. Then I got whiplash which put a damper on pretty much everything for awhile. While certainly not as serious as the injuries your family has had to work through, it did make me question if it was worth it to keep running and skiing. I had long discussions with my doctor and my chiropractor, both of whom supported my goals of living a healthy and active lifestyle year-round.

When people give me grief about skiing (or running) I simply say that I enjoy the sport and the lifestyle, and that I’m aware of the risks.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Passion for the sport is what keeps us out there, even post-injury.
I will say, I still have flashbacks on occasion to my tibial plateau fracture (and other soft tissue injuries with it) from 3 years ago, particularly when I get going at a speed that is on the edge of my comfort zone, which is how I was skiing when it happened. Oh, and in slush. I get pretty uptight in slush, because it happened in slush. I probably need to put on my "pissed off" pants and go get angry at the stuff that still scares me.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do we stop riding our bicycles when we fall? Do we stop driving cars because we had an accident?

Life is risk. It is responsible to take precautions to mitigate our injuries, but to stop doing what we love just because we were injured? Not me.

My mom always said, "Live Life."

If I quit doing everything that caused an injury, I would be sitting in my chair in the living room. No wait, my back hurts when I sit too long. No more cooking - I've been burned and cut my fingers. My grandmother broke her hip carrying a basket of laundry down the stairs. (Although it is an interesting excuse, it's not a reason to stop.) I broke my fibula while ice skating and dislocated my shoulder while water skiing. I was taking a photo when I tripped and fell - broke my rib. 25 stitches when I cut my foot on something while swimming in a lake.

Die Living. :ski:

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks ladies. I needed to read all that. I started Pat this week. I'm dealing with some nerve related injury which seemed to surface after the swelling from the ac joint separation began to go down. The pt strongly urged me to wait, saying if I fell it would be very bad for me. Ok..i agree. So I'm waiting longer. The ortho didn't say anything to me about not skiing again. It's mostly coworkers and family who are reacting to all 3 of getting hurt and somehow thinking if we quit we'd be better off. The way I look at it is this, skiing makes us so happy and it's the wonderful lifestyle me and my kids have together. I'll wait while my son and I recover, but I'm not quitting. I honestly think that people whom encourage us to stop don't have anything in their life they feel passionate about that they can relate it to.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's just a different perspective on life. Some people would hole up in their houses and putter around the garden for the rest of their lives and keep things safe and cozy. There is nothing wrong with that if it brings you joy. I've been hurt skiing and yeah, it totally freaks me out to think I could get hurt again. (Like @contessant I have similar flash-backy moments when I encounter conditions/terrain similar to when I got hurt) But to let the fear of WHAT IF hold you down from doing things you love is just silly. You know your skill levels, and what you're capable of - most of the time. ;)
I always joke around with my friends that if it doesn't require a helmet, I'm not interested. And that's somewhat true. My favorite activities have a high risk factor - rafting, caving, rappelling, horseback riding... I've gotten hurt in various ways doing all of those things at some point. Doesn't mean I won't still do it. Being out there in the mountains - in whatever capacity - is what makes me feel alive and in tune with nature. I can't imagine a life where I won't be doing those things. I've slowed down on caving but that is one sport that really does start to have some physical limitations, at least in comparison to the type of caving I did in my younger years. I have friends that don't really "get it" but know that I'm a mountain girl at heart so they just shrug and enjoy living vicariously through me.

I keep skiing because I feel the risk is worth it. There is just nothing like that feeling. If I get hurt, then... so be it. At least I won't have to say I broke my ankle falling up the stairs. ;) (Sorry if any of you have done that - I know it's entirely possible, haha)

SkiBam

Angel Diva
A friend injured herself badly a year ago January. Very very keen skier (not a young woman - mid seventies). She suffered an extreme injury to her leg and knee and only now (more than a year after the event), after months in hospital and rehab, of not being able to walk, physio, knee replacement, and more physio is she gaining what seems to be normal use of her leg. She walks long distances, now snowshoes and hopes to get back to biking this summer. But her family has told her they will not support her if she does something stupid again - "something stupid" like skiing.

I personally don't think it's "stupid" for someone who's a good skier and in good shape (despite her age) to ski if that's what she wants to do. At the moment, she's very hesitant about getting back to skiing - but it should be HER decision, not her family's. If my kids took that attitude with me, I would be very unhappy. (I like to think they wouldn't and would support me no matter what - hope so.)

kiki

Angel Diva
I think @2ski2moro worded it perfectly.

We all have our own risk tolerances. Life is full of risk, and every day we are in some way or another involved in risk management.

For me, my husband has not been super keen on my skiing. The time. The money. The sore knees. The risk of injury. My being sick three times this winter which is being blamed on too much time out in the cold.... My friends too seemed to wonder why I would do this, this winter. they question why would i do that BOTH days on a weekend instead of "relaxing". Instead of doing courses. Instead of watching netflix or doing a home reno project. Obviously I am crazy and obsessive....

No one knows what is in your heart and head but you, but if you can find a way to share that with others so they can get a glimmer of why it is important they may be more supportive.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski with an 84 year old woman a few times a month. I swear that she could put a $100 bill between her boots and ski to the bottom without losing any money. Smooth, old school skier with style! Her kids (in their 60s) don't want her to ski, but she doesn't want to stop. Her compromise is blue bird days with great viz, slower speeds on groomed runs, and nothing steeper than a blue. She has no intention of stopping, as evidenced by the fact that she is in a hunt for new boots.

I love to ski with her. She tells me that I can go off and ski where I want, but I want to ski with her. Any day on the hill is a good day. I work on my technique while she takes her time. I suspect she could smoke me if she wanted to, but smooth and easy is her style now.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone -- Have been lurking but this is my first post in a looong time. :smile: But this thread resonated with me. This season I'm back on skis after two (yes 2!) torn ACLs --- the second torn about 6 weeks after I stopped PT after the first. Also from skiing. On the bunny hill. :P UGH. Long story. :smile: BUT -- after all the heartache and lots more PT... am happy to say I'm back on skis this year -- with two braces now :smile: I honestly didn't know where my head would be coming back this year -- but I was surprised to find that it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might . I think it really helped that those closest to me were supportive from the start. I guess they know me well. :smile:

I have to admit it's taken a lot of the "carefree" feeling away -- and I'm always checking to make sure that no one can slam into me from the back. The thought terrifies me now... but other than that, I am having a great season and I am really hoping for an injury free season -- especially now that my 5 year old has discovered a love for it too and cant wait to "go ski school" every day she can. We try to avoid crowds and I give my kids many, many lectures on staying safe and being aware of what's going on around them, how to identify out of control skiiers, etc.

I'm sure some people think I'm nuts -- and its a surprise even to me how much I still want to do it despite the high price I have paid so far... but end of the day -- who cares what anyone else thinks -- it all depends on how you actually feel about it - and if the desire to ski trumps the fear of getting hurt again, only you can make the call that's best for your family.

PS -- Hi Brooke!!! I will drop you a note soon!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love to ski with her. She tells me that I can go off and ski where I want, but I want to ski with her. Any day on the hill is a good day. I work on my technique while she takes her time. I suspect she could smoke me if she wanted to, but smooth and easy is her style now.

This is awesome. And Amen sistah.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
haha, try being a mountain biker. I had ACL surgery w/hamstring graft in September. My PT said, as active as you are something was bound to happen. My sister broke her neck when she tripped on the stairs in her house.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As some of you know, I'm over 60 and have been skiing without an ACL for a while. This is the sixth season and the knee injury had nothing to do with skiing. The fact that I wanted to continue skiing and improving my technique was the incentive for spending time doing ski conditioning year round plus finding ways to work with very experienced (PSIA Level 3 or Examiner) instructors. I'm sure my husband thought I was taking too much risk, but since he doesn't ski and never gets to see the challenging terrain I ski these days, he may not worry as much as he might otherwise. We've been married long enough that he didn't fuss too much. Lucky for me, I have supportive friends who ski, including quite a few Divas I've met in recent years.

The investment in lessons and time for as much deliberate practice as practical has paid off. Not planning to stop learning for quite a while. My parents didn't ski. But they were very active well into their 80s doing other things.

Crr

Diva in Training
haha, try being a mountain biker. I had ACL surgery w/hamstring graft in September. My PT said, as active as you are something was bound to happen. My sister broke her neck when she tripped on the stairs in her house.
Love this! So true. I had full mcl acl tear and patella reconstruction years ago . Happened horse riding , not skiing. My parents constantly tell me to stop doing sports and I always say, well you can die crossing the street soooo. Live life while you can! Also agree to the statement any day on the hill is a good day, fresh air, mountains, poutine , what’s not to love ?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Passion for the sport is what keeps us out there, even post-injury.
I will say, I still have flashbacks on occasion to my tibial plateau fracture (and other soft tissue injuries with it) from 3 years ago, particularly when I get going at a speed that is on the edge of my comfort zone, which is how I was skiing when it happened. Oh, and in slush. I get pretty uptight in slush, because it happened in slush. I probably need to put on my "pissed off" pants and go get angry at the stuff that still scares me.

My spiral femur fracture was three years ago this weekend and I've been much like you. This year I'm not going to the slopes for race weekend (the one I was going to got cancelled because the high speed quad was and still is down). Soooo, I turned Women on Wednesday into Tues-Weds-Thurs each week! The past three weeks have been absurdly rainy and record breaking warm er hot! Soooo, I've gotten tons of practice on the slush and Thursday, probably my last day skiing in NC this season, I realized I was no longer panicking on the slush; I was thoroughly enjoying it!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna