• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing again after injury

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm of the thinking that it's healthier for me to ski. I say "No self-respecting germ would be out in the extreme cold!" And two weeks ago my orthopedic surgeon told me he wished I could teach his other patients to be so active!
This winter's injuries: 2 cracked ribs-ice skating, back injury-getting off shuttle bus in Winter Park, 3 jammed fingers-tubing in Winter Park and a huge blood blister-dropped ski boot on shoed big toe!
Notice NONE of these happened ON a ski slope. Nope I'm clutsy everywhere else except the pool!

newboots

Angel Diva
Agreed. I started skiing after an injury on interior stairs in my house. I realized, as I sat out much of the summer, that I needed to become much more fit as I head into "midlife" (old age!). I added skiing to my winter physical activity. You can only ice skate outdoors in a few places and at certain times where I was living, and going around in circles under flourescent lights wasn't going to draw me often enough to keep me in shape in winter!

It's not enough; I need to do much more. But it gets me out of the house one or two days a week, and definitely gets me moving!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I fractured my tibial plateau skiing 8 years ago, my boss at the time said something along the lines of that’s you done with skiing. My response was, yes, for this season. She was shocked and told me she used to ski but hurt her knee once and never went back to it. Clearly she wasn’t that keen on skiing in the first place! It never occurred to me to stop skiing. Small children and distance from the mountains mean I haven’t skied as much as I used to these last few seasons, but every season I’ve skied at little bit more. Skiing also keeps me fit all winter because it keeps me working out to avoid knee pain and get the most out of the precious few days I can ski. It was hard going back after injury and I do now have moments of fear which I never experienced before my accident, but I always manage to get past it and it’s far outweighed by the pure joy of being out on the mountains and now seeing my kids sharing it with me.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Update:

I returned to skiing this weekend for the first time since my Jan injury. Ortho said I could, but had to take it easy..."long green runs, nothing aggressive". Arrived at Okemo only to discover my skis weren't in the Thule. My boyfriend left my skis at home!!!! I had to rent (gasp!). The rentals were horrible, and heavy. My neck, shoulder and back still hurt from the cervical spine sprain/AC Joint separation and maneuvering these logs through the thick snow that fell the day before was difficult. My Rossignols are nimble and responsive and these Volkl rentals were the complete opposite. I skied VERY slowly. So slow that my 9 year old kept telling me, "Mommy, you're skiing well, but SO SLOW!". It was true. I was scheduled to participate in a club race for my ski clubs on-snow carnival. I decided to follow through, taking it slow, just finishing the course (the ortho said I could). I watched the video. It was as if I was skiing in slow motion ( I was 4th from last). Turning like I was hocky stopping. It was awful. Horrible skiing. When I was out trying to relax and just ski around with my kid and my friends I was so jumpy. I actually yelled at some people who skied too close to me, or skied up right behind me, or were approaching the lift lines at full speed. Clearly, this is going to take some time. I'm disappointed. I *tired* to have fun. It just wasn't' there. Felt like I was holding everyone back. I actually felt embarrassed at how badly I was skiing. Its like I was set back years. :-( I'm going to try to ski again before the season ends. This time on MY skis. Hopefully I'll be feeling stronger physically, and will be less fearful and jumpy. I'm hoping this passes. I miss the fun.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Were they "regular" rentals, or did you go to the demo center? I'm guessing you won't let this happen again, but if it were to, it could be worth it to pay the extra $15 and go for a demo so you can try to pick something closer to what you are used to skiing and switch out if you hate it.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Were they "regular" rentals, or did you go to the demo center? I'm guessing you won't let this happen again, but if it were to, it could be worth it to pay the extra $15 and go for a demo so you can try to pick something closer to what you are used to skiing and switch out if you hate it.
Sadly, "regular" rentals. I was at Okemo with my 2 kids. I didn't know my BF forgot my skis until we were already at the mtn. I didn't want to take the time to look into demos, or to go back down into town since we were there for an event that started very early. I felt pretty stuck with the crapola rentals. Had I known he forgot them, I would have dealt with it on Friday in town and gotten something I would likely have enjoyed. That's what I get for leaving my skis with him to tune! lol.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Don't they have a demo center on mountain there?
yes, but I didn't think about it at the time, and it's
  • $60 daily demo fee
  • Daily demo fees up to $120 can be applied to the purchase of skis any time this season
And I really wouldn't want to spend the $.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Two different issues here: You described the rental skis perfectly! One trip up here to VT the airline put my skis on a plane to New York instead of West Lebanon. I was to meet Ski Diva herself the next day to show her around Suicide Six. I was forced to rent the "crapola" skis and it was a nightmare from my point of view. She probably thought I had no idea what I was doing on skis! :redface:

Skiing after injury: My experience as well as observation of friends after injury is that most of us are skiddish when starting back. I don't want anyone close to me/behind me etc. I've found that it helps to have someone you totally trust "sweep" behind you to prevent anyone from getting too close. The time people feel this need varies greatly with the individual, but go that route as long as you feel the need! Having "push piles" like I experienced at Okemo Friday ~does not~ inspire confidence! It ~will~ get better!:hug:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Audski first time back after injury is hard. Even when you think you’re fine, it often takes a while until you really are. When I first went back after my injury, I was freaked out by everything - flat light, bumps in the snow, people skiing too close or too fast, steepish slopes - basically if it wasn’t a green or easy blue run in perfect groomed condition, I couldn’t cope. It was weird, because I hadn’t been a nervous skier up until then. It’s taken a while but I am getting back to the skier I used to be and more importantly I’m really enjoying myself again. However, I went ice-skating yesterday for the first time in years and I was terrrified of falling! Go easy on yourself. It probably will take a bit of time, but it will come good. If you can squeeze in a lesson that can help too - the confidence boost I got from hearing a professional tell me I’m a good skier was just what I needed. Also, if there’s anyone in the world who will understand why you returned to skiing after injury, it’s a ski instructor!

newboots

Angel Diva
It makes total sense to be nervous about people coming up behind you or skiing too close. Don't put yourself down for it - it's a neurophysiological reaction, not a choice!

Ditto the skiing slowly. It's hard to think of a worse way to arrange your first day back! Be kind to yourself!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
After I broke a leg from having someone slam into me, it took most of a full season to stop flinching everytime I heard someone come too close. My accident was in April, and the first time out the following season, I didn't think I was going to continue. My SO stuck with me, as I went at a snails pace, and I did get past it and found skiing fun again. It just takes time. It also didn't help to have my entire non-skiing family saying well is this what it took for Mary to come to her senses and stop skiing...at HER AGE!!!! I was almost 50 it the time! Here it is 15 years later, still haven't come to my senses! Hope I never do!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
After I broke a leg from having someone slam into me, it took most of a full season to stop flinching everytime I heard someone come too close. My accident was in April, and the first time out the following season, I didn't think I was going to continue. My SO stuck with me, as I went at a snails pace, and I did get past it and found skiing fun again. It just takes time. It also didn't help to have my entire non-skiing family saying well is this what it took for Mary to come to her senses and stop skiing...at HER AGE!!!! I was almost 50 it the time! Here it is 15 years later, still haven't come to my senses! Hope I never do!
Amen to that! I hope I don't come to my senses either!!! :ski:

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Just wanted to update to say that I skied this past weekend with my daughter, boyfriend and some friends. I wasn't in much pain and we had a really fun time. I was a bit sore the next day but it wasn't bad. I didnt yell at people this time, but was still a bit jumpy when people.skied too close. I used my old blizzard vivas and skied well on them. I was so happy to be back out there that I'm going again this weekend with my 9 yr old daughter. Still taking it safe and slow :smile:

Evangelina

Diva in Training
I broke my hip in a ski accident. Just spent the last five months on crutches. I have full intentions on going skiing again, if my recovery continues to go well.
You have no idea of all the comments I got over the past few months. It does not bother me. I am tough.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Evangelina - so sorry to hear it! Glad you’re tough, but feel free to rant or whine here! Nothing but support here. Welcome!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would you believe I STILL have issues with people passing to closely or coming up behind me, and my broken pelvis was NINE YEARS AGO,

Returning to skiing after injury requires patience and persistence. You have to shrug off the negative self-talk and just enjoy being out there. It's harder than it sounds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna