• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sizing down extra in boots

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were to need to rent boots for some reason, I'd sure prefer a demo over your run of the mill unisex rental boot! Mountainside at Wachusett has demo boots, but I've always figured that was more for people demoing skis for their first pair when they haven't bought their own boots yet. So not as much to try out the particular boot, but just to get them into a better fitting boot at a more appropriate flex for trying out the skis.
Absolutely on that.
In a perfect world I'd never rent a boot again in my life but if something happened and I had to, I'd rather a high end rental or demo boot over basic rentals.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. I've never actually demoed a boot before so great to know. I just heard it was an option sometimes but didn't know details.
The issues I had with the demo boots at Northstar was that someone would demo a boot and come into the shop to ask for it and...
The boot was no longer current
The demo person didn't get them in the right size or volume
A new boot feels nothing like a boot that has been skied in by a gazillion people.​

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ All that makes sense, and yet .... Footloose in Mammoth has demo boots from the current season (AFAIK) and it seems like a decent way to narrow it down between a few choices. Of course, as you are well aware, that would never work for me. My boots have to be adjusted way too much before I can even safely ski them.

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There a girl in my weekly ski group who plays the part of her own bootfitter and she's been having issues. Her latest thing is she decided she needed gel heel lifts so obviously the result of another Google search. A Google search and article recommendations is quite a bit different from a qualified professional making recommendations based on feedback from the person. My boots are definitely Torins doing because we chatted about boots for quite a while before he had me try different ones in so definitely his recommendations. I ski a gazillion days a year and a qualified bootfiyter makes my ski world go round.

Gppd luck. Some people get lucky with buying online so hope you are one of them.

Let us know how it goes.
I tend to spend hours and hours researching and reading every professional and individual review on every website so I feel like I can’t go wrong. Plus I’m more of a I’d rather know myself time of person in life but I definently could see if someone was blindly picking a boot where they could go wrong. I’ve memorized the widths and what type of terrain each boot does best on as well as their downfalls and which body types may have issues with them… the Mach 1’s you have I read is great for aggressive skiing on groomers or someone who enjoys fast skiing which is appealing to me. Thank you will do!!! Now I’m gonna feel obligated to buy more skis to pair with the boots

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The issues I had with the demo boots at Northstar was that someone would demo a boot and come into the shop to ask for it and...
The boot was no longer current
The demo person didn't get them in the right size or volume
A new boot feels nothing like a boot that has been skied in by a gazillion people.​
Yea I used to think that I could have a boot as a borrow boot that I still used myself to justify having extra boots, but the more I ski the more I realize no way I’m letting someone else’s foot stretch out my ski boot(would have a seperate burner pair). The foot in my current boot is so conforming (without mods) that I can ski half unbuckled on my first casual run of the day lol, def wouldn’t be the case had a variety of foot shapes been in and out of it probably. There are some floor model 2023 mach1’s for $419 vs 699 that are tempting, haven’t been skied in but the idea of them being taken on and off by people makes them less appealing

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tend to spend hours and hours researching and reading every professional and individual review on every website so I feel like I can’t go wrong. Plus I’m more of a I’d rather know myself time of person in life but I definently could see if someone was blindly picking a boot where they could go wrong. I’ve memorized the widths and what type of terrain each boot does best on as well as their downfalls and which body types may have issues with them… the Mach 1’s you have I read is great for aggressive skiing on groomers or someone who enjoys fast skiing which is appealing to me. Thank you will do!!! Now I’m gonna feel obligated to buy more skis to pair with the boots

That's great your an educated consumer. I'm not an aggressive skier nor fast who only skis groomed so you can't go by the description by the marketer for my Nordicas I ski moderate speeds and ski everything from groomers to ungroomed and just about everything in between. I can know all about boots and what they are known to ski best but until I've gone to a master bootfitter course and am experienced fitter I leave the choice of the boot to the pro.

I'm in the boot I'm in not because i ski fast or agressive on groomers but because it fits my feet the best. My SO is in a race boot not because he's a racer but because he's got narrow ankles and these race boots fit him the best.

It's a lot more than being a product nerd knowing the marketing buzz words tagged with the ski boot.

Trust me I've lots of opinions about lots of things and while it's good to be informed, bootfitting is an art so I leave that to the master.

Many people research a boot and have to go get it fitted which you pay for and then have to go back for tweak after tweak and have to pay for that too. I go to the bootfitter and get my recommendation for a boot by my guy whose also a pedarthist. Any tweaks I need are included so free. All I pay for is the boot

I've spent many a years in the wrong boot and have learned the value of a bootfitter.

Hope you find your happy boot soon.

Ski on.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I find that interesting.. I don't at all look at what a boot is reviewed to be "best for". I mean yes, the Mach 1 is great for fast carving.. but I also ski mostly off piste in bumps and trees when possible, and I'm more of a finesse than hard charging skier. It did take me a bit to get used to the stiffness in that terrain at first (and I think that might have actually been a comment of the reviews I read the year I got them), since I'm in the 115 and it is stiffer than previous boots I've had.. but it's all good now and I love the control. My boot choice was guided by my bootfitter for my anatomical needs mostly. He also knows what and how I ski of course, but I have a somewhat difficult foot to fit and it is all about that fit due to that. The best fitting and aligned boot is what ultimately performs best for me, wherever I ski them.

I am envious of anyone who has feet that allow them to wear boots out of the box to start. Needing a very low volume boot for most of your foot, when you also have a wide forefoot makes things tough. In a sized down boot I am doubtful I could ski most of them without having that part of the boot modified first. A 96 or 98 last will not fully allow my foot to sit flat in the front of the boot and will either cut off my circulation or cause excruciating pain with skiing from the squeezing.. depending on the boot and exact fit. This is the only real modification I have to start, my fitter stretches that area to shape it to my foot, then I ski for 8-10 days, and go back for anything that pops up and needs tweaking.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
I find that interesting.. I don't at all look at what a boot is reviewed to be "best for". I mean yes, the Mach 1 is great for fast carving.. but I also ski mostly off piste in bumps and trees when possible, and I'm more of a finesse than hard charging skier. It did take me a bit to get used to the stiffness in that terrain at first (and I think that might have actually been a comment of the reviews I read the year I got them), since I'm in the 115 and it is stiffer than previous boots I've had.. but it's all good now and I love the control. My boot choice was guided by my bootfitter for my anatomical needs mostly. He also knows what and how I ski of course, but I have a somewhat difficult foot to fit and it is all about that fit due to that. The best fitting and aligned boot is what ultimately performs best for me, wherever I ski them.

I am envious of anyone who has feet that allow them to wear boots out of the box to start. Needing a very low volume boot for most of your foot, when you also have a wide forefoot makes things tough. In a sized down boot I am doubtful I could ski most of them without having that part of the boot modified first. A 96 or 98 last will not fully allow my foot to sit flat in the front of the boot and will either cut off my circulation or cause excruciating pain with skiing from the squeezing.. depending on the boot and exact fit. This is the only real modification I have to start, my fitter stretches that area to shape it to my foot, then I ski for 8-10 days, and go back for anything that pops up and needs tweaking.
Agreed - being able to select boots based on, well, anything other than a bootfitter telling me "there are 2 models in existence that are even vaguely suited for you and that we will be able to modify enough to make them work for your triangle shaped feet" sounds like some fantasy version of boot shopping to me.

But, they do model ski boots off of someone's feet. Just not mine, LOL. So I suppose if you have that standard shaped foot, perhaps you can shop based off of reviews, or what the boot was supposedly designed for. And then you could demo boots and experiment to see what you like better. I'm also in the "needs irreversible modifications" just to tolerate my foot being in there for a few seconds. And obviously, if you're buying something that feels terrible when you try it on, you had better have an expert that you REALLY trust when they say "don't worry, I can make it fit!"

MissySki

Angel Diva
Agreed - being able to select boots based on, well, anything other than a bootfitter telling me "there are 2 models in existence that are even vaguely suited for you and that we will be able to modify enough to make them work for your triangle shaped feet" sounds like some fantasy version of boot shopping to me.

But, they do model ski boots off of someone's feet. Just not mine, LOL. So I suppose if you have that standard shaped foot, perhaps you can shop based off of reviews, or what the boot was supposedly designed for. And then you could demo boots and experiment to see what you like better. I'm also in the "needs irreversible modifications" just to tolerate my foot being in there for a few seconds. And obviously, if you're buying something that feels terrible when you try it on, you had better have an expert that you REALLY trust when they say "don't worry, I can make it fit!"
Exactly! Ugh, sorry you are in the same club.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I trust my bootfitter explicitly so go for what she suggests. Im not a super aggressive skier at all and she's got me in a race boot because that is what fits my foot , narrow, low volume with a super narrow heel. Best fitting and performing boots I've ever had :thumbsup:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a big club - also in my boots because my bootfitter recommended a boot that fit the anatomy of my feet, not because they are geared to certain type of skiing. I do understand for something like racing, where you are trying to shave seconds off, extra considerations like how aerodynamic and stiff the boot is might be paramount, but for recreational skiing, I'd imagine being able to control the ski well to make a variety of movements is the goal.

All this said, I'm actually in a crossover boot!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm one of the lucky people that seemingly can ski a boot with a tighter performance fit out of the box. I'm sure there are some boots that would need some mods for me, but my last 2 pairs required nothing even though I sized down from my measured length. My most recent pair was uncomfortably tight at first--but the liner has relaxed just enough now so that they are now fine and still don't need to buckle them any tighter. I sometimes wonder if I'm not being picky enough or maybe I should be trying to go even smaller. My feet have a narrow heel, narrow forefoot and I think an average instep but my ankle diameter is skinny. I don't have any bumps on my feet that need to be accommodated for so I think that is key to why I can ski them out of the box.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm one of the lucky people that seemingly can ski a boot with a tighter performance fit out of the box. I'm sure there are some boots that would need some mods for me, but my last 2 pairs required nothing even though I sized down from my measured length. My most recent pair was uncomfortably tight at first--but the liner has relaxed just enough now so that they are now fine and still don't need to buckle them any tighter. I sometimes wonder if I'm not being picky enough or maybe I should be trying to go even smaller. My feet have a narrow heel, narrow forefoot and I think an average instep but my ankle diameter is skinny. I don't have any bumps on my feet that need to be accommodated for so I think that is key to why I can ski them out of the box.
I envy you! What boot are you in?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

While its possible you're able to do the research on your own and come to a decent selection for your foot, there is so much more to ski boot fit than the literature you can find out there in the ether.
You mention last width and the Mach 1's....
Last width is only one aspect of the volume of a boot. Vamp, cuff, and heel pocket are other aspects that are not usually addressed in literature.
As a fitter, we take measurements that most skiers don't think about.

Mach 1s...which one? There are several flexes and several volumes available. Some are good for aggressive skiing and others are no where close to being okay for an aggressive skier.

Also, how stiff of a boot a fitter will put you in may have more to do with your physiology such as foot mobility and ankle ROM than how aggressive you are.

I think I shocked @mustski when I stuck her in a boot that is a stiff 110+ (has the abilty to have a plate installed to make it 120 flex.
She is a small woman who is not a super aggressive skier. With her limited ROM this boot is perfect for her.

So, you see, you can do a ton of research and read reviews but there is more to it than what you read out there.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
While its possible you're able to do the research on your own and come to a decent selection for your foot, there is so much more to ski boot fit than the literature you can find out there in the ether.
You mention last width and the Mach 1's....
Last width is only one aspect of the volume of a boot. Vamp, cuff, and heel pocket are other aspects that are not usually addressed in literature.
As a fitter, we take measurements that most skiers don't think about.

Mach 1s...which one? There are several flexes and several volumes available. Some are good for aggressive skiing and others are no where close to being okay for an aggressive skier.

Also, how stiff of a boot a fitter will put you in may have more to do with your physiology such as foot mobility and ankle ROM than how aggressive you are.

I think I shocked @mustski when I stuck her in a boot that is a stiff 110+ (has the abilty to have a plate installed to make it 120 flex.
She is a small woman who is not a super aggressive skier. With her limited ROM this boot is perfect for her.

So, you see, you can do a ton of research and read reviews but there is more to it than what you read out there.
Wonder what you would put me in???

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, this echoes my experience. I am a pretty conservative skier, I do not necessarily like to go "fast", but rather it depends on the outlay of the slope and the turn I am trying to make. I am definitely more of a finesse skier. However, I am hyperflexible (double jointed) and my bootfitter told me for my ROM, a higher flex was the way to go. I'm in a 115, though he did warn me that flex was not the same across manufacturers, even boots styles from the same manufacturer. I was in a very low flex 80 boot before and it was definitely too soft.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga