• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sizing down extra in boots

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Earlier this year I bought new boots (Salomon S/Pro Max 90) to replace my old, too-soft Salomons. I have narrow heels, and heel lift is an ongoing battle in ski boots, snowboard boots, figure skates, etc. My current S/Pros require thicker socks to hold my heels down. Out of curiosity, I tried on some used S/Pros as well as the Tecnica Mach 1 95 a size down (23.5 vs 24.5). While I can feel the boot end with my big toes when leaning forward, they didn't seem uncomfortable.

My feet actually measure about 244mm. They probably get a tad shorter with insoles, as the arch collapses a bit without one, but it wouldn't go down to 235mm. The boot fitter at my local store thinks I'd probably do best in the Tecnica Mach 1 95 low volume 23.5 (they only had medium volume, which felt okay but the fitter thought they'd be too wide once they break in). I was able to try on a new pair of Tecnica Mach Sport 85 low volume in 23.5. It seemed fine, but the fitter thought I'd be better off with 95. They don't normally carry the LV version of the 95, so it would need to be special ordered (I would stick with this store though because they'll let me return the Salomon boots).

Does it seem crazy to go a size shorter than what my feet measure? I've had ice skates become too big once they broke in despite being professionally fitted, too, so that makes me think maybe it's not crazy and my feet are just weird.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A good fitter can do lots of things to make a small boot bigger (esp in places for a toe or bunion etc) but not many remedies to make a too big boot smaller. I’d say trust the fitter and size down.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not crazy at all. You need better heel hold, your foot fits in a 23.5 and it sounds like that size fits you better.

Christy

Angel Diva
I agree with the above. What's your shoe size? Sorry, I don't know what 244 mm translates to. I'm in a 23.5 and my fitter debated getting me into a 22.5 though ultimately decided that wasn't right for me. I'm a 7.5 shoe size.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I'll add my vote on the "not crazy" side. Everything you reported about the fit says the smaller size is good for you, at least in the boots you tried on. The ones you order may fit differently.
While I can feel the boot end with my big toes when leaning forward, they didn't seem uncomfortable.
Perfect! It's an easy fix if you find after wearing the boots for a few days that your toes would like a smidge more room.

Pro tip: trim your toenails before trying on boots. Millimeters make a difference.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the above. What's your shoe size? Sorry, I don't know what 244 mm translates to. I'm in a 23.5 and my fitter debated getting me into a 22.5 though ultimately decided that wasn't right for me. I'm a 7.5 shoe size.
I wear a US womens 7.5 most often...sometimes 7 and sometimes 8. That makes me feel better about 23.5. Thanks!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a us womens 9 usually, sometimes an 8.5 or 9.5 and am in 24.5. My bootfitter thinks my next pair could even go down to 23.5. I’m a little anxious about going that small but I would vote at 7.5 you will likely be in good shape to!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does it seem crazy to go a size shorter than what my feet measure? I've had ice skates become too big once they broke in despite being professionally fitted, too, so that makes me think maybe it's not crazy and my feet are just weird.

Before I get into this, let me say, I am a masterfit bootfitter, and I currently own 5 pair of ski boots, 4 of which are 2023-24 boots.

What you're talking about is a performance fit instead of a recreational fit.
Going into a boot that is your measured size is a recreational fit. If you ski more than 15-20 days a year a recreational fit will pack out too quickly and you'll be left with slippage.

Example: I ski close to 100 days/year and I always go into a 23.5 and I measure a titch over 24.5.
I do have two pair of 24.5 boots here at my house but I only got 10 -ish days in them before I felt like my foot was moving around.

Also, if they're recommending the LV boot now, then why did they put you in a medium volume boot in the Salomon?
This is likely why they're willing to take the Salomon boot back.

Also, what store is this? I find it hard to believe they don't carry the LV version of that Technica Mach1 boot. Odd.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I wear a US womens 7.5 most often...sometimes 7 and sometimes 8. That makes me feel better about 23.5. Thanks!

I wear a us womens 9 usually, sometimes an 8.5 or 9.5 and am in 24.5. My bootfitter thinks my next pair could even go down to 23.5. I’m a little anxious about going that small but I would vote at 7.5 you will likely be in good shape to!
I understand why this conversation went to shoe size, as a reference to the OP, but as a bootfitter let me explain that any good bootfitter won't care what your shoe size is. He/she will measure you thoroughly on the branock device, along with the width, and vamp/instep measurement.

IF you walk into a shop and the fitter asks you what your shoe size is.....walk out!
This means the person is a boots sales person not a fitter.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What you're talking about is a performance fit instead of a recreational fit.
Going into a boot that is your measured size is a recreational fit. If you ski more than 15-20 days a year a recreational fit will pack out too quickly and you'll be left with slippage.
Not sure I'll ski that many days, but with 30 years of figure skating, I'm used to (and prefer) a snug-fitting boot!

Also, if they're recommending the LV boot now, then why did they put you in a medium volume boot in the Salomon?
This is likely why they're willing to take the Salomon boot back.

Also, what store is this? I find it hard to believe they don't carry the LV version of that Technica Mach1 boot. Odd.
Sports Basement, which is a California chain that competes with REI but carries more ski and snowboard gear (at least compared to the REIs around here). They have a really generous return policy. I did try the S/Pro Alpha last year in 24.5, but I was worried it was too tight in the forefoot and was going to make my foot cramp, and my left (smaller) heel still slipped. The guy who does fitting most often at my local store knows his stuff, but I don't know if he's a trained fitter. Sometimes you get regular employees who are far less knowledgeable.

I'm not actually sure if they don't plan to carry the LV version or just don't have it in stock yet. It's not on their site for the 95.

I understand why this conversation went to shoe size, as a reference to the OP, but as a bootfitter let me explain that any good bootfitter won't care what your shoe size is. He/she will measure you thoroughly on the branock device, along with the width, and vamp/instep measurement.
We say the same thing in the skating world! Thank you @SnowHot for your insights!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure I'll ski that many days, but with 30 years of figure skating, I'm used to (and prefer) a snug-fitting boot!

Sports Basement, which is a California chain that competes with REI but carries more ski and snowboard gear (at least compared to the REIs around here). They have a really generous return policy. I did try the S/Pro Alpha last year in 24.5, but I was worried it was too tight in the forefoot and was going to make my foot cramp, and my left (smaller) heel still slipped. The guy who does fitting most often at my local store knows his stuff, but I don't know if he's a trained fitter. Sometimes you get regular employees who are far less knowledgeable.

I'm not actually sure if they don't plan to carry the LV version or just don't have it in stock yet. It's not on their site for the 95.

We say the same thing in the skating world! Thank you @SnowHot for your insights!
I have worked at 3 different shops in the Truckee area and am really familar with Sports Basement.
They tend to fit people in a recreational fit at that location, some of whom I've tried to "refit" when they're up in this area to ski.
I am also familiar with the inventory they tend to stock, which can be more in the medium volume for their customer.

I have done some contract work at California Ski Company in Berkley and its the place I tend to recommend in the bay area for bootfitting.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
California Ski Company is the finest in the Bay Area. I am not sure where OP lives, and Sports Basement has an online store. I live in Az and flew to Sacramento to visit mom at 80 years old, and we boarded the train from Davis just to go to my boot-fitting in Berkeley. Best service ever.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
California Ski Company is the finest in the Bay Area. I am not sure where OP lives, and Sports Basement has an online store. I live in Az and flew to Sacramento to visit mom at 80 years old, and we boarded the train from Davis just to go to my boot-fitting in Berkeley. Best service ever.
X2!
Winks is the manager there, and Greg Whitehouse is the owner. Both of whom participate on SkiTalk regularly.
Winks also works on some of our social media stuff.
Really good people and a serious specialty boot fitting shop.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My feet measure 25mm and I ski in a 23.5 boot, I also have super low volume and struggle with heel hold.
I've previously had the Technica Mach 1 LV in both the 95 and 105 but have since moved to the Atomic Redster 110's and the heel hold is sensational.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That Rester line up is serious business.
Which Redster do you have?
There are a few versions.
CS
STi
TI

We have a close personal friend who has a super skinny foot. We put her in the CS and it is working great for her.

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CS
STi
TI

We have a close personal friend who has a super skinny foot. We put her in the CS and it is working great for her.
The Sti ..... such an incredible boot, I love them !
It took a long time sloshing around in other boots incl the Mach 1s before my bootfitter said enough is enough, we're putting you in the Redster STi's and I havent looked back.
I'm the weird one in a serious boot but an entry level ski :laughter:K2 Mindbender 85s due to injury but hey the combo worked for me this last NZ season and enabled me to ski.

MissySki

Angel Diva
CS
STi
TI

Can you explain the difference between these versions? And are any suitably for someone who is much more off piste than on?

I find it frustrating that to get an uber low volume good heel hold fit one needs to get in a race type boot. I want amazing fit and have low volume feet, outside of a wide forefoot, but I want a little more forgiveness in rough bumps and chop. I mean in reality I’m not that picky.. I’d be happy with my Technica Mach 1 LV Pro, though they are a little stiff, if the instep were a bit lower still (currently padded) and my heel didn’t rub the tiniest bit in back giving me bone growths on my heels. :/ They ARE the best fit I’ve had all around.

Planning to finally get back to my bootfitter in the next couple of weeks to discuss my heel bump issue. I’m not sure if it’s punching out where the heel bumps are, a new liner, aftermarket liner, pad heel of current liner (which I’ve never liked around my ankles because I’m like the princess and the pea and always feel like the padding is poking me because my ankle bones are so boney), talk about new options altogether.. I don’t know. But I cannot keep destroying my heels as it started affecting my enjoyment at the end of last season because the lumps were so inflamed. I’d go over bumps and would be wincing constantly because any harder than expected bump to especially one of my heels and I had zinging pain through the whole heel. Not ideal.

Reactions: AJM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga