• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Riding divas

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
I was just wondering a friend of mine has a poblem mare. I was telling her about Trixies problems and she was very curious a to how this was going for you. Keep me posted okay?

Will do! I'm not sure when I'll get it done... Trixie needs her teeth done soon though, so I might talk to the vet about it then.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a 9 yo Icelandic mare Fjóla. I mostly ride on trail but if I'm riding "seriously" then it's "Icelandic gaited riding". The Icelandics are the only gaited breed in Finland so their signature gait tölt is the only smooth gait anyone knows. And also the only accepted smooth gait. So an Icelandic tölts and if he doesn't you need to do something about it. I'm a bad person because I let Fjóla move in a faulty gait (lazy trotty tölt, bad people also call it foxtrot) instead of making her move correctly (she can do that too if asked to).

Attachments

• Fjola tölttää.JPG
    Fjola tölttää.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 10

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Is it like a Paso fino's gaits, (the Tolt) they are both smaller horses. I thought that the Icelandics where used in dressage aslo. Aren't they know as a sturdier more hardy breed? I guess I'll have to youtube them. I can't say that I've actually ever watched one move. Are you an indulgent mommy too! LOL!

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
Skise -- I've always thought it would be so fun to get on an Icelandic and have a ride! They are very cute, and I've always wondered how smooth the tolt actually is.

As for a Trixie update, she's still been having her "monthly" ovary episodes, talked to the vet a few weeks back and they still seemed unconcerned. I was hoping they'd be a little more insightful about this issue. A couple weeks ago Trixie began "mouthing" in an unusual way, with her head down and opening her mouth and curling her tongue around. I thought maybe she had something stuck in her mouth, but decided after a while it was best just to get the vet and check it. Turns out there is nothing in her mouth, but she has some small blisters. :noidea: The vet thought the mouthing was a possible sign of abdominal pain, and maybe that her colicy episodes were actually pain from ulcers! So she's been on about 2 weeks of Omeprazole, with one week to go. The mouthing has stopped and she's looking really well. The blisters are still there, so I'm not sure about that? Only time will tell if these meds stop the monthly banamine doses and stressful times. Poor Trixie. Fingers crossed this does the trick!

In other news, I've been accepted on a year uni exchange to Australia! The bad news is that I need something to do with Trixie. I've been hoping for a lease situation. But it has to be the right home. She's too special to me to let go to anywhere. I feel like I'm abandoning my best friend... again, fingers crossed this situation works out for the best.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if you've tried it yet, but many hormonal mares seem to do better on a soy free diet. Soy enhances estrogen levels, which is why many menapausal women take it, but mares don't need it. I thought it sounded weird when I first heard about it, but I pulled my Connemara/TB mare Ella off feeds with soy in them, and it's worked better than either the Regumate or the Mare magic. She's not getting insane this spring, for the first time in three years I've owned her. I now feed her hay, alfalfa pellets, Linpro (amino acid/mineral/vitamins with no soy), and Quiessence.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh to have a horse again. :( I sold both of my horses when I moved away from home and was in college. :( I had a bay pony and a chestnut Saddlebred (gosh she was gorgeous). She was 17 hands and just amazing. I got her when she was 3 and not broken. She was just a joy the entire time I had her. :D

The pictures you girls have posted are making me drool. Gorgeous animals and I love the site of a jumper. :D

perma-grin

Oh Trixie that's a tough one! I gave up Miss Bunny in November after a 3 year relationship, it was really ,really difficult to do. The young girl where I boarded her had been asking about maybe showing her a little in WP, and they really seem to click in the show ring. I have never been a big fan of western pleasure ( I just schooled at training level w/ her )but Bunny placed at Nationals in 2003, so it seemed unfair of me to keep riding her if Kelsey would be showing her. Kind of selfish of me just to use her for schooling and trail. I still see her and take her treats but now I am totally dedicated to schooling Chrome and making him a polite equine citizen! LOL! Gosh I hope you can find someone who is right for Trixie it is so hard to trust someone else to treat them the way we would treat them ourselves. Do you have someone who will be able to keep an eye on her while you are away?? The blisters are kind of bizarre! I've never heard of that before. I hope she doesn't have stress ulcers!

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it like a Paso fino's gaits, (the Tolt) they are both smaller horses. I thought that the Icelandics where used in dressage aslo. Aren't they know as a sturdier more hardy breed?

I can't say how close tölt is to paso fino's gaits because my internet connection is too slow for videos at the moment. Tölt is a slightly lateral gait, the set down is even but the pick up is lateral. Slow tölt is usually saddle rack, fast tölt is rack.

Icelandics are not very suitable for dressage, their comformation makes it difficult for them. I know some people practice classical dressage with their horses and I think they could choose a better breed for that. Also their "gaitedness" makes dressage more difficult because it often compromises the quality of trot and canter.

Icelandics do well in cold, don't need much food (=most of them are way too fat, mine included) and carry quite large riders compared to their size.

perma-grin

I can't say how close tölt is to paso fino's gaits because my internet connection is too slow for videos at the moment. Tölt is a slightly lateral gait, the set down is even but the pick up is lateral. Slow tölt is usually saddle rack, fast tölt is rack.

Is that anything like the Racking that a 5 gaited Saddlebred does?

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Is that anything like the Racking that a 5 gaited Saddlebred does?

It's the same gait. The frame of the horse is often a bit different tho (also migth be because of difference in size and comformation).

Jeepmum

Certified Ski Diva<br>CSIA Level 1<br>
Hi! Definitely a horsey diva here! We have 4 horses at home, well one horse (my hunter) and my daughters 3 welsh hunter ponies. My hubby shows in the jumpers but sold his horse a couple of yrs ago. DH is VP of a large canadian chain of tack shops with stores all over canada (Trixie you will know which one I mean!) He gets to go out to Spruce Meadows every year. I also work for this company as a copy editor, writing marketing descriptions, press releases etc. Wonderful work as I can do it from home! Anyway as I said my horse is a hunter who I haven't shown in years, but do still ride. I am also riding my daughters ponies, getting them ready to be adorable hunter ponies. Very intersting for me at 5'4 to be jumping small ponies! I'm very light though so its ok. DD is only 6 and not quite ready to show over fences, just shows on the flat. She looks so cute. What are you showing your horse in this season Trixie?

perma-grin

fantastic Easter ride today!

We had a great day for an Easter trail ride today! The weather was perfect here!! I even taked Mr. perma-grin into coming! He is not fond of riding but he likes Winsor peach so he decided to join my riding buddy and I for a quick mornig ride! I still haven't adjusted to riding such a green youngster as Chrome is, but "that which does not kill us makes us stronger"! Or at least that is the theory! And yes I know I wasn't wearing my helmet but I felt it was a safer bet that Mr. Perma-grin would need it more than I would. (Since the last time he rode he fell off in the driveway! LOL!:ROTF:

Attachments

• CIMG0244.jpg
    CIMG0244.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 13
  • CIMG0248.jpg
    CIMG0248.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CIMG0243.jpg
    CIMG0243.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG0250.jpg
    CIMG0250.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 11

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Trixie,

Just wondering where you are going to be located when you come to Australia? What are you studying?

I know how hard it is to give up that special horse you have such a personal relationship with. I had a beautiful black arabian mare that was more a part of the family than the herd. If we were standing in the paddock and all the horses would go for a gallop she would put herself between us and just look at the other horses as if to say "what are those silly horses doing". She has saved me from attacking birds while in the paddock, running up to me and chasing the birds away from me. And then I had to sell her, almost broke my heart but I chose a very special home for her and her new owner adores her and spoils her rotten.

I've now got an orphan foal and her father (now gelded) and her Auntie that I just can't give up. The orphan foal is so expressive and animated. I know her exact mood and what she's trying to tell me. She's such a character.

If you are over in Australia and need a horsey fix you are always welcome here.

:smile:

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
Perma-grin -- Love your pics! So cute! And a good motto for riding greenies!
Yeah, Trixie's blisters are very strange, but they don't seem to bug her at all. The Omeprazole seemed to stop the need for banamine each month. She came into heat very strongly last month, but no issues. I hopefully it was only ulcers. I can handle that! I am moving her to another barn with a trainer I know, and she will try to sell her for me. I will put her on the Omeprazole for a couple weeks during this change, just in case. It is so sad to see her go. I've already cried a lot over it, and I know the tears will be there when I drop her off :( .

Jeepmum -- That is awesome about your (and DH) job! It is a little crazy I can spend a few hundred dollars at a tack shop in 5 minutes and not feel too bad because "my horse really needs it..."! I'm sure I must have seen your DH at Spruce before. Unfortunately I'm not showing Trixie this season since I'm going to Aus, but I have a guy who will show her (maybe at Thunderbird and/or Spruce), likely in the 1.30m jr/am divisions.

Witchery -- Thanks for the offer of getting some horsieness in while in Aus! I might just come knocking at your door. I'm going to be at ANU in Canberra, studying Anthropology. My boyfriend is at the Royal Military College in Canberra as well, so I am very excited to be there. I know the city seems to be.... disliked.... in Aus, but I've been there a few times and I like it! So we will see! I know Trixie will be well loved here. As long as she's got someone giving her treats and jumping her she's as happy as anything.

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Trixie,

I actually really like Canberra, it's just too far away from the things I love to do but it's nice to visit. We drive through there on the way to Thredbo to go skiing. There's actually a big Equestrian facility on the road betwen Canberra and Thredbo, not sure what they do but it's quite large for where it is, a big indoor arena?? Maybe you should check it out one weekend.

I'm sure Trixie will find herself a good home. I think the good one's often do!! We've sold a few horses and all of them have found amazing homes, so happy with all of them.

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Witchery, I'm sure I will check out every barn in the area!! It's only been a couple weeks since I've last been on a horse and I'm already going crazy.

Here's a video of me and Trixie jumping a few weeks ago. I know everyone's seen pictures, but this is my first video I've been able to get on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgsSXJl9czw

Here's a video of me and Trixie jumping a few weeks ago. I know everyone's seen pictures, but this is my first video I've been able to get on YouTube!

Wow, really fantastic, I love how she gets excited before that last double fence and charges a bit, but you keep her very even and collected. You are a great rider and she's quite a mare!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm somewhat new to the forum as I've taken a hiatus from skiing thanks to the Air Force, but never took a break from riding and showing my horses! My mom stumbled upon a 1/2 arab 1/2 appy rescue mare when I was 7, and my love of Arabians began then and has never gone :D I've shown my entire life, ridden like a maniac, in many disciplines, taken a gazillion lessons, done my own training, and am now taking a break from the show world to give my gelding some time off and my bank account a break, too! (Besides, I want to go skiing this year! Tahoe, here I come!)

This is my current gelding, Carangi (we call him Chachee.) He finished in the top 16 in the country this fall in Purebred Arabian Hunter Pleasure Open division at the Arabian U.S. Nationals: (OK, don't know how to get the image to show up in the body of my post.)

Attachments

• Region 1 2010 small.jpg
    Region 1 2010 small.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a horse my mom bred, who was my dream horse. Another purebred Arabian. He showed one season in hunter pleasure, then died at age 5 during a myelogram to determine why he was showing signs of being neurologic. I got to show him myself one time, and won our first class out. He has been gone almost two years now, and my heart still aches for him. He was talented beyond belief, with the mind and heart to go with it to make him a champion at whatever he did. This picture is of him with my trainer in Virginia, plus one of him wearing his winnings from that one show.

Attachments

• SVC Purchased.jpg
    SVC Purchased.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 7
  • n1423189747_30031010_9505v2.jpg
    n1423189747_30031010_9505v2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 6

perma-grin

Wow was he flashy! Did you register him as as Pinto also? That is so sad! He looked like a pretty mover, my vet and his brother breed and train arab's, Dr. Rooker. Your little bay is very cute! sweet eyes! My boy Chrome's pature mate is a 24 year old bay arab mare, she is a tiny little girl,(15 hands, with her shoes on lol!) but VERY much in charge of the barn and all who dwell there!!! LOL! My boy has 3 inches and a couple of hundred pounds on her but he lives in fear of ticking her off! LOL! She is being ridden by a green 9 year old girl but Star is such a good care taker for this child! She really is an awesome mare!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna