• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Riding divas

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I try to wear my helmet when I ride inside or out. For some reason I find this to be something that I have to make myself do. I know that I should wear it everytime I ride, but I tend to forget it if I'm riding inside. :redface: I'm pretty good about remembering it for trail or working a green horse, but I guess the walls of the arena and the mount block are just as dangerous. And Bunny is just a likely to blows up inside or out, as any other horse is. For some reason I have a harder time making myself wear a helmet to ride than I do for skiing or cycling. Which is weird I've been riding since childhood but I'm still just your basic hack nothing to make Debbie McDonald or Anky loose any sleep over. However I am a very strong acomplished skier (not intending to sound arrogant here), and I would never be caught skiing without my helmet on! I have been wearing one to ski for almost 14 yrs now. I'm not sure what my hang up is with wearing it? I think I tend to just associate a helmet with showing, go figure.:noidea: I also think that maybe it say's to Bunny that I don't trust you, or my ability to communicate with you. Which I know is stupid:redface: but sometimes thats the way I feel about it. I did get a recreational helmet last summer that is more comfortable and relaxed looking. I need to make myself wear it all the time I can't keep her safe if I'm not being safe while I'm riding her.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How is everyone getting on? My girl is going great right now, all unexplained lamness from earlier in the year is gone and so we're re-building muscle. I'm too tired to ride this evening so instead will sit in the garden by the river and clean tack instead - it's been long overdue. :redface:

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
That's awesome that your horse is sound again Bumblebee! Lameness (especially unexplained lameness!) can be so frustrating.

Trixie is doing well really, she was a superstar down in California this year! She's back with me now and I took her to a little show on saturday. She was great! I was the only 4'0'' entry, so it was nice to go and jump around a course with no pressure! Here are some pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=238395&id=889365593&l=2ce2cc406f

The other horse I am riding, Luke (QH western pleasure turned hunter) also went to the show, and was 2'3'' hunter champion! He was a saint for his first show!

perma-grin

We got snowed on Monday! Bunny was perfectly happy pre-gaming for her favorite holiday Easter, what's not to love? Carrots for her chocolate for me! :wink: She isn't loving being back in a winter blankett or the white stuff!!! Lol! Riding out was fun while it lasted now we are back inside! Trixie looks up and at em' again!

Attachments

• april snowfall 09 019.jpg
    april snowfall 09 019.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 13
  • april snowfall 09 002.jpg
    april snowfall 09 002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 9
  • april snowfall 09 016.jpg
    april snowfall 09 016.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 9

mollmeister

Angel Diva

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
I thought I'd give everyone an update on Trixie the mare! She's been wonderful this summer, we even jumped our first Modified Grand Prix! Here are some pics:

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=272120&id=889365593&l=910b0f4199

We also had a bit of a colic scare at that show, but the vet came out and did a rectal exam and found her right ovary was very enlarged. He said it was probably nothing, and I talked to my vet about and said there is only a 10% chance she would need surgery. But I might have her ultrasounded just to be safe. It isn't a tumour or a cyst, just an enlargement. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I know my description is vague, but hopefully it is nothing at all!

perma-grin

COLIC!:eek: I hate that! So scary and at a show with a strange vet! Are you going to have an ultra sound? Ovaries are up to high to be effected by a bad rub on a rail aren't they? Did the vet have any ideas? We had a mare at the old barn that had a cyst on her ovary and what a witch! The vet gave her a shot(prostaglandin, I think) what an amazing personality change she was a new mare! Funny how much control ovaries have over Mares and women! LOL! I hope this is nothing serious, we'll be praying to St. Francis for her!:thumbsup:

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
I had Trixie ultrasounded yesterday and both ovaries were totally normal! My vet thinks that the colicy symptoms where due to ovualtion with a hematoma of the ovary, so the pressure from blood build up was causing pain, but it has resolved itself. So it's okay! I guess that sometimes things like that just happen.

How's Bunny doing, perma-grin?

perma-grin

oh so glad to here everything is good with Trixie! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Bunny is well Bunny! Lol! I hadn't been riding her much because I was working at a Girl Scout Camp this summer(everyone should have that experience at least once in their life!) So my girl got a little uhmm what's the word I'm looking for? Pudgy that pretty much describes my little miss Bunny butterball! This week I have started my friends paint "Chrome" out on a quest to no longer be green! I promised her 6 monthes ago to help her she doesn't do the bucking thing! LOL (and neither should I!) He had about 30 day's training 15 ground/15 undersaddle, with his old owner close to three years ago( he's going to be 6) but then was turned out as a pasture ornament. So I have been nominated to change his color. My other girlfriend has ranted non stop at me for riding such a green horse, she tends to be a dressage wanna be and thinks I'm insane, but he is really fairly docile. I'm not terribly picky if it has sound feet, a mane and a tail I tend to ride it! LOL! But as I age I find landing on my back to be slightly more painful, and a little more time is needed to recover from a stupid movement on my part. It's the same with skiing! LOL!

perma-grin

So back to that wearing a helmet when you ride thing. Today I discovered what it feels like to be an space ship, because I got LAUNCHED!!!!! Chrome is a green broke just turned 5 year old paint that I have been working. He had 30 days awith the trainer 3yrs ago then was left out as a pasture ornament because his owner was afraid of him. now he is my problem child till he has a 1000 hrs on him. Today was ride 8. Out of nowhere he blew up! Full on rodeo bronc spin,wheelin' and drop buck! Toughed out the first 3 explosions then got dumped! Thank God for HELMETS!!! Rang my bell but got off with sore muscles and severly bruised ego! Glad I took the time to put my hardware on! Lesson learned!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ack, permagrin! Glad you're okay, though.

My schooling stable had a helmet requirement, and I'm glad they did, cuz I likely wouldn't've gotten into the habit of always riding with a helmet otherwise.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you had some fun there cowgirl! :laugh: Good job though - for me it's usually the third that I part company... the first one is fine, the second one tends to unseat and the third just tips me off.

I too always wear my helmet, I'm one of the few adults around here who does - maybe it's because I have a history of landing on my head!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I moved my horse on sunday evening to a new stables and went up last night to introduce myself to everyone & check up on her.

They're the friendliest bunch I've ever come across and within an hour we were off on a trail ride and these girls are speed-demons! :thumbsup: I haven't ridden that hard or fast in 18 months or more. I got another invite to ride out weds evening and also a 4/5 hour ride on Sunday - I like!

The owner is off to the beach in a couple of weeks to scope out a suitable spot for a weekend visit with the horse - which would be a dream come true for me.

They also gave me loads of compliments about my horse - talk about winning me over!

It's also $300 a month cheaper than my old place!

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
Another ovary scare from Trixie tonight. I took her on a trail ride and she was great, brought her back, let her eat her dinnertime grain, and I went to feed the other horses. I came back and she was laying down, but got up when she saw me :fear: Not colic! She got up and pressed her bum right into the stall wall, so I thought "ovary". And she's been in BAD heat the last couple days. I think when she ovulates it's when she gets the pain.

I put her halter on and walked her around, and she tried to go down a couple times, and was standing with her back end very parked out. She was a bit stweaty and overall very uncomfortable. Called two vets and both thought it was probably the ovary issue. I gave her 20cc of a mild pain killer and walked her around for 40 mintues. She seemed normal. One vet also reccomended a stainless steel marble placed in her uterus which will make her think she's pregnant and hopefully stop these issues. Cheaper than hormones at $900 a bottle. Yikes! I'll try to figure something out soon! Talk about STRESSFUL! :Hole:

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
So I'm curious how is the marble thing working out with Trixie?

Apparently you have to have it done when they are in heat, so I was going to wait until it happens. Trixie should be in heat this week (if not already), but she's showing no signs :noidea: . I guess I'll keep waiting. I've stocked up on banamine, so if she ends up in pain again I'll be ready. Just keeping an extra close eye on her.

perma-grin

I was just wondering a friend of mine has a poblem mare. I was telling her about Trixies problems and she was very curious a to how this was going for you. Keep me posted okay?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna