• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Riding divas

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow was he flashy! Did you register him as as Pinto also? That is so sad! He looked like a pretty mover, my vet and his brother breed and train arab's, Dr. Rooker. Your little bay is very cute! sweet eyes! My boy Chrome's pature mate is a 24 year old bay arab mare, she is a tiny little girl,(15 hands, with her shoes on lol!) but VERY much in charge of the barn and all who dwell there!!! LOL! My boy has 3 inches and a couple of hundred pounds on her but he lives in fear of ticking her off! LOL! She is being ridden by a green 9 year old girl but Star is such a good care taker for this child! She really is an awesome mare!

The Rooker's, get out! Yeah, they are one of the breeders left who seem to have a clue how to breed a good english horse. If I win the lottery, I'll go shopping at their barn :D Apollopalooza remains my favorite park horse of all time, and I've been around this breed since the 70's so have seen a few! He was exceptional and what a shame he died so young.

No, we never got around to registering "Socks" pinto, but I definitely considered it. My current gelding is a dream to train. He's by Versace so sweet as can be and very willing, but also a bit of a chicken @hit. Never lays an ear back, though, and remembers everything he's taught and tries so hard to do things right. He gets very upset if he blows a lead!

Not surprised your boy is afraid of a mare--we all know they rule the roost! ;)

I'm still in a bit of "small world" shock finding someone on a SKI board who know the Rookers. They are very good at their game for sure!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though my mom rode regularly, it took me until I was 9 years old to convince my parents (*my dad specifically*) that I really wanted to ride and that I would be careful. I took my weekly lessons and rode in local hunter/jumper/eq shows through middle and high school. My mom and I would lease one of the school horses in the summer so we could do some free riding too. In high school I started working at the barn on the weekends and during school breaks. I did everything from cleaning stalls and sweeping aisles, to helping to teach the barn management parts of the summer camps and grooming at horse shows. I also leased a few different horses over the years and began showing in interscholastic horse shows (similar to collegiate showing where you ride unfamiliar horses and earn points for your team). My senior year I leased an old show horse and overall had a bad experience (we just didn't get along and he knew exactly how to throw me up and over his shoulder and onto the ground). I managed to make it through the summer until literally the last lesson before college, until I fell off and broke my collarbone. I didn't ride for two years after that but started riding at a mostly therapudic barn near my college after spending a semester volunteering there. I love it, it's soooo much more laid back compared to my old barn and it's all about the fun. Everyone is so supportive and nothing is ever competitive. When I graduate from college this spring it will be interesting to see what happens.. It's likely I may need to take another riding hiatus but I'm sure I will return at some point!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though my mom rode regularly, it took me until I was 9 years old to convince my parents (*my dad specifically*) that I really wanted to ride and that I would be careful. I took my weekly lessons and rode in local hunter/jumper/eq shows through middle and high school. My mom and I would lease one of the school horses in the summer so we could do some free riding too. In high school I started working at the barn on the weekends and during school breaks. I did everything from cleaning stalls and sweeping aisles, to helping to teach the barn management parts of the summer camps and grooming at horse shows. I also leased a few different horses over the years and began showing in interscholastic horse shows (similar to collegiate showing where you ride unfamiliar horses and earn points for your team). My senior year I leased an old show horse and overall had a bad experience (we just didn't get along and he knew exactly how to throw me up and over his shoulder and onto the ground). I managed to make it through the summer until literally the last lesson before college, until I fell off and broke my collarbone. I didn't ride for two years after that but started riding at a mostly therapudic barn near my college after spending a semester volunteering there. I love it, it's soooo much more laid back compared to my old barn and it's all about the fun. Everyone is so supportive and nothing is ever competitive. When I graduate from college this spring it will be interesting to see what happens.. It's likely I may need to take another riding hiatus but I'm sure I will return at some point!

Riding NEVER leaves your blood, kinda like skiing! I took a long hiatus during college and after, also. And all that hard work you've done will really payoff when you DO have your own :thumbsup:

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Yep! Horses should be listed as an addictive substance! I get high just off of their smell!!! LOL! The Rookers property is on my riding route! Chrome flirts with the girls on Addis road (mares and foals) and snorts at all the young stud colts on Kurtz rd! They all run like idiots! LOL! The Rooker property is awesome! I'll get some "Mommy and me" pictures this spring and post them! Their babies are sooooooo cute and sassy!! The grass bank along there fence line is mowed and flat so I let Chrome have his head and run like his tails on fire for the whole mile! The wean-lings will flag up and chase after us and call the whole way! Doctor Rooker is getting up there in years, unfortunately there just aren't that many vet's that have his "touch" out there anymore.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep! Horses should be listed as an addictive substance! I get high just off of their smell!!! LOL! The Rookers property is on my riding route! Chrome flirts with the girls on Addis road (mares and foals) and snorts at all the young stud colts on Kurtz rd! They all run like idiots! LOL! The Rooker property is awesome! I'll get some "Mommy and me" pictures this spring and post them! Their babies are sooooooo cute and sassy!! The grass bank along there fence line is mowed and flat so I let Chrome have his head and run like his tails on fire for the whole mile! The wean-lings will flag up and chase after us and call the whole way! Doctor Rooker is getting up there in years, unfortunately there just aren't that many vet's that have his "touch" out there anymore.

I can only imagine how fired up they get seeing you run along their fence like a banshee. Boy do I miss doing that!

And yes, their smell is addictive. I love muzzle kisses for just that reason!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm a rider, too. I ride (western) at a local barn. I take lessons weekly in the off-season and I'd love to barrel race! It looks like so much fun! I don't own a horse, but ride the school horses at the barn.

perma-grin

Chrome and I took home a third place in barrels a fun show this past fall. Not bad considering I just went to school him in Hunt seat rail class so I rode barrels in my high boots, full seat breaches and Dressage saddle with a D-ring snaffle, that boy has way more go than whoa!!!!! Turnin' and burnin' My girlfriends who are true barrel racers were egging me on to stupidity!!! They were loving the idea of me riding barrels in that Dressage saddle(you have to clench your lower jaw and stick your nose up in the air when you pronouce Dressage)until I beat three of them!!!!!:wink:LOL! My boy understands how to set up for a turn!!!!:clap:

Christy

Angel Diva
So I took that Spanish riding vacation last October, and I'm planning a (regular) vacation to Slovenia and Croatia this September. I've found an inn in Triglav National Park in Slovenia where they have Lippizzaners that experienced riders can ride through the park. This picture on the website of someone riding through a meadow in the Alps and it KILLS me. And I love the picture of the Lippizzaner at the picnic table. I cannot wait--it'll be my horse fix for the year. They offer lessons to non-experienced riders so maybe my husband can plod around the ring.
https://www.pristava-lepena.com/en/konji_jahanje.php

konji4_m.jpg

piknik.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks AMAZING! And I love your destination of Solvenia and Croatia. That is on my bucket list of areas to visit! And I'd like to do it before it gets too touristy (if it's not too late already.) would LOVE to do a cruise there!

crittermonster

Certified Ski Diva
Wow! so cool to find the RIDING ski divas!!

This is my our 4-legged DIVA. (She wants you to know that she will wait precisely 30 seconds for you to get the snacks out. Clock starts...now)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

perma-grin

I can't open the picture!:( And Christy I would love the chance to ride in Slovenia! Of course i would also be perfectly happy to ride Dressage on a Lippazaner even if I never left the riding academy!:wink:

Christy

Angel Diva
[
And I'd like to do it before it gets too touristy (if it's not too late already.)

My understanding is that the only place that gets really overwhelmed with tourists is Dubrovnik, because of the cruise ships that dump thousands of people per day (up to 10,000 in summer) on that tiny town. Apparently they leave the boats at 8:30 and head back at 2:30, so the town is still really nice in early morning and evening when they're gone. And I think the Dalmation Coast in general is busy in summer with northern European tourists, but if you go outside July or August, it's fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly