• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Riding divas

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know there are some horsey folk on here, show yourselves! :p

So what styles do you ride?

Do you show?

What breeds?

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
horses

Num,

I have 3 horses; 1 quater horse mare, my horse; 1 quarter horse gelding, my husband's horse; and 1 paint gelding, my extra horse.

I run 2 Hunter Paces a year as a fund raiser for a community service organization. The Hunter Paces require me to maintain 15 miles of horse trails and over 80 jumps and we will build more this year. I also give a few private lessons and give private trail rides on the hunter pace courses. I train horses too. I don't show any more. I love to ride!!! I just hope that all this snow goes away soon so I can get back at this spring!! Skiing is over it is time to ride. My horses are very bored right now and sick of the weather!!! They don't want to go out right now because their pasture is so MUDDY and SLOPPY from this last snow storm! LOL! My mare just stands in her doorway and looks at the mud but won't go out in it. It is very funny to see the look on her face!!

skigirl

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sadly, as a city dweller, I don't own my own horse, even though I love riding and am thoroughly obsessed with riding (it complements my ski obsession nicely ;) ). I look forward to eventually having enough time and money take care for my own horse, but in the meantime, shareboarding works really well for me.

My old routine was to spend one day a week schooling (english flatwork and dressage) at a stable in a suburb nearby, and a few trail rides per week.

"My" horse (owned by the stable owner) was a 15 hand paint mare. She's very strong, stubborn, and has lots of "spunk" and "personality" ;)

I'm on the prowl looking for a new stable because my trainer recently stopped giving lessons. She works a corporate job full time and started in an mba program (she's planning to eventually start her own facility, I can't wait!) so she has no time for lessons anymore. If you happen to know a great trainer in the Chicago area, lemme know :p

The search for a new trainer and stable is on, and it's upped to full force with ski season ending. It's a bit of a hunt, I've come across places with horses that suit me but no trainer who does, and vice versa. I've also come across two places where the horses were horribly kept. No turnout time, tons of pent up energy, not washed frequently, it's horrible!

I'm going to check out a few more places this weekend, wish me luck!

Do you have pics of your horses?

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woody is beautiful, skigirl.

Have you ridden Icelandics? I've been thinking about doing a skiing/riding trip to Vermont some time. The Vermond Icelandic Horse Farm https://www.icelandichorses.com/ looks interesting, and they're near Mad River Glen.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Other peoples horses

I used to work on ranches as well as excersise other peoples horses.
I never owned one rode all the time for about a five year period. Showed other peoples horses, barrelled a little rode some omoksee, did alot of trail riding I was 11-15 then. At 16 I got my first mountain bike and have been on a horse less than 10 times in the past 20 years. I am surrounded by them all of my neighbors have them, but I simply have no interest in them. Although I love Nancy Glazier's
(Glasier's ) paintings of them. That's about it.

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
horses

Num,
Thank You. Yes she is beautiful and she knows it!! I am not familiar with that breed but the Farm and horses look very nice.

My horses are very happy to have winter over. Today the pasture was finally dry enough for everyone to lay down outside and enjoy the sun and heat. It was very cute to see all 3 of them laying down at the same time.

skigirl

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are there any other Riding Divas out there?? I have been riding for a few weeks now and my horses and I are finally getting fit again!!

I ride, although not this year as I have not found a situation that is affordable and meets my limited schedule.... I rode as a kids for a number of years and then started again in 2004, same year that I took up skiing. Would love to ride more but haven't found the right situation for me yet.

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own a reining-bred Quarter Horse mare, quite a diva in her own right! (One of her nicknames is the Stall Princess, she does love her stall!).

I ride both English and Western. While I'm riding an all-purpose Collegiate, we're doing more dressage-type stuff--and in the western, we're working on reining skills. She has a lovely haunches turn that we're developing into a spin...she did a nice spin in English tack for me last night, better than she had in the lesson a couple of days before in Western tack!

I'd like to jump her, but the size of her feet and cannon bones vs her body weight makes me cautious. She's a timid jumper, to boot, and I'm a novice. If I had the cash....well, I'd probably find myself a nice old packer of a hunt seat horse and jump that one as well.

Yeah. Right. Like I have time...

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two horses:

Ginger is a 17.1hh Latvian warmblood and the apple of my eye, 7 years old (I got her at four), she was bred for dressage but can clear 6'! :eek:

Stinger is 13.3hh Haflinger who is basically square! :thumbsup: He's a cheeky monster and will get EVERYONE off once - he broke my ski buddy's wrist 2 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Both are ridden european style although I've taught Ginger to neck rein as it's a good way to get her to pay attention whilst "not working" if that makes sense.

I'm in to natural horsemanship (Monty Roberts) and both are barefoot and out 24/7.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I have 2 horses, too. (Well, as my daughter looking over my shoulder reminds me, one is hers.) One is a quarter-horse gelding, named Simon. He is 17.1 and he's 10. I ride him dressage. He's learning how to jump. He is as steady as they go -- just about unflappable in the face of anything, in the ring or out on trail. This spring and summer has been hard on both of us. He had a sub-solar abcess, which kept him out of full work for a bit. But, it seems to be healing now.

My daughter's horse is a paint named Belle. She is 15.1 and she's 7. She's turned out to be the most pleasant young horse possible and the two of them are quite the team.

We aren't show girls, but we do love riding and hacking about.

Happy trails!

Marwe

Diva in Training
I´m having a small English racehorse 14 years old, well she´s not racing any longer. Now shes competing in dressage and showjumping just for fun, for me to have some paper that what I doing giving some results. It was´t the easiest horse to learn how to behave on a dressage competiton. And well. much of our time we spending out in the forest just having fun also =) summers as winter. A galopp in powder is not wrong. Not just skis that works in powder =)

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I've always had horses growing up. Now that I'm on my own I have to depend on my folks. My parents live in Black Forest, CO and are avid Arabian horsepeople. This summer I am planning to really get into riding much more.

Right now my mother has a 1/2 Arab, 1/2 CO Rocky Mountain horse - mare. She's a big, beautiful beast of a woman. She will take you over the mountains & back again. She's a typical mare, however, and is as bitchy as the day is long. Nice ride though. Her name is Dantilla. She's considered my Dad's horse.

My mother also has Chance. He's a purebred Arabian gelding. Just a cute little guy. Very sweet horse; he's like a big dog. My mother & Chance are inseperable. She's won 2 of her first endurance races on Chance.

My mother, father & I all ride endurance. My mother does the 25, 50 & 75 mile rides all over Colorado & Utah. She is currently scouring the entire NATION looking for a top endurance Arabian. She's in her mid 50's and said she wants her dream horse before it's too late. She's only 5'1" - but is searching the globe for the biggest Arabian she can find (as you may know, Arabs are typically small). So far she's looked at about 10 horses, but none pass the vet-checks. Isn't that weird?

Anyway, with my mother's puchase of her new horse, it will mean each of us in the family will have our own horse. They have a live in trailer with room for 3 horses. The past 2 summers we have taken trips to Music Pass (CO) and Crested Butte for camping and riding. We have our dogs & I bring my mountain bike...it's great.

So I'm guessing I'll inherit Chance as my horse this summer since my Dad is a little to big to ride him. Can't WAIT!!!:yahoo:

If any of you horsewomen are in Colorado & like to ride endurance - we like to go fast. Let me know!! We definitely are planning many camping trips this summer.

skigrl27

Will try to post some pics here of Chance & Dantilla....
n711391869_200669_3898.jpg

Chance:
n711391869_200667_3325.jpg

Chance again:
n711391869_200666_2880.jpg

These were taken early this winter - so they're all fuzzy looking with their winter coats. I love when they get all fuzzy!!

skigrl27

oooh & I really like this pic too with his breath showing in the air. He was all pissed off at a dumptruck passing by when I shot this:

n711391869_200664_2318.jpg

AnnKH

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a horse in high school (a loooong time ago), and belonged to our local Saddle Club. We had fun shows (mostly games), rode in parades, and camped and rode in a nearby state park.

I ride when I can now. Hubby grew up on a cattle ranch, and always thought horses meant work until I took him trail riding in Minnesota, and he loved it!

My Mom and I spend a long weekend here every year:
https://www.gunflint.com/
In addition to a very well-run riding stable, they have a fantastic restaurant, which is just what we need after a long day on horseback.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I used to have a horse in middle/high school and compete as well. We did hunter/jumper. I rode all through college on the equestrian team but once I started working, I've only been riding on and off again. Right now I'm in an "off" phase. I do spend time at a guest ranch in Colorado each winter though-- I've made it an annual event and combine it with skiing at Steamboat. 4 days skiing and 3 days at the ranch! It's fun to ride in the snow, even if it's only one plowed out trail.

C

CMCM

My dear, beautiful Arabian mare Mishala died suddenly last summer....I'm still mourning her and haven't ridden since. She was 24, and I'd had her since she was 9. I rode English or Western on her and loved training her....I always wanted to do dressage and learned some of the dressage things, but never did anything formally. Most of my riding I did in my small arena or I took her on nearby trails (I live in the mountains so there are trails everywhere from my house). She got sick out of nowhere....she had NEVER been sick in her entire life and then suddenly, she was down and I had the vet up at midnight and he said he had to put her down, then and there. I held her head while he gave her the injection. It was unbearably painful to watch, and I was really in shock thru the whole thing as it unfolded. She's buried on my property (although I couldn't bear to watch when they did it), and I got a small headstone for her. I miss her terribly. So all I have now is Buzzy, the companion I got about 5 years ago....a 34" miniature who is a real sweetheart, now very lonely. They were great buddies and couldn't bear to be apart. I'm upset just writing about this.... :Cry:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna