• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Riding divas

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
CMCM I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to have to put your life long friend down. My chest gets tight and my eyes are welling up just thinking about it. It is, was without a doubt the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. Isn't it ironic that for creatures that are so large, with such giving generous hearts that they are really so fragile and vunerable to so many things outside of our control. My deepest sympathy goes out to you on your loss.

I have been leasing my new girl "Bunny" (even though she is being offered to me for an incredible price) because somehow in my mind that protects me from the responsibility of ever having to make that terrible decision again. She has just turned 10 yrs old and is still plenty sassy but I am just afraid, I know my vet thinks I'm a horsey hypochondriac but he still comes anyway because he knows that I get freaked out at the thought of losing another horse.

C

CMCM

CMCM I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to have to put your life long friend down. My chest gets tight and my eyes are welling up just thinking about it. It is, was without a doubt the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. Isn't it ironic that for creatures that are so large, with such giving generous hearts that they are really so fragile and vunerable to so many things outside of our control. My deepest sympathy goes out to you on your loss.

I have been leasing my new girl "Bunny" (even though she is being offered to me for an incredible price) because somehow in my mind that protects me from the responsibility of ever having to make that terrible decision again. She has just turned 10 yrs old and is still plenty sassy but I am just afraid, I know my vet thinks I'm a horsey hypochondriac but he still comes anyway because he knows that I get freaked out at the thought of losing another horse.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. And I completely understand your thought on leasing. Funny, on one level I sort of always knew I'd have to deal with this, but somehow I thought I'd see it coming....she'd decline, get sicker and sicker, and I'd have time to adjust. When it comes on so quickly like it did, you don't have time to "adjust" to things. I think that's why I don't want another one...I don't want to deal with it again. I guess I was lucky to have her as long as I did. :(

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm very sorry for your loss, CMCM. I've never owned my own horse, but the bond can be so strong, even shareboarding, so I imagine it was beyond heartbreaking with a horse you'd bonded with for 15 years. :hug:

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I miss horses SOOOOOO much.
:(

My mom's fifth-generation in a cattle ranching family, so she grew up doing the local rodeo circuit, barrel racing, and trying to win rodeo queen, lol. They sold the ranch when I was a small child, but obviously it was still in the blood and they still had access to horses, so I grew up doing horsey things, like riding when visiting grandparents, going to (western) horse camp, and taking up hunter jumper for a few years in high school.

I have also had friends with access to horses on and off, and that's really the best if you are not wanting/ready/equipped to own. All of the fun and none of the worries/cost.

I haven't ridden much in recent years, although when we're on vacation (at least pre-kids) I have tried to find good stables and ride most days. It's amazing-- you can find good places to ride even in the most touristy spots, if you ask the right questions, get checked out, and ask to go out privately. We had a wonderful experience at a place in Maui that I think generally does the slow trail ride for the masses. We got lots of independence and a fun, fun time in some gorgeous scenery.

Needless to say, this is something I would like to rediscover. And I am having a hard time figuring out how, exactly. The first barrier is being a SAHM to two kids with a DH who travels-- not many stables offer childcare while riding, lol. Also, the expense with two little kids, if I am paying a trainer and a babysitter a few days a week.

I have been thinking about riding a LOT lately, though, and have started doing a little research into local stables and trainers. Maybe in a year it will make sense again. I hope.
:redface:

perma-grin

CMCM I so totally understand where you are coming from. William was 31 yrs when he foundered he had an amazing life and career 1st on the track,(big chesnut thoughbred 16.3" although not brilliant on the track) then as a dressage horse , then after I had retired him as a 4H ride for a very loving horse crazy 12 yr old girl (he cleaned up and brought her lots of ribbons). 4H shows aren't as demanding as 4th level test so he still got his arena time to shine! Lol! The point is that even though I knew the time was coming soon and even that knowledge didn't make it any less of a shock when the time actually came. The only thing that helped was that I know that he was always loved and loved deeply. I think you know that about Mishala too. It's a big void to fill. It makes me very sad to think of all of the horses right now that aren't being cared for, or cared about for that matter. That have never, and will never be loved by someone:Cry: Maybe you could board for someone in return for riding rights, that would help your mini out too? Or better maybe you could foster a rescued horse? There are so many that need a chance!
I have found that I really need that horse-therapy even if it's only pulling a mane, grooming. A horse relaxes me in a way that nothing else can. And is much cheaper than daily visits with a shrink!Lol! Plus a horse will never tell you secrets! :wink: At the risk of being kicked off the forum riding is my most favorite thing to do. I alway's pulled my son out of school on my birthday(dec.) we skied in the morning and rode in the afternoon! Those will alway's be the best birthday's know matter how old I live to be!!!:love: My kid, my horse, and skiing it just doesn't get any better than that! :thumbsup:

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
My mare Trixie and I at Spruce Meadows this summer! She's a 8 yr old, 16.2hh Dutch Warmblood. Love her to death! Nice to see lots of other horsey ladies who ski too!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Trixie the diva, Trixie the mare is beautiful!

I think skiing and riding go very well together. Crosstraining :smile:

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! Trixie is probably more of a Diva than me, she is very spoiled! Showjumping is really my main sport, and skiing is secondary. Alas, I am at university and couldn't bring my horse with me, but there is a ski hill close by!
Last year I didn't really ski too much because I took Trixie to California and competed her there for 3 months. It was a blast!

perma-grin

ah, what a gorgeous girl! What a pretty face. I love a bay! How long have you been riding her? She looks like she loves her job and does it well! Did you do a working student thing in california or did you go strictly to compete? In either case it sounds like a lot of hard work and fun!! I am very jealous! Lol!:drool:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mare Trixie and I at Spruce Meadows this summer! She's a 8 yr old, 16.2hh Dutch Warmblood. Love her to death! Nice to see lots of other horsey ladies who ski too!

Hi Trixie.
Admittedly, I'm not a horse person, but I had the pleasure of spending the evening with epic, from EpicSki, and his lovely family. His wife showed me some video of her horse work that resembled your pics, though I can't recall the size of the jumps.
This is a beautiful thing.

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
A great bond between a horse and rider really is a beautiful thing, SnowHot. Horses are really amazing in many ways, especially their ability to adapt to unnatural demands that we sometimes put on them. They deserve to be treated like gold!
Perma-Grin: I am lucky enough to have a very supportive mother who has let me pursue my riding dreams, and so we bought Trixie about 2 years ago from Ireland. It was totally surreal going to Ireland to try out all these horses! But Trixie just felt like "the one". I went to California strictly to compete for a month and a half, but I also met a great holistic vet there, and she invited me to say on with her in California (with Trixie) for as long as I wanted. So I stayed and worked her horses and learned lots from her for another month and half before I headed home in May, and then it was the beginning of the spring/summer show season here and we competed until August when I had to leave for school!

perma-grin

Trixe! Now I know that I am so totally jealous!!! You are so blessed! I don't know what I 'm more envious of going to Ireland on a buying trip, or meeting up with a holistic vet. Did you work on accupuncture and chiropratic medicine there? I have been using a chiropracter on Bunny for a year now it seems to be helping. She was trained for show in "Western Pleasure" not having had much exposure to that type of movement, I thought that she was lame on my first ride! Lol! She is my first "stock" type horse she feels much different on top of that she had been "spur stopped" trained which is very frustrating to work with! When I bump in on a rising trot to speed up she thinks I'm asking for a stop! Trail and cross country were very frustrating at first. But I love her and she is coming along! This is a picture of Bunny doing what she does best! Lol! Me too come to think of it!

Attachments

• vaulting pictures 05-06 621.jpg
    vaulting pictures 05-06 621.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
Your mare is very cute! I love the colour and her little star! I know what you mean about the Western Pleasure type horses, I am riding a horse for a woman (I met her by fluke) who lives close to the University. She has a little (15.2hh or 15.3hh) Quarter Horse who was trained WP, and now I am trying to teach him to jump! It took a few rides to get him to realise that I actually wanted him to go forward!
The holistic vet was fabulous, she did teach me about accupuncture (I had Trixie done a few times and she loooves it) and chiropractic techniques. I was interested to learn about the meridians of energy running through horses (and our own) bodies and how they affect everything. She did teach me some great stretches and massage techniques as well. One thing she really stressed was the importance of having the horses' teeth properly floated. I had Trixie's done by a vet who used power tools, and she showed me what a terrible job power tools can do! Now I only get her done with hand tools. If you find that your mare needs chiropractic work, but haven't had her teeth looked at, get them done! If the horse can't move his mouth properly, his TMJ gets sore, making him stiff and tense, which makes his muscles sore. It was a real eye-opener. The TMJ is very important. If you are interested, I can try to explain a way you can test to see if your mare's TMJ is hurting.

perma-grin

Hey Tixie kind of off subject but not but have you ever used those old Mac boots? I used studs with snow poppers last year, but I'm thinking of pulling her shoes in December. And getting the old mac's for the limited trail that I will do during the ski season. I do mostly flat work indoors with her once the ski season starts our arena is sand so she doesn't need shoes on. I use shoes on the dirt roads because of all of the choride they use here. I don't like being on the roads with the snow banks and idiots. Tomorrow rifle deer season starts and I tend to stay out of the woods although I do have some safe property to trailer to. My girlfriend swears by the old macs for her warmblood cross, and it seems like the best solution to my never ending guilt trip (when it's snowing and she's outside in her pasture). Besides I think it would be better for her feet not to have shoes on for four months at a stretch. Any thoughts or experience with them? They run around $150.00 Thats pretty close to what I pay for a shoeing w/studs and poppers so it seems pretty economical too.

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
I've never used the Old Mac boots, but I know lots of endurance riders use them, so I would assume they would have good "grip" for trail riding. It depends on your horse's feet whether it would be better to pull the shoes or leave them on. If your horse is really flat footed (like mine) then shoes are a must. Also if her feet are "crumbly", I would leave the shoes on. But it sounds like you have pulled them before? So you'd know what to expect. Usually I like to have the shoes on and put in pads to stop the snow from balling up underneath (poppers?), although I know sometimes they work with limited success. Can I ask why you use studs? Just for traction? Do you use removable ones or permant?

Either way, it sounds like the Mac boots would suit you. But I would talk to your farrier in case he has any suggestions.

perma-grin

Hi! Yes I pull her shoes every year for two reasons: one because the weather here in Michigan can really suck! Lol! But two because I go home to Ketchum for anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks mid- season to ski. So Bunny gets some down time my God daughter comes over to ride her indoors twice a week but thats it. She has good feet, they just seem so tiny compared to the size of her body! Lol! Yes the poppers are the pads. I have always used the studs (borium cleats just fronts naked on back) for winter trail riding. Though admittedly in the mountains we had a lot more snow and rock on the trails. Here ice over-laying on the dirt trails and roads seems to be a bigger problem. The area we ride is very hilly and the roads have been heavily chlorided. They don't usuall soften up to much until mid January. By that time I'm on the road with clinics and lessons. The gal that told me about the boots is an endurance rider. She loves them they just seem to good to be true.:noidea: They aren't the type that leaves the little poky dents, this kind looks and fits like a rubber boot with a neoprene inner. I think I'm going to have to give them a try. Thanks for the input.:yahoo:

pollittcl

Certified Ski Diva
Unfortunately I can't afford to ride and ski. :(

I rode and competed both hunt seat and stock seat equitation all through college, and taught in my college phys ed programme. I then went to England to take riding exams - I was a working student at an Olympic dressage and event stable for 9 months. I didn't manage to get all the teaching exams done because I can't jump a strange horse 3 foot 6 inch across country - I'm such a wuss. But I qualified as a groom. I then returned to the US and taught riding privately for a while - ran a few summer camps, stable managed, etc, before grooming on the 'A' circuit in FL for a winter, which led to a job grooming 'A' circuit ponies in NY. That was fairly hard, not the work but being a white female groom in a largely male Mexican population. So I was ready for a change when my boss asked me if I would be the nanny for her daughter. Not such a strange request since she knew that was what I had aimed to train to do straight from highschool - I just got distracted by the horses at university. I then rode as much as possible until I ended up working for a family who skied, and then I got a new obsession!

I'd like to ride - I enjoyed dressage but with my current life style it is not possible to own a horse, or even to take regular lessons. Oh well.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My warmblood is barefoot. Yes, my warmblood. I had her shoes pulled when she was 6 and we've not looked back (8 now). She moves like a dream and can handle roadwork* no bother at all. Rocky paths can be difficult - the more you ride the tougher they get - like any of us running around barefoot.

I would never go back to shoes and I hate seeing horrible little upright hooves and poor horses with "navicular".

I know everyone has a free choice - but don't write off going barefoot just because you've not got a Highland pony.

*Houston police force are barefoot.

perma-grin

i wouldn't be opposed to going barefoot. However Bunny is a long term lease ( her mommy is back in nursing school) and shoes are in my contract for trail riding. It is rather expensive! I would much rather pay $65.00 for a trim than $130.00 for shoes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga