• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2016 Volkl Kenja

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By all definitions I never found, even the old Kenjas, to be unforgiving. I just couldn't work them the way they were designed to be b/c of my mass? If that makes sense? I'd still pick them over most skis, though... but I'm a Volkl homer despite being a featherweight.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nah, I'm 100 lbs. on a good day. I can't work them the way they want to be. I skied the Kenjas for 3? years? And was 100% comfortable on them despite not being able to flex them. I loved them and was OK, but my knees started hurting over time. I was never uncomfortable on them, if that makes sense? Just over time, I realized I couldn't bend them the way they were designed to be?
That makes sense, and they ARE still a stiff ski.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's the thing I don't feel will ever make sense to most people. :smile: I loved my Kenjas. I could 100% control them; I never felt like they were skiing me. But even though I could control them, I wasn't working them to their max? If that makes sense? Which is why I downgraded to the Yumi.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are changes to 2016 model: "The Kenja’s new design includes a wider waist (now 90 mm underfoot) tip and tail rocker as well as early taper in the tip.", so no changes to the construction materials.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like that they made the newer Kenjas wider... not that I've demo'ed them.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will say, as both a Yumi and Kenja owner, I have to make a much more concerted effort in chunky snow to keep the Yumis on edge in those conditions to avoid being tossed around than I did on the Kenjas. And the Yumis are damp for a non-metal ski, but it is noticeable.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
They are only 2 mm wider....I doubt that´s a discernible difference between last year´s 88 mm waist. Plus, the tapered tip makes the ski very easy to tip and turn. That said, I do like skinny skis, too. My slalom skis are 66 underfoot, I think. Far easier to the knees to put those up on edge all day.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Basically, I wish I had the mass/technique/muscle to work a metal ski... but I don't.... but I love them anyhow. lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would love to demo the newer Kenjas, but I would doubt that I'd find them in a 149 on a demo day. 156 seems to be the demo standard.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would love to demo the newer Kenjas, but I would doubt that I'd find them in a 149 on a demo day. 156 seems to be the demo standard.
You got nothing to lose. Demo 156 and instead of doing 3 runs turn them in after one run :-) I recall you used to have older Kenjas in 156, so that would be a good comparison.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, I could demo the 156. My first Kenjas, which I sold a couple years ago, were 156. But I can't really work that length in bumps and trees.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess my end point is this... And I'm not sure how to make this make sense? I love the Kenjas. I do. And I get I'm not the norm. I love them, even though I can appreciate I can't take them where they want to be taken. I could buy them, and I could ski them. But I can't ski them the way they are meant to be skied? Yay, for being athletic? Boo for being a lightweight? I'm not meaning to be an ass, I just don't know how else to describe it? I'm a former gymnast, and I'm athletic for my size, but the more I've skied the more I've realized mass plays into it all? And even though I love the dampness of stiffer (metal) skis, I can't bend them. I can't. I dunno how to say this without sounding like a douche. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess my end point is this... And I'm not sure how to make this make sense? I love the Kenjas. I do. And I get I'm not the norm. I love them, even though I can appreciate I can't take them where they want to be taken. I could buy them, and I could ski them. But I can't ski them the way they are meant to be skied? Yay, for being athletic? Boo for being a lightweight? I'm not meaning to be an ass, I just don't know how else to describe it? I'm a former gymnast, and I'm athletic for my size, but the more I've skied the more I've realized mass plays into it all? And even though I love the dampness of stiffer (metal) skis, I can't bend them. I can't. I dunno how to say this without sounding like a douche. :smile:
I kind of feel the same way about the Sambas, although I've never skied them in a shorter length to see if it's a length issue. They're a fantastic, fun ski and I've had some great days on them, but they are either a little TOO far above my skill level right now or??? I don't know. I just don't think I can work them the way they need to be skied to get their full benefit. I need a ski that will let me figure out how to ski crud and chop and cut up powder (let alone powder!) and they just aren't that ski. They want to go DOWN the hill, I want to cut across a lot still.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
12654490_10201491560368217_897394722112809552_n.jpg

12654258_10201492026979882_4267274560103156984_n.jpg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess this would be a far better description in an alternate thread, but I never know how to describe my ability on this forum other than the vague advanced intermediate - low advanced? How do you know you've reach the pinnacle of advanced?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess this would be a far better description in an alternate thread, but I never know how to describe my ability on this forum other than the vague advanced intermediate - low advanced? How do you know you've reach the pinnacle of advanced?
I was going to say if you spend a lot of time off-piste, but then I have at least one friend who is a pretty bad skier who skis off-piste all the time. So, I don't really know the answer to that!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I spend all the time I can (in PA) in bumps and trees? Bumps more than trees. I'm not afraid, but it's limited experience for sure....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga