• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2016 Volkl Kenja

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, count me into the Volkl club! Apparently there is something to be said for a ski with metal in it and I LIKE it, I like it a lot! :thumbsup:

I'll add more to this as I ski them more. So far, I have skied them on a truly hero groomer day with bluebird skies, and a day with a couple inches of VERY dense, fresh snow with pushed around piles that'd launch you if not careful, in low-vis. Loved them both times. Nice, nice skis! For reference, I have mostly been skiing a Blizzard Samba in a 166 which I loved some days and other days, they flat out kicked my butt. Blizzard Black Pearls in a 159 that were just too short. Kastle LX82 in a 164 that I did not like in chop or crud very much.

Manufacture: Volkl
Model: 2016 Kenja
Length: 163
Category & Dimensions: All-Mountain with a groomer bias. 127-90-110 16.8 meter turn radius at 163
Ability: Advanced, Expert
Conditions: 50% Groomed, 50% Powder
Core: Multi Layer Wood
Construction: Power Construction
Powered by Titanium
Rocker: Tip & Tail Rocker

Tester: 5'5" 125 lb. almost advanced skier, cautious, 46 years old. Ski a lot of days--41 this year so far.

1=Poor 2= Fair 3=Average 4=Very Good 5=Excellent
Short Turns: 5
Medium Turns: 5
Long Turns: 5
Rebound: 5--so much energy in these skis, yet not jittery! Not damp, either. I'd say a perfect blend.
Stability: 5
Forgiveness: 4. I don't know how to rate this. They have yet to kick my butt or make me feel out of control. But if one is not used to working a ski at least a little, they might be intimidating.
Grip: 5
Steeps: 5--confidence inspiring!
Crud: 4. A little less "damp" than my Sambas, offset by the fact that they are easier to maneuver.
Powder: n/a. Hope to try them there tomorrow.
Ice: n/a. No ice to be found right now, however, hold like a true Volkl on sheered off spots.
Overall Impression: 5

Tested Length Felt: Just right

Best Described As: Balanced with a nod towards nimble. These skis are EASY to ski! Nimble, powerful, stable.

Notes: After muscling around my Sambas for 3 seasons now, which in some conditions I LOVE, and feeling like my Black Pearls were too short and hard to get the right tip engaged, I decided to try out a new daily driver ski. Living in Utah, a 90 seems narrow for a daily driver, but due to my tibial plateau fracture last season, and the fact that I seriously lack confidence in powder and crud anyway, plus my height and weight, a 100mm+ ski doesn't make much sense except for deeper days, and I have Savory 7's for those days. I wanted a TRUE daily driver that would give me the confidence to even attempt to ski off-piste more often. I believe I have found them.

My favorite shop that I have a good customer relationship with mounted these skis up for me the night before just so I could demo them. :tongue: Mounted with Marker Squire demos, these babies are LIGHT. I'm not a huge fan of the Squire bindings (still) but I wasn't going to change a thing about how these skied--they were PERFECT and I knew after a few turns that I was going to buy them.

I normally need to take a full warm-up run (which is 2200 feet of vertical) to get my feet under me and feel like I'm ready. Not with the Kenjas. I literally hit the hill and took off. I have NEVER had a ski feel so much like an extension of my feet. I was much more confident letting them just bomb down the fall line with a roll of the ankle to get a nice long turn out of them. And I could also lay into a short, abrupt turn and they held like they were on rails. When things started getting chopped up with pretty grabby, sticky snow (you know, the kind that will rattle your fillings out of your teeth) they were stable and I was able to once again let them run OR make really nice, round turns without skidding. Not as smooth overall on that kind of snow as the Sambas, but their stability made up for that.

I will get them out in what should be about a foot of fresh tomorrow, or at least the leftovers. I did take them in a few inches of untracked and they definitely weren't as easy to ski in it as the Sambas, but I wasn't expecting them to be. They also didn't feel scary in it. Just different, so I'll adjust to that tomorrow and report back. I know they won't give lots of float, I just want them to be easy to maneuver AND be easier on my knees.

Overall, a hero ski for me who lacks confidence. I do believe these skis are going to help me push right into the advanced skier category by the end of this season.

If you are considering the Kenjas but are worried they are too stiff or demanding, don't be. They are so nimble and easy to maneuver, and easy to lock into a turn.
Two thumbs up! :thumbsup:
VOE-1516-Kenja-Top-RGB_01.png

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Great review! You experienced exactly what I have been experiencing with them. Awesome, awesome ski. They make bumps easier, too. :-) Welcome to the club!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great review! You experienced exactly what I have been experiencing with them. Awesome, awesome ski. They make bumps easier, too. :-) Welcome to the club!
Have you skied them in much crud/cut up powder yet? I will say, the more I skied them yesterday, the more things got chopped up and downright gloppy/grabby, and the more I realized I could really rely on them. I didn't WANT to slow down for the more challenging snow LOL! Yet I could really make reliable short and medium-radius turns on them on just about any pitch. They'd lock in and just rail through the stuff, and some of it was pretty deep and definitely grabby. Seems like they'll do whatever I want them to do, and respond to aggressiveness, yet stay compliant and hold onto the turn like a knife, which I have discovered I really like. I am not comfortable at much speed, so I like to make across the fall line turns and I want my ski to LOCK into those turns. These do that. Can't wait to get out there on them again!

Reactions: jgj

Jenny

Angel Diva
Quick question - anybody know if the 2016 Kenja is different than the men's Kendo? I took a quick look and they seem to be the same.

I can demo the Kenja in a 163 but if I want to try a 170 then I need to try the Kendo. However, if it's stiffer then that won't do me much good.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have read they are the same, but can't confirm that. If you're in between sizes and are not sure, they do not ski short IMO.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Have you skied them in much crud/cut up powder yet? I will say, the more I skied them yesterday, the more things got chopped up and downright gloppy/grabby, and the more I realized I could really rely on them. I didn't WANT to slow down for the more challenging snow LOL! Yet I could really make reliable short and medium-radius turns on them on just about any pitch. They'd lock in and just rail through the stuff, and some of it was pretty deep and definitely grabby. Seems like they'll do whatever I want them to do, and respond to aggressiveness, yet stay compliant and hold onto the turn like a knife, which I have discovered I really like. I am not comfortable at much speed, so I like to make across the fall line turns and I want my ski to LOCK into those turns. These do that. Can't wait to get out there on them again!
Yes, I've had them in crud, we've seemed to have a lot of that this year here, ha. My first time on them was in soft, grabby snow. They excel in it. They are also wonderful in soft, bumpy snow. Last weekend, I had them in cut up powder and they were awesome. They can lock into an aggressive turn, but they also make smearing turns very easy. I had them out today...I was feeling very tired and listless, yet the Kenjas allowed me to make slow, easy turns and just noodle around.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I beige this year's crop of free ride skis are identical except for length and graphics.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I beige this year's crop of free ride skis are identical except for length and graphics.
I heard Volkl graphics are really nice for next year...I guess we´ll find out soon!
Hopefully they won´t mess with a good thing as far as design goes.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Andrew from Northern Edge Snowsports just posted pcs from SIA. My reaction was " Blech! Who picks this stuff???"

If I only demo 2 skis this season it will be the new Kenja, curious how it compares to my model (last years) and the RTM 81. I have a few others but those 2 are the quick n dirty list. I think last years Kenja is a dream to ski so curious about this years.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I've had them in crud, we've seemed to have a lot of that this year here, ha. My first time on them was in soft, grabby snow. They excel in it. They are also wonderful in soft, bumpy snow. Last weekend, I had them in cut up powder and they were awesome. They can lock into an aggressive turn, but they also make smearing turns very easy. I had them out today...I was feeling very tired and listless, yet the Kenjas allowed me to make slow, easy turns and just noodle around.
Yes to this today!! I hit a few untracked powder patches and they were fine, but they were fantastic in the cut up powder, chop, etc. I skied a few ungroomed black diamonds today and I LOVED it! They are so easy to initiate the turn in that stuff, make a quick cut across the hill and regather my balance (I still suck in it) and then make another turn. I am beginning to think I prefer a ski that slices through stuff vs. float up over the top of it, for whatever reason. These slice in yet still obviously provide some float.

Hero skis! I also hit an all-time personal speed limit today of 35mph, and I didn't even notice I was going that fast!

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can
Andrew from Northern Edge Snowsports just posted pcs from SIA. My reaction was " Blech! Who picks this stuff???"
Can you share? I'm curious! I am not in love with the pink, but the overall design of mine with the black I like.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I'm really glad you're liking the Kenjas. :smile: I wish I could have worked them the way they wanted to be worked. They're a great ski.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I had them out today...I was feeling very tired and listless, yet the Kenjas allowed me to make slow, easy turns and just noodle around.
I like the sound of that! You're tall - what length do you ski them in? And does the length you choose differ between tele and alpine?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I'm really glad you're liking the Kenjas. :smile: I wish I could have worked them the way they wanted to be worked. They're a great ski.
Thanks!! You might try them again, reviews are saying this year's a lot friendlier ski with the addition of tail rocker and a change to the shape of the tip. They are SO easy to ski!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nah, I'm 100 lbs. on a good day. I can't work them the way they want to be. I skied the Kenjas for 3? years? And was 100% comfortable on them despite not being able to flex them. I loved them and was OK, but my knees started hurting over time. I was never uncomfortable on them, if that makes sense? Just over time, I realized I couldn't bend them the way they were designed to be?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna