• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overcrowding at Ski Resorts

marzNC

Angel Diva
Longer lift lines on weekends have been the norm in the southeast for quite a while. Growth in the population in the region over the last 20-30 years is clearly a factor. Snowshoe in WV is on Ikon. There are a few resorts on Indy. Every place else has standard season pass options or day/night tickets.

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yet the industry claims skiing visits are down.
I think that was the former trend, but according to the national ski areas association, the number of skier visits went up 3.5% last season

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that was the former trend, but according to the national ski areas association, the number of skier visits went up 3.5% last season

I agree! I should have noted my comment was sarcasm! But I have been told recently by a resort management type that numbers were down. I think that was to justify something but…. My experience is lots of people on the hill.

Jilly

Staff member
As @lady_Salina stated, a lot of the resorts in Ontario are not on any mega pass. We only have 1 that is on Ikon. Yet everyone seems to be busier than before Covid. Quebec is similar in that only 1 resort in on a mega pass, that being Tremblant. With Mont Ste Anne being closed over Christmas (gondola issues etc) it's made the rest of the area busy too.

So I don't think here in Ontario/Quebec it's the mega passes. Only 1 resort in each province is on it.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but does anyone know of any resorts struggling with overcrowding that are not on a megapass at all?

Are there any resorts struggling with this that are on a limited version of a megapass (for example, on the Ikon pass but only for 5 or 7 days vs unlimited days)? I think Snowbasin might be an example of this, but I'm not in the loop enough with Utah to know all the ways you can buy a pass to Snowbasin. I also think Jackson Hole is an example of this.

And it's a little odd to me that Jackson is struggling with this and Aspen isn't. Both are limited on the Ikon pass, both have relatively expensive season passes, neither is close enough to a major metro area to get day trippers.

I guess I am just trying to see if it's possible to pull out other contributing factors here beyond megapasses.
Snowbasin has in 9 years gone from one of the quietest places I've skied, to one of the busiest, and the biggest change was when they first went on Mountain Collective and we started seeing an uptick in skiers from nearby resorts, then to Epic when weekdays became the new weekend with weekends being madness, to Ikon this year and it's been overrun by people escaping the BCC and LCC drives. So guess what? Now the drive to Snowbasin (for those of us who know better) has turned into a race to get out of bed and get your ass up there early. Even weekdays one has to get up earlier and earlier. Lift line management is non-existent (it's a free-for-all) finding a place to sit down for breakfast or lunch is impossible, and getting out of the resort at 4:00 on a Saturday is a lesson in patience. My husband had a lesson last Saturday that ended at 4, he got to his car at 4:30, and proceeded to move 3 miles in an hour. So yeah, Ikon has pulled in tons of skiers who would never ski Snowbasin and it has taken away a lot of the joy of it. It has always been a commuter mountain, and the locals are NOT happy. The feeling is that someone invited 8000 guests to your home for a party, and 10000 showed up.

The mountain gets skied out in ways I've never seen. It's a steep mountain, so there are Sun Valley-like moguls popping up on runs that used to mostly have soft piles. Areas that I used to love to ski off-piste are chewed up so fast now. The bathrooms are dirtier than ever, the lodges look like they get vacuumed once a week (those beautiful lodges.)

My hope is that Snowbasin has figured out that they were not ready for Ikon (if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that spoken) and will back away from it. Not likely, though, as $$ talks. In this case, the $$ is in the form of food and beverage purchases, as they surely can't be making much off of Ikon itself.

Ironically (and sadly) one mountain south is some incredible terrain that Snowbasin used to own and had at one time planned to expand into. Instead, they sold it to private uber-wealthy investors who have turned it into a "Yellowstone Club"; private mountain that the 2% can enjoy, too bad for the rest of us pleebs.

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree! I should have noted my comment was sarcasm! But I have been told recently by a resort management type that numbers were down. I think that was to justify something but…. My experience is lots of people on the hill.
Ha, my apologies! You are right, I have heard grumbles about numbers being down in some places, but it sure didn’t seem that way when you look at full parking lots and full tables in the lodge. It’s hard to tell how crowded a place is from just the lift lines - sometimes that’s a function of choke points, wind holds, etc. And faster lifts don’t necessarily correct the problem of overcrowding. If people aren’t complaining about waiting in line or sitting on a slow chair, they are on the slopes, complaining about how there are too many people skiing next to them!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now the drive to Snowbasin (for those of us who know better) has turned into a race to get out of bed and get your ass up there early.
This. Arriving early enough to get a parking spot has turned into an arms race, and then you have to hope that the resort has enough lifts spinning to spread people out. I have certain landmarks that I need to hit by a certain time on my drive, otherwise I know that it's going to be miserable.

altagirl

Staff member
This. Arriving early enough to get a parking spot has turned into an arms race, and then you have to hope that the resort has enough lifts spinning to spread people out. I have certain landmarks that I need to hit by a certain time on my drive, otherwise I know that it's going to be miserable.
Yes, and add in regular road closures for avy control and everyone heads out earlier and earlier to line up for road opening, blocking neighborhoods and traffic. And it seems like the road closes for 6" of snow these days... which is a good thing that it's so common this year for the drought and snowpack.... but makes for a many hour drive each direction, just to go a few miles. And that is WITH parking reservations.

Christy

Angel Diva

^^^ This is why my husband and I have different passes and don't ski together anymore. He is a morning person and can get up super early on a weekend to get parking at Stevens. I won't say "beat the rush" because apparently he is in a parade the whole way there, but at least it moves and he gets parking. Then he leaves at lunch before everyone else.

I have more flexibility with work these days so, as I know I've said, I've opted out of the megapasses and have a weekday pass for Snoqualmie. I've traded terrain and size for a much mellower experience.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm of the belief than I'm not in traffic, I am traffic, but the effect of Ikon on Snowbasin has been nuts.

The mountain itself isn't bad if you know how to avoid the crowds, and parking isn't horrid, but the drive is now really unpredictable on weekends. I'd take the bus but the convenient bus is going to sit in traffic, too. There's also downstream effects - I'm fine with skiing half a day and leaving, but if I can't get on the mountain easily I'm going to stay later, so anyone hoping to snag parking at 1pm is out of luck.

I can't avoid weekends because that's when the kids can ski, but worse, as a passholder I'm paying three times as much as the Ikon add-on. It's worth it for me, or will be assuming my leg can heal, but for the person who skis 7-8 times? Why bother with a season pass? I'd be curious to see if it's working out financially (maybe all the Ikon people buy more $25 lunches?)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I've become a big fan of pulling in just after noon and skiing til close on days that I know are going to be busy, which works pretty well in Summit County at least. I'm a little surprised more people don't do this. Does it work in Tahoe? LCC / BCC?

There's really not a lot of downside imho, unless skiing untracked is your #1 priority or you want to ski a full day. I almost took a picture of the parking spot I got at A-Basin at ~11:45 a few weeks ago, it was so good.

Jilly

Staff member
I know a lot of skiers at Tremblant that come out for first tracks, load gondola at 7:30 and ski till 10-13:30. Have a coffee at the top with their buddies and ski out and home. A few of my friends don't get their butts out bed before 9, so don't get on the hill till 10-10:30. But they have the fast pass, so no issues for them getting up the gondola.

Thinking when I retire and have to ski a weekend, I'll do the first track thing as long as it not -20C.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised more Mts on the mega passes don't limit guests and make visits by Reservation only- I liked that Taos, Deer Valley, Loon and others are going to reservations for IKON holders and I assume others using each day have to get ressies too?

I did have EPIC to ski Okemo midweek last winter and it was a nightmare- I only went 3x because I was so turned off by the crowds, the trails being scraped off in an hour, it was down right dangerous with out of control skiers, I also didn't like the the lack of customer service- I had been an Okemo pass holder for almost 20yrs- when it was mom and pop ski area. Vail aka Fail ruined it for me.

I really only use my IKON For trips and schedule my days for midweek skiing and occasionally a weekend day- (I did ski snowmass on MLK day and was shocked at low lift lines- it was pre-covid) I skied Mt Tremblant on a Sunday and it was INSANITY and ran us off the Mt after watching so many get taken out by people that shouldn't have been on the black trails (that is my avoidance- ski the steep- "should" have less people)

It's apparent to me that more skiers means more traffic and sadly more injuries. I guess that waiver we all sign-' skiing is dangerous' protects them from lawsuits and therefore they can be over selling the mountain and "CREATING" the hazards? Perhaps as skiers/boarders we should work on changing that portion- IF Mts had to shell out $$$ to injured guests maybe they would be better about not over crowding and creating the hazards?

My ORDA pass I never go on weekends except to Whiteface- most people get tired after about 5 runs and the harder trails haven't been crowded in all my years going up there. I did go to Gore this past Dec on a Sat and it was a ZOO- not enough terrain open, my whole group I ski with left after 2hrs.

I also wonder why there are not many ski patrol policing out of control guests- that's one of my biggest pet peeves. Why aren't the patrol out there being the ski police?

I'm glad my little home bump isn't on any pass- it's been my weekend and holiday go to ski place forever. I'm thankful, we rarely have any lines well maybe 2-3min. For years, I haven't skied on weekends or holidays unless I am traveling to ski- even then if busy, I'll ski thru the 'pavlov lunch hour' then go eat and quit early if still crowded. I hate combat skiing and feeling endangered doing what I love to do.

In the end if we don't have skiers/boarders buying passes and spending $$ we'll all pay more for passes and some Mt's could shut down due to lack of funding or limit lifts? It seems it's a double edge sword. I feel sad for the people that can ONLY ski weekends. Paying top $$ for a day ticket or a season pass only to stand in line for hours in the day, that sucks. And how is it a good experience for newbies when they stand in lines only to get scared to death by the meat missiles rocket shipping down trails?

altagirl

Staff member
I've become a big fan of pulling in just after noon and skiing til close on days that I know are going to be busy, which works pretty well in Summit County at least. I'm a little surprised more people don't do this. Does it work in Tahoe? LCC / BCC?

There's really not a lot of downside imho, unless skiing untracked is your #1 priority or you want to ski a full day. I almost took a picture of the parking spot I got at A-Basin at ~11:45 a few weeks ago, it was so good.
You can, but if you try to leave LCC resorts at closing, you're looking at a several hour drive down the canyon on most weekend days. With a lot of it spent just trying to get out of the parking lots.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
This is why I converted to the Church of Mad River Glen and even went as far as buying a share there. They are serious about the capacity limits and the skier experience. Yesterday the lines were pretty busy because it was a sold-out Saturday with good snow (ski school adds to the lines big time) but the downhill experience is second to none when the snow is good. Even on a sold out Saturday I barely saw anyone else on the trail with me except at a handful of choke points and one little race team group I was trailing. Skied to lunch and there was no one else on the trail with me until I got within a few turns of the main base area.

(This is also why I’m happy I live in a town with very few amenities. My property taxes are almost equal to my starter home mortgage in my 20s but at least I don’t pay a similar amount of property taxes to live in the country while feeling like my personal space is being overrun by tourists. We don’t even have a full service restaurant.)
^^100% agree with this. This is why I have the Indy Pass. I aim to get to resorts 45-60 min early to get good parking, eat my breakfast, get gear on, ect... I have been to Waterville, Pats Peak, and Berkshire East and I haven't seen the craziness than I used to see at Mt Snow, nor have I had to pay for parking. At this point in my life, I get just as much enjoyment out of the smaller resorts vs the larger mega pass ones. On Saturday, Berkshire East parking lot was full when I left at 3 but most runs I skied were mostly empty all day. I have been pleasantly surprised with the conditions at all Indy resorts.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And it seems like the road closes for 6" of snow these days
Same here. CalTrans has gotten a lot more conservative in the last few years and closing the road at times when I think it would have been open 6 years ago (hahaha, I say that like a cranky old-timer even though I've only lived here for 7 years. :smile: ) Related, I think there are more people going up, driving like lunatics, crashing, and closing the roads.

I have more flexibility with work these days so, as I know I've said, I've opted out of the megapasses and have a weekday pass for Snoqualmie. I've traded terrain and size for a much mellower experience.
Also same. For the 2020-2021 season, I had a weekday pass at Sierra at Tahoe, which was super mellow except for one powder day. Last year and this year, I'm at another independent resort. The best part is pulling off the highway to go to the indy resort while everyone else is going to sit in traffic for the next hour and a half going 20 miles to the big name resort on a Saturday. I still try to get away on weekdays if I can, but being able to ski with friends on weekends is also really special.

It works some places in Tahoe, but I don't think it does until closer to 1. And then you have to deal with the heavy traffic leaving the resort at 4. This is probably for the big-name resorts, I was able to easily leave the ski area at ~4 last Saturday and get to my local destination.

You can, but if you try to leave LCC resorts at closing, you're looking at a several hour drive down the canyon on most weekend days. With a lot of it spent just trying to get out of the parking lots.
What happened to me this past Saturday was that I left a friend's cabin near the indy resort, which is 10 miles closer to the Bay Area than the highway exit for the big name resort, at 5:30pm, and the traffic was surprisingly *heavy*. Better than a Sunday evening because it was moving 65-70mph, but definitely heavy. I suspect that the traffic I was mostly cars leaving one of the big name resorts. In the morning, I pulled into the parking lot of the indy resort at 8:50 and had rockstar parking. I had even stopped on my way to pick up breakfast and get gas (and because for reasons I can't explain, two of my cards were declined at the pump, I actually went inside the station to pay). I mean, those were time sucks. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva

There's really not a lot of downside imho, unless skiing untracked is your #1 priority or you want to ski a full day.

That works here but it's more like 1 on weekends--I'm basing that off of the social media posts from ski areas trying to get people to come at 1 or later. On weekdays it seems like you could come around 1130 or 12 and I've done that. Snoq/Stevens/Crystal all have night skiing so we don't quite that abrupt departure at 4, which is nice. I do occasionally come late morning/noonish but I'm not gonna lie. I like fresh corduroy.

I almost took a picture of the parking spot I got at A-Basin at ~11:45 a few weeks ago, it was so good.

I take photos of my parking spot all the time and send them to my husband because it's so novel and delightful to a) get a great space and b) have parking so close to the lift (unlike Crystal which requires a shuttle ride or Stevens which has a miserable uphill slog). Here I am last week! Look at how close the lift is. Dreamy. Also makes for easy tailgaiting. (I don't need to plug in at Snoqualmie--it's only 60 miles--but I do because I can.) If I don't want to plug in, there are spaces right next to the lodge in the background.

1675113049134.png

MissySki

Angel Diva

Not a strategy that works well in the East, unless you want to ski scraped down icy trails in the afternoon exclusively. The best conditions are at open, so I get out then when possible.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is confusion about overcrowding on the slopes & traffic+lack of parking. This past weekend there were no lift lines. But traffic was horrible. Private vehicles only transport 2.7 people Vs 30-50 in buses. Most Americans "want" public transportation & hope someone else will take it so they can continue driving their cars. Zion has a mandatory bus which works great cuz driving ur car is not an option.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna