• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overcrowding at Ski Resorts

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
If it makes you feel better, it's you and me both sister, you're far from alone!

This is the tough thing about trying to improve at a crowded resort - you end up skiing defensively a lot of the time and, at least for me, that means technique tends to fly out the window and I'm just trying to get down without injuring myself or anyone else. Often times I've seen sticking to the more difficult runs suggested to get away from the crowds, but I know I'm not ready for that and haven't had great experiences over terraining myself. Figuring out where to go to both comfortably work on my technique yet avoid crowds is like being stuck between a rock and hard place at times :noidea:

Since you ski Crystal, I've found that some of the runs off of Downhill tend to be less busy, so I'll detour to Rolling Knolls a lot. Magoo is nice too as are the Chapelles.

For Snoqualmie, I've been skiing Summit Central the most and I tend to do Golden Nugget a lot. Alpine seems to get more congested, even though its way more wide and open.
I totally get that. In the end it seems like driving, getting up super early and like you said exploring off the beaten path are needed in a lot of cases. And luck.
One night at Stevens was so clear and open at the top I had a really hard time leaving. We basically had this entire bowl almost all to ourselves. It was a bit icy but that was a fair trade for me to have all that space!
I feel like overall night skiing at West has been the reliably best for me but will try the nugget next season. Central has usually been very crowded when I have been at night. WP always had enough space to try things out, at least for part of a run. Crystal has been pretty good to me and those runs are familiar. I get self conscious on Magoo and it can feel crowded where everything merges but it is pretty solid.
I look forward to more Indy locations at some point for more wide open runs. It’s like, “Oh…hello you, we meet again,” …this is why I fell in love with skiing! The swish. I also mostly can say, there are no bad days! At least I made it up to the mountain.

Over terraining: There is a balance there for sure and I know when I stretch too far, especially at the end of the day when my legs really should be done I am going to be in the way! I try to do the bigger runs almost first thing now so I can judge how well I did when I know I am at my peak. I am way better at skiing within the lines then too. My last run at Blackcomb I felt pretty strong and so frigging happy to be all the way up there and then I head down to the Blue Line and on both sides of this short but only just comfortably wide track I notice there are basically cliffs on both sides. And directly in front. (pictures attached) Not even trees which usually make me nervous! Then I thought, ack, I bit off more than I should have but that part ended up being pretty short, it opened up nicely and was crazy good. I liked Blackcomb for that; lots of area to push myself and improve but those areas were relatively short…and I likely got lucky!! Also, the earlier in the day, the better. The first couple of runs anywhere are always the most open in my experience.

Rolling Hills fans unite! I love that stretch right above where they load Rainier. The first time down that I thought I had bitten off too much but it was short enough that I was able to finish and feel like I had done something awesome! In front of me this lady goes down, then slides slowly on her back, head first. I asked if she was ok and she says, “Fine, just taking in the view.” She had this huge smile on her face.

I was on Magoo first or second chair on this excellent almost completely empty powder weekday and I could hardly make it down since powder is so much work for me. For those into the deep powder though…glorious. Next year when I know more, grow a foot and have legs of steel.

Attachments

• IMG_3854.jpeg
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 5

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel like overall night skiing at West has been the reliably best for me but will try the nugget next season. Central has usually been very crowded when I have been at night. WP always had enough space to try things out, at least for part of a run.
I will try West more next season then! I've only been once or twice. Which runs do you recommend for intermediates?

I look forward to more Indy locations at some point for more wide open runs. It’s like, “Oh…hello you, we meet again,” …this is why I fell in love with skiing! The swish. I also mostly can say, there are no bad days! At least I made it up to the mountain.
Have you been to Mission Ridge in Wenatchee? It was never as crowded as Crystal or Snoqualmie when I went. It has drier snow and is said to have more bluebird days though it was only bluebird one weekend that I went.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have the same issues down here as well for some reason and we cant blame Ikon or Epic passes as we dont have them. The larger more commercial ski areas are crazy busy esp at weekends and holidays. Even our local ski area which is small is madness on the weekends which is why I normally ski mid week.
Season passes are pretty cheap esp if you buy early which is a major contributor to the overall chaos esp in the Queenstown/Wanaka area. Cardrona and Treble Cone (both in Wanaka) have restructured their sale of passes both season and day passes to try and aleviate the issue somewhat, we'll see how it pans out.

I'm like @MissySki and try and ski in less crowded areas when its busy ie the steeps etc and hubby generally hits the backcountry which is easily accessible from our local hill.

I remember my first trip to Whistler when I freaked out coming back from the glacier along the Glacier Road ..... I swear there were more skiers on that road than the entire population of NZ :laughter:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I'd share a press release I just received from the National Ski Areas Association about skier visitation:

U.S. SKI INDUSTRY REPORTS RECORD VISITATION​

Preliminary end-of-season data indicates a strong post-pandemic rebound for snowsports​

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Preliminary numbers from the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) indicate record visitation at U.S. ski areas for the 2022-23 season, with a total of 64.7 million skier visits, a 6.6% increase over the previous season. A skier visit is recorded every time an individual uses a lift ticket or pass at a ski area. The number is preliminary as several ski areas have extended their seasons. NSAA will collect updated numbers as those ski areas close for winter operations.

NSAA has been tracking skier visits since the 1978-79 season; you can find historical visitation numbers here.

What the number means

Skier visits are a key performance indicator for the ski industry. Two consecutive seasons of record visitation signals that the U.S. ski industry is healthy, and that the demand for outdoor recreation is strong. Factors contributing to this record season include: a robust snow year in the Rockies and Pacific Southwest regions; growing options of season passes and frequency products; and an increased desire to get outside, especially among lapsed skiers who have returned to the slopes since the pandemic. The number of operating ski areas also jumped from 473 last season to 481 this season, another positive indicator. However, the growth in operating areas contributed only marginally to the overall increase.

Regional impacts

NSAA divides the country into six regions, with two regions having record skier visits. The Rocky Mountain region reported a record high number of skier visits for the second consecutive season, totaling 27.9 million. The Pacific Northwest region also finished with its best year on record, totaling 4.5 million. Other regions with increases in season-over-season skier visits were the Northeast and Pacific Southwest (3rd best year on record). Only two regions – the Southeast and Midwest – reported small decreases in skier visits compared to 2021-22.

Snowfall

Historically, fluctuations in skier visit numbers could be correlated with snowfall; more snow generally meant more skier visits. This season was no different, with record snow totals at western ski areas contributing to increased visitation frequency, despite weather-related travel challenges. Average snowfall at ski areas nationally totaled 224”, a 30% increase over the 10-year average of 173”. As a result, the average length of season was 116 days, an increase of six days over the previous season.

Capital investment

Capital investment by ski areas totaled $812.4 million in the 2022-23 season, a record high for the industry. The majority of capital expenditures was invested into lift infrastructure, with 63 new and 86 upgraded lifts installed at ski areas across the country. Last season, the average ski area invested nearly $26 per skier visit back into its operation, a significant increase over the previous three-season average of $15, especially given the increase in overall skier visits.

Season passes holding strong

For the fourth season in a row, season passes surpassed day tickets in share of skier visits. Season pass holders made up 50% of visits nationally, with standard day lift tickets claiming 33% of visits. The balance is claimed by frequency products, off-duty employees, complimentary products, etc .

Staffing

The ski industry is gradually recovering from last season’s staffing challenges, with only 60% of ski areas reporting being understaffed, down from 81% last season. The average number of positions left unfilled also decreased from last year’s high of 72 to an average of 39 positions this season. Average ski area wages increased 18% from the 2021-22 season, well outpacing the national average of 4.6%. Approximately half of all ski areas said they are planning to increase their workforce housing capacity.

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
I will try West more next season then! I've only been once or twice. Which runs do you recommend for intermediates?

Have you been to Mission Ridge in Wenatchee? It was never as crowded as Crystal or Snoqualmie when I went. It has drier snow and is said to have more bluebird days though it was only bluebird one weekend that I went.
It isn’t maybe as exciting and not real steep in mist places but Pacific Crest to the left: Dodge Ridge all the way over to Little Thunder are all one wide open space that just gets less steep. I can usually see a patch that is less criwded and head that way. I love wide ones for that. Off to the right can be bumpier and steeper but is lighted so that gives some challenge but isn’t too long. 360 Bowl and Freeriders (have not seen much of.) are to the names of the ones to the right.

I got to snowshoe up at Mission once so do look forward but have not had the pleasure yet!

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
It isn’t maybe as exciting and not real steep in mist places but Pacific Crest to the left: Dodge Ridge all the way over to Little Thunder are all one wide open space that just gets less steep. I can usually see a patch that is less criwded and head that way. I love wide ones for that. Off to the right can be bumpier and steeper but is lighted so that gives some challenge but isn’t too long. 360 Bowl and Freeriders (have not seen much of.) are to the names of the ones to the right.

I got to snowshoe up at Mission once so do look forward but have not had the pleasure yet!
Typos! Apparently “mist” now stands for “most” in my goofy typing hands. :smile:

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Maybe start a new thread on this? I can't offer any tips, but could probably use them too!! And howdy fellow Seattlelite!
I started a thread that got lots of good feedback on Etiquette and Ski Resort Personality. Good tips for skills too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna