• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New extra petite skier

shadoj

Angel Diva
@xxs_skier
Why not go for it? Learning to navigate in less-than ideal conditions will give you even better tools/technique when the snow gets good!

Learning isn't linear. Current learning speed on one task is no guarantee of future learning speed on another task. There's no competition, except with yourself. Seek out lessons to help you grow as a skier; enjoy the fact that your family is having fun, too. *You* won't stop other students from progressing... only they can stop themselves from progressing! Doing drills more slowly never hurts anyone -- speed can hide a lot of flaws.

You got this!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sort your boots first. Then the lessons. Not doing a lesson and not getting time on snow will hold you back more than the skis. After that, buy new skis (likely in a 140-something length, and at the very least with wood rather than foam core) because you'll probably be starting to outgrow your ones.

Jilly

Staff member
You're thinking of the Helley Hansen camp? That might not be a bad idea. It's more guided mileage, so it might be worth it.

@Christy, @kiki your input on the WB camp? You've been since we were there in 2013? (This is the new name for Roxy, North Face...)

Christy

Angel Diva
I've done the Whistler women's camp with its various names 2 or 3 times and it's always been great. But I don't think I've been since 2013, @Jilly. It used to be a terrific deal and great format. I'd say if it still looks good and fits your budget, I don't think there is a downside.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The demo tents are back at WB - there's one right by Roundhouse. So once you've gotten used to the different runs off Emerald Chair, you can lap it with different skis and get an idea of how different ones feel.
(I'll be there next week so I'll report back on what's available!!!)

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're thinking of the Helley Hansen camp? That might not be a bad idea. It's more guided mileage, so it might be worth it.
Just the local mountain near me. It's spring rates so it's pretty cheap.

I hear the Helley Hansen camps are great -- I don't know if I have the stamina to ski all day. Maybe for next season.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@xxs_skier
Why not go for it? Learning to navigate in less-than ideal conditions will give you even better tools/technique when the snow gets good!

Learning isn't linear. Current learning speed on one task is no guarantee of future learning speed on another task. There's no competition, except with yourself. Seek out lessons to help you grow as a skier; enjoy the fact that your family is having fun, too. *You* won't stop other students from progressing... only they can stop themselves from progressing! Doing drills more slowly never hurts anyone -- speed can hide a lot of flaws.

You got this!
I definitely feel you on the learning isn't linear! I felt like I skied better last year (and I only did it 3 times) than most of my skiing this year. Although the conditions have been pretty icy almost every time I've been up.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's always needed with me!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Totally agree that I'd still take a lesson on less than average conditions. I've done that, and it's always worthwhile. And I COMPLETELY agree you should never worry about holding someone else back in a group lesson. The lesson organizers should be grouping people by ability, and a good instructor should be able to find common ground and give everyone something to work on. Plus, anyone signing up for a group lesson knows that the lesson progresses at the pace of the group- sometimes that means waiting for someone. If they didn't want that they should sign up for a private lesson!

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The demo tents are back at WB - there's one right by Roundhouse. So once you've gotten used to the different runs off Emerald Chair, you can lap it with different skis and get an idea of how different ones feel.
(I'll be there next week so I'll report back on what's available!!!)
Ooh...are you demoing any skis? I still don't quite understand how demoing works. One of the rental demo packages I looked at in Whistler was $100 a day.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh...are you demoing any skis? I still don't quite understand how demoing works. One of the rental demo packages I looked at in Whistler was $100 a day.
There's "demo rentals" which is hiring the latest and greatest skis and they tend to be expensive. Sometimes you get the price of hire off the ski purchase if you buy from the same shop. You can generally choose exactly what you want within the shop's selection, and if the shop is on the skifield you can sometimes swap skis during the day.

Then there are demo tents which is where brands or shops show up to a ski field with a range of their latest and greatest skis to try for free, which you can take out for 2-3 runs before returning them to the tent. The disadvantage of the demo tent is that you can only try what they have available, so if someone has taken the ski you want to try you have to wait or come back later. They also sometimes don't have the shortest skis available as they tend to mount the mid range lengths that suit most people (usually for women that is lengths in the 150s and 160s)

kiki

Angel Diva
The WB ladies camps are awesome I’ve done them several times but not this year or last (attended March 2021). Main challenge is that you ski hard and long on day 1 and many people (including me) bail on day 2, and it’s hard to pace yourself on day 1 due to peer pressure, and the instructors seem to really want to stretch you. So great time and great quality instruction but be prepared that you might be paying for two days and only make 1

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The WB ladies camps are awesome I’ve done them several times but not this year or last (attended March 2021). Main challenge is that you ski hard and long on day 1 and many people (including me) bail on day 2, and it’s hard to pace yourself on day 1 due to peer pressure, and the instructors seem to really want to stretch you. So great time and great quality instruction but be prepared that you might be paying for two days and only make 1
Good to know. Tbh, I wasn't even sure I'd make it through the whole day. I'd like to try and plan for next year, hoping to find someone to go with.

I am glad that you do have the option to bail, it feels like it's less pressure to complete it.

Also glad to see someone else from Vancouver.

kiki

Angel Diva
Good to know. Tbh, I wasn't even sure I'd make it through the whole day. I'd like to try and plan for next year, hoping to find someone to go with.

I am glad that you do have the option to bail, it feels like it's less pressure to complete it.

Also glad to see someone else from Vancouver.
You could do the two mornings and stay for lunch, see how you are feeling…..
Happy to meet up one weekend, send me a PM if you like.

Jilly

Staff member
The 2X that I've been out, my friend bailed early on both days. She just wasn't in shape for the big mountain. Ontario skier, 400' and stop.

Even as a L2 CSIA member, I did learn a few new things. And added confidence in the trees.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot update: I got Lange RS 90 SC in a 21.5 and it's a MUCH better fit than the Nordica jr. racers. It feels like my foot is more held in place. I need to ski with it a few more times because I think it needs tweaking (numb pinky toe and then general toe numbess -- I also have a neuroma). My left ankle feels like there may be too much wiggle room, but it's hard to know what a proper fit feels like when you're so new.

It felt like I had much better control of my skis which made turning easier. I actually felt like I was getting the hang of it today. It also helped that the snow was more slushy than icy so I wasn't skidding as much.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
An update on a very old thread: my husband and I took a private lesson as I wanted to get one in before our trip to Whistler. My husband was very fearful of the greens there because the slope is steeper than what we're used to.

Well during our lesson, he ended up taking us on most of the blues which we've never done before. They were steep, but we all made it down fine. After several runs we both have complete confidence that we can do any green run on Whistler. My husband was a total fan of getting the lesson. He was resistant as he thought he should get more practice in before getting a lesson.

Now I'm trying to convince him to try demo skis at the booth in Whistler so he can at least compare them to his entry level ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna