• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New extra petite skier

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got to see Barry in Whistler and straight away he said there wasn't much that he could do for me. He said people with tiny feet like mine (215) are his toughest customers because we're so hard to fit. :cry:

The Langes that I have isn't a true 215, but he said I was lucky to even find that size. He suggested a Dalbello racing boot that comes in 215 and has a flex of 75 that might fit better around my ankles. So I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Despite the bad news (which I kind of expected anyway), he is going to add some footbeds and some padding and cut a slit in the liner for my bunion. He's also going to change the buckle so it's a bit tighter and won't have to crank it down ad much. He didn't want to do any shell work as I haven't fully broken in the boots yet.

Hopefully these adjustments will help. I was pretty impressed that he was honest and didn't try to sell me on anything that he didn't think I needed.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
There's a group 2 day lesson I'm looking at, but it's end of March and here that could mean slushy snow and a lot of rain. What's holding me back from group lessons is that I'm pretty sure I would be the one holding my group back from progressing. Even the private lesson I did with my husband, he was catching on faster than I was. It was quite humbling that I didn't even make it onto the magic carpet on my first lesson!
Don’t let the fear of holding others back stop you! It’s the ski school’s job to place you in a correct group, even if it is a group of 1!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I feel like level 3 is too generous for me. I need like a 2+.

My daughter did snow School at Whistler and they had a range within the level: 4, 4 hard, 4 star. Not sure if it gets that granular with lower levels. She would be a spicy 4 on this scale!
So will you be signing up for the clinic?! Sounds like a great way to advance your skills and we can meet up with you at the aprés event!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen weekend clinics, including at Whistler, wind up having 1:1 student ratios for some levels, so in that sense, you're not holding up anyone and also getting a steal on the price of the instruction. It's not unusual to be self-conscious in that setting, but gosh, what an amazing experience!

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So will you be signing up for the clinic?! Sounds like a great way to advance your skills and we can meet up with you at the aprés event!
Next season for sure! It can be a family/clinic for me trip. I hate driving so I don't ever see myself getting their on my own.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
.... The first lesson didn't go so well where I didn't even make it onto the magic carpet because my snow plow stop wasn't fast enough.....
This can easily be a result of rental boots that are too big.

Rental boots (or purchased boots) can be too wide for the foot, too wide in the cuff for the lower leg, and too tall inside the foot area. Also they can be too long.

When these size issues are present, the boots can't be buckled tight enough for the skier's feet and lower legs to control the edging. You tilt the feet and the lower legs to edge the skis, but if you tilt your foot and leg but the boot stays flat because there's too much room in that boot, then the skis stay flat.

A wedge with flat skis won't offer enough grip to stop a skier.

I haven't read the entire thread so I may be repeating what others have said. The important point is that how the boots fit determine how much control the skier has over the skis. Not progressing in skill can easily be caused by bad boot fit and resulting lack of precision control over what the skis are doing.

Skis are aftermarket attachments for boots. Boot fit is waaay more important than ski choice.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This can easily be a result of rental boots that are too big.

Rental boots (or purchased boots) can be too wide for the foot, too wide in the cuff for the lower leg, and too tall inside the foot area. Also they can be too long.

When these size issues are present, the boots can't be buckled tight enough for the skier's feet and lower legs to control the edging. You tilt the feet and the lower legs to edge the skis, but if you tilt your foot and leg but the boot stays flat because there's too much room in that boot, then the skis stay flat.

A wedge with flat skis won't offer enough grip to stop a skier.

I haven't read the entire thread so I may be repeating what others have said. The important point is that how the boots fit determine how much control the skier has over the skis. Not progressing in skill can easily be caused by bad boot fit and resulting lack of precision control over what the skis are doing.

Skis are aftermarket attachments for boots. Boot fit is waaay more important than ski choice.
Yes, I have very small feet (21.5) and the smallest boot they had was a 22.5. I haven't attempted to try stopping hard in a wedge position with my new boots as there hasn't been a need for me to do that. I doubt my knees would like that anyway.

100% agree that not progressing can be caused by bad boot fit. Once I had a proper boot fit (well, I guess as good as it's going to get for my small feet), my skiing improved instantly and that's when I really started enjoying the sport more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna