• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My Ski Season is Over

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well...saw the orthopedic today. Not good...seems I broke my humerus in multiple places, my shoulder, tore my rotator cuff...basically, you name something I could have done to my shoulder, and I did it. My surgery is tomorrow...ah well...I'm very determined to work my butt off in PT. Doc is a little concerned I'll get frozen shoulder since I already had it in this shoulder two years ago...NOT ON MY WATCH!!! Take THAT injury! :fencing:
Oh boy......well....at least you're not having to wait for the surgery - charge on in there and git'er done---and think good thoughts. As I'm sure you already know, the bulk of the recovery is yours in re pt, which will begin extremely quickly post-surgery. As someone who endured frozen shoulder (with no precipitating injury) a few years ago, I can surely attest to the great need to avoid a recurrence (boy, that stunk). But pt will be pretty relentless.

PLEASE somehow keep us updated, even if typing one-handed??
GOOD LUCK. This is but one ski season. You have a higher purpose at the moment.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, that really stinks! But your determination is admirable! I think more than half the battle is the one that goes on between your ears. There'll be many more ski seasons to come. The most important thing is to do whatever it takes to heal.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Wishing you the best of luck and the speediest of recoveries. :hug:

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are in my prayers this morning. Be well. Heal fast. Be positive.

AQ

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking of you, hoping surgery and all goes well. Love your attitude, keep up the fight!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you certain your husband isn't a polygamist who is also married to me?!

LOL ... my husband had knee surgery the morning of our famous blizzard in '03; he was one of the last patients before they canceled all but the emergency procedures.

So yes, I was left with shoveling 43" of snow (or whatever it was). Actually, the worst part wasn't the shoveling, but the continual need to knock snow off all the trees in the yard in efforts to save them from breaking.

I'll have to remember your husband's line.
The real story here is this:
We run an excavating company. In the winter, we snow plow several commercial accounts, some of which require sidewalk shoveling. I volunteered for that task 12 years ago, in the interest of staying in shape during the winter. I get up at 3 AM to shovel sidewalks(with the help of a 5 hp and 8 hp snow blower). It usually takes me 4-5 hrs each morning we need to plow.
I absolutely love it! Its very peaceful at 3 AM, with the fresh snow and solitude.
Not to mention that we take off to ski when we're done plowing and take advantage of slopes with fresh snow.
This may explain some of the time stamps on my posts. :D

Well...saw the orthopedic today. Not good...seems I broke my humerus in multiple places, my shoulder, tore my rotator cuff...basically, you name something I could have done to my shoulder, and I did it. My surgery is tomorrow...ah well...I'm very determined to work my butt off in PT. Doc is a little concerned I'll get frozen shoulder since I already had it in this shoulder two years ago...NOT ON MY WATCH!!! Take THAT injury! :fencing:

Ski Babe, you Rock! You are going to heal fast and be back at it sooner than you think. I can tell by your "NOT ON MY WATCH!!!" Attitude!!
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

If you need someone to watch your skis, and take really good care of them, just let us know. :ski2:

NannyMin

Banned

Oh, man TSB! :doh: I'm hoping your surgery went smoothly and you are already on your way towards recovery.

Thinking of you...

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
TSB! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the WARM northeast. Seriously, its hard to think about skiing when its 60 degrees and the daffodils are poking through and snowdrops look like they are about to bloom! We're thinking of you - hope the surgery went well. *HUGS*

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Hoping the surgery went outstandingly well. Looking forward to the good word. . .

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the UP side -- at least it's a "spectacular fall" story. DH was embarrassed and totally hated to tell the story about his season-ender a few years ago, when he broke his hand simply tipping over while "strolling along" on a cat track...

Kano

Too funny! One of the first thing I informed DH of was I would not be doing any more shoveling or snow blowing for the rest of the winter. He looked at me and kind of shrugged in one of those, "yeah, you're right" ways. (We have a really long driveway, and it tends to drift a lot. Considering how much snow we're getting this year--broke records for both December and January--he's got his work cut out for him.)

One other silver lining...DH returned my season pass yesterday, and because I also had a doctor's note, they refunded (via a gift card which I can use towards next year's pass) just over half the cost of my pass ($503). :thumbsup:

Boy, do I know this injury! It's identical to the one that DH had the day after Thanksgiving--except he only fractured his humerus in one place, not three.

They aren't kidding about the six months, either. He just got rid of the sling this weekend (six weeks after surgery), and boy does it hurt. OTOH, my sister-in-law had a similar injury, only she tripped and fell at her daughter's house--at least you and DH were having fun when you did it!

Keep up with your post-surgery exercises. The doc is concerned about DH because it appears there's a permanent divot in the bone. But he's been very diligent about his exercises--and his PT says the most gains are made in this first six weeks after surgery. After that, it becomes incremental.

He also had rotator cuff issues as well--that's pretty common, from what his orthopedist said.

Good luck!
Alright, I've been seeing "DH" again and again and I finally realized this was many different guys, not just one guy that a lot of people knew. What does "DH" stand for? Diva Husband? Darling Husband?

To the OP, here's to a successful surgery and a FAST MINIMAL PAIN recovery!!!!!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alright, I've been seeing "DH" again and again and I finally realized this was many different guys, not just one guy that a lot of people knew. What does "DH" stand for? Diva Husband? Darling Husband?

Dear Husband, and DS is dear son, DD is dear daughter etc, but my mind always goes to first to designated hitter (I'm an AL fan) and to downhill.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^^Ditto what SueNJ said. We're all thinking of you and awaiting word - let us know, even if "by proxy."

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm home. The surgery went well, but this is far from a slam dunk as far as healing is concerned. As expected, they had to put a plate in (pins wouldn't work because the humerus was broken in too many places). I'm very swollen, but my spirits are good...LOVE those drugs...so now, it's on to PT.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
SO glad you checked in, TSB. Wishing you speedy, successful healing, no pain, and a great outcome.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just remember that this too will pass. I was in your shoes 2 yrs. ago with a torn mcl and acl. I had surgery at the end of Feb and biked that summer and skied the following winter. It's hard to believe that 2 years have already gone by.

Good luck and lots of healing butterflies for you!

Kathi

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully healing will get a bit easier. We're sending a ridiculous amount of vibes your way :smile: What painkillers are they giving you? I've been perscribed a bunch of heavy hitters post accident, you'd be surprised by how many non druggies casually ask if you can spare a pill or two! Rest up, heal up fast, and enjoy not shoveling :p

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully healing will get a bit easier. We're sending a ridiculous amount of vibes your way :smile: What painkillers are they giving you? I've been perscribed a bunch of heavy hitters post accident, you'd be surprised by how many non druggies casually ask if you can spare a pill or two! Rest up, heal up fast, and enjoy not shoveling :p

Thanks for all the good vibes. They're much appreciated!

Getting the meds right wasn't easy...post-surgery the block the anesthesiologist gave me wore off really quickly, and morphine wasn't working. After two hours of excruciating pain, the nurse told me she had put enough morphine in me to put out an elephant and they needed to switch the meds. So, thet switched me to Dilaudid. That seems to work the best...even better than Percocet. And nobody is getting their hands on any of them!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Get well wishes!

TSB, we have all been thinking about you. Sounds like it was a pretty major fix-up. Now begins the healing, then the pt and re-strengthening. Amazed that you've had the focus to check in---but so glad you did. Please keep us posted when you can...
:grouphug:

ride_ski

Angel Diva
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Thanks for keeping us updated...Good luck with the PT. You have the right attitude and lots of support here (if you need it)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna