• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MLK '19 Storm in Vermont

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My SO and and another couple are going to be ensconced in a B&B near Cardigan Mountain in New Hampshire (sorry, not VT). We opted to stay further south due to the cold, but it now looks cold everywhere. We'll be skiing backcountry on Sunday, so will be in the trees and pretty protected. Monday we had considered Ragged (GREAT glades), but may opt for another BC day if it's really cold. Can't wait!!

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yay for the snow but yikes for the temps and the winds! And the crowds!

We were also wondering about how early to get to the airport for aspen. @MissySki I would think for a 6am flight you wouldn’t need to be there 3 hours but I guess better safe than sorry. We also have tsa-pre but may need to rethink our airport arrival too, just in case! Better to wait for your scheduled flight than to wait standby if you miss it!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not looking forward to what the security lines will be like next weekend to fly out of Boston at 6am for Diva West. Would be great if the settled things before then.. I don't even know what time will be reasonable to head there at this point and whether TSA pre-check will matter or be up and running (I doubt it if understaffed??).
I flew out of Logan on Thursday on a 6 am flight. At least at 4:30 there was no line at all. They seemed as fully staffed as usual. But who knows how that will change day by day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's good to know! Though Saturday is probably a busier travel day, hopefully the normal couple of hours will work rather than practically spending the night in the airport!

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I"m with you. ^^^ I'll ski/teach tomorrow I have privates who already booked me. I hope I can get home before it gets too bad out Sat Pm. My Mt already is on the fence whether to open Sunday in the storm or not. He doesn't want to lure people out on the roads w/high winds, maybe zero visibility combined w/sub zero and usually it's the season pass hard cores that show up so no ticket sales.
At least the snow should be Light and fluffy (we hope) Monday I'm on the schedule but saw a high of Minus 10!! OMG hard to teach a lesson in that! But I'm hoping Mother Nature is back on track and we have no more thaws til spring. make this snow last! Stay safe everyone and hope we all get to enjoy some light fluffy powder

OMG we’re the season pass hard core types! We totally don’t mind skiing in the super cold. We just throw on another base layer. It usually means shorter lines. Especially if ther is fresh snow instead of ice it’s fine with us!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not to hijack thread but I have an international flight Wednesday.. Shoot wonder how early I need to get to San Jose airport? Should be better than SFO.

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ll be heading up to upstate ny tomorrow (Belleayre and or Windham) for my first ski weekend this season. First chance to go this season, so going to go give it a try. Staying five minutes from Belleayre, so if things get sketchy shouldn’t be too bad getting back to the Airbnb. Super excited to get out there, but a bit bummed that it’s going to be a bit iffy.

newboots

Angel Diva
I won't be in VT, but in ME figure same stuff going on. Yes, it'll be cold and windy.. BUT I actually am thinking crowds won't be bad BECAUSE of the cold and wind and snow. I've skied many really cold MLK weekends and am always amazed in those cases how many people stay inside. Also a lot of snow can make the "holiday skiers" have many problems as well. We'll see how it goes!

According to my local ski shop, skiers have been pouring in nonstop since Wednesday - whether they ski in the mountain or drink in the lodge - who knows? I have a terrible time in deep snow, frustrating!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It's pretty crowded here in the Ludlow area. I did my shopping earlier in the week, but at the last minute I realized there was something I HAD TO HAVE, so I ventured into Shaw's at 4:30 PM yesterday afternoon. Oh. My. God. The holiday/weekend crowd, combined with the impending storm = an absolute mob scene. I'm sure the shelves are stripped bare by now.

BTW: right now it's overcast and 16°. The snow is supposed to start around 1:30.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH drove in to NY from Massachusetts yesterday. There are warning signs about the impending storm all along the Mass Pike into NY.

They will be closing the interstate highways to buses and tractor trailers in NY starting at 3 PM Saturday. https://511ny.org/#:Alerts

For what it's worth, I dropped friends off at Boston Logan Terminal C last Wednesday around 4:00 PM for an international flight. They told me that the lines through security went quickly. Makes me wonder what is media hype and what is reality.

elemmac

Angel Diva
my weather guru has already floated the expectation that there may be another wallop next weekend too. He's been saying for the last month that he thinks this is going to shape up like the winter of 14/15.

Oh my, we can only hope for another winter like that! I heard the same about a late week or weekend storm...I’m gonna need way more vacation time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just as long as it doesn't interfere with my drive to Boston on Friday and my flight out to Snowmass on Saturday! Because, yeah, it's all about me! :rolleyes:

BTW, last year I was snowed in at an airport motel prior to my flight for Diva West. I'd prefer not to have to go through that again.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Weather guru now says that there's an unexpected warm air mass that is going to mean less snow, more ice. He's not sure how far up into VT that happens. :( On the other hand, I kind of wanted wet snow and not blower pow anyway. It's got more legs to it, and this winter has been pretty shabby so far with natural snow.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to my local ski shop, skiers have been pouring in nonstop since Wednesday - whether they ski in the mountain or drink in the lodge - who knows? I have a terrible time in deep snow, frustrating!

I dropped off my skis for a tune, forgetting of course the weekend! I first asked it they wanted me to wait until next week (no, since I don't need them until Monday night or Tuesday morning) and then I offered to put my own name on the skis for the tune so the poor man could keep going on the pile ahead of mine!

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The snow has started. Predicting up to 23”. Drinking Irish coffee in front of the fireplace in a house just down the road from the mountain entrance. Plows keep coming by, so as long as we can get out of the driveway we won’t be snowed in. The family we are sharing our house with has an amazing dinner in the oven. Snow report for tomorrow calls for 96% of the mountain to be open. In short, bliss.

Jilly

Staff member
Snow started here, just after lunch. Light, but windy. And COLD!! I have the fireplace going, which is new to me!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Accumulated snow on my walk here in south central VT, as of 7:20 AM. It started around 4:30 PM yesterday, and it's supposed to go all day.

DxWrcsxX0AAr3Mw.jpg

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Accumulated snow on my walk here in south central VT, as of 7:20 AM. It started around 4:30 PM yesterday, and it's supposed to go all day.

View attachment 10024
Thank you! If you hadn’t posted I was going to ask. We got maybe two or 3 inches in Rhode Island and it turned to rain overnight. It is just ugly sloppy stuff here. And due to go into the deep-freeze tomorrow. I plan to drive back north after I teach in the morning. See you in the lodge!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you! If you hadn’t posted I was going to ask. We got maybe two or 3 inches in Rhode Island and it turned to rain overnight. It is just ugly sloppy stuff here. And due to go into the deep-freeze tomorrow. I plan to drive back north after I teach in the morning. See you in the lodge!

It's still dumping, Abbi, so who knows what the final total will be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna