• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MLK '19 Storm in Vermont

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Who's ready for the storm? Right now I'm hearing anywhere from 19" to 3' of snow plus sub-zero temps plus high winds. Combine this with a holiday weekend and you have general craziness. Ordinarily I'd be out there (powder day!), but with the cold temps and winds, I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of lift holds. And lift holds plus crazy crowds plus below zero temps = I'm not sure what to do right now. I guess just wait and see.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I"m with you. ^^^ I'll ski/teach tomorrow I have privates who already booked me. I hope I can get home before it gets too bad out Sat Pm. My Mt already is on the fence whether to open Sunday in the storm or not. He doesn't want to lure people out on the roads w/high winds, maybe zero visibility combined w/sub zero and usually it's the season pass hard cores that show up so no ticket sales.
At least the snow should be Light and fluffy (we hope) Monday I'm on the schedule but saw a high of Minus 10!! OMG hard to teach a lesson in that! But I'm hoping Mother Nature is back on track and we have no more thaws til spring. make this snow last! Stay safe everyone and hope we all get to enjoy some light fluffy powder

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m expecting a report from all of you! I am driving home Saturday morning to avoid crowds and get something done on my car. I plan to drive back up Monday morning. My fingers are crossed for everyone that there are no power outages to go with this craziness.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I won't be in VT, but in ME figure same stuff going on. Yes, it'll be cold and windy.. BUT I actually am thinking crowds won't be bad BECAUSE of the cold and wind and snow. I've skied many really cold MLK weekends and am always amazed in those cases how many people stay inside. Also a lot of snow can make the "holiday skiers" have many problems as well. We'll see how it goes!

Jilly

Staff member
We're not getting as much snow, but yes to the cold. I'm staying home this weekend.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I booked a trip to VT for the weekend, but between work obligations and the storm, thought it wouldn’t be worth trying to fly anywhere in the Northeast. Thank goodness for no change fees!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I booked a trip to VT for the weekend, but between work obligations and the storm, thought it wouldn’t be worth trying to fly anywhere in the Northeast. Thank goodness for no change fees!

Yikes, yeah probably lots of flight cancellations coming.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, I was just checking CNN to see the latest on your government soap opera....lots of cancellations coming. We're only expecting 6" here north of Lake Ontario.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm not looking forward to what the security lines will be like next weekend to fly out of Boston at 6am for Diva West. Would be great if the settled things before then.. I don't even know what time will be reasonable to head there at this point and whether TSA pre-check will matter or be up and running (I doubt it if understaffed??).

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's me January 1st Last year. I go 'indoors on sub zero days and take more breaks. Doubt I'll ski Sunday but Monday I hope I can!!

@MissySki I'm thinking same thing. My flight is 550am!! Please end the shut down!!

Attachments

• jan 1 2018 cold - Copy.jpg
    jan 1 2018 cold - Copy.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm not looking forward to what the security lines will be like next weekend to fly out of Boston at 6am for Diva West. Would be great if the settled things before then.. I don't even know what time will be reasonable to head there at this point and whether TSA pre-check will matter or be up and running (I doubt it if understaffed??).

I have been thinking about that as well! I think it will be a crazy early exit. Logan Express will be running, just hoping we don't feel like we need to be on the 2:15am :eek:

SAT-SUN
Early Bird Trips – 2:15 a.m., 3:15 a.m., 4:00 a.m., 4:30 a.m. & 5:30 a.m.
Every Hour – 6:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Every Half Hour - 12:00 noon – 11:00 p.m.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I recall seeing on the national news that recommendations are for THREE HOURS prior to departure at larger airports in order to be accommodated by reduced TSA staff. :eek:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Re: the pending storm -- it's supposed to start late Saturday evening in Maine. I have no doubt that DS will make the trip to Sugarloaf (45 mi). He has a monster truck in which to do it. DH is claiming he'll stay local, has a pass at a smaller ("only" 1200 ft vertical) regional ski area here.

I'm on the DL again, so I'll sit this one out. Probably will be relegated to driveway clearing. That's okay. It's "only" 150 feet long. :doh:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Re: the pending storm -- it's supposed to start late Saturday evening in Maine. I have no doubt that DS will make the trip to Sugarloaf (45 mi). He has a monster truck in which to do it. DH is claiming he'll stay local, has a pass at a smaller ("only" 1200 ft vertical) regional ski area here.

I'm on the DL again, so I'll sit this one out. Probably will be relegated to driveway clearing. That's okay. It's "only" 150 feet long. :doh:

It's looking like higher amounts overnight and then still good amounts Sunday for refills. I so so hope the wind cooperates at least for awhile haha

I feel your pain on the driveway, mine is long and steep as well. Happily giving up snow clearing duty to a plow for this one! Yesterday I had one conpany quote an absolute obscene price for snow removal, so we then called our landscapers who do snow removal as well and the price was almost 1/3 of the other oerson because we are already customers. Thank goodness, still not cheap but I almost choked when I received the first quote because it was so much more than I'd ever pay for that.

Last edited:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
...still not cheap but I almost choked (emphasis added) when I received the first quote because it was so much more than I'd ever pay for that.
Indeed. This is why we're still doing it ourselves, although it's probably cheaper in Maine (all things relative?). And that might be the primary difference between urban MA and rural ME: I am the landscaper (2 acres), I am the snow remover (will have help from the men with this one). I am the interior and exterior painter. (haha, "I am the one who knocks")

However, I am retired and therefore have the time. But good grief, I'm wickedly close to 70 (:faint:). How much longer to keep this up???????

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been really following things. Are the TSA issues related to people not showing up for work? TSA should still be operating fully staffed, granted they're not getting paid, which is what I think has led to people not showing up for work (people looking for work elsewhere so they can pay their bills). Either way, I'll be really shocked if the shutdown ends anytime soon. Hope it doesn't cause too many travel issues for you all.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I haven't been really following things. Are the TSA issues related to people not showing up for work? TSA should still be operating fully staffed, granted they're not getting paid, which is what I think has led to people not showing up for work (people looking for work elsewhere so they can pay their bills). Either way, I'll be really shocked if the shutdown ends anytime soon. Hope it doesn't cause too many travel issues for you all.

Yeah there have been some airports that have had to shut down an entire terminal and transport people around due to not enough staff for security checkpoints. Others reporting cery very long waits with incredibly long lines. I believe the worst has been Atlanta and Miami maybe? I haven't heard of Logan issues in particular to that extreme, but yeah I don't think you can count on everyone showing up. I don't blame them.

So probably will heed the 3 ish hours early thing to be safe.. usually I zoom around with TSA pre-check, especially so early, but don't want to count on that this time. Plus I often try and travel without checking bags when for work etc. which makes things quicker, but no luck there this time either.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My weather guru says he thinks it's going to be low-moisture powder, which I'm not at all thrilled about. Yeah, heavy wet snow is harder to shovel and stuff...but it's also going to be able to resist the winds better than light fluffy pow. Right now, we really need a good solid fresh coating everywhere...that sticks to the runs and doesn't just blow right off into the trees or out to the ocean.

On the up-side, the flash freeze that my guy is predicting won't make whatever powder is left unskiable until it all gets groomed. So assuming that there's something left of this after the wind sandblasts the mountain, it should be pretty decent.

I was originally planning to ski on Monday, but it sounds like wind-holds, black ice, and lord knows what else on the roads. We thought about backing it up into Sunday, but holiday crowds + powder freaks + super poor visibility doesn't sound like a great mix to me. There's also the matter of getting to the mountain, and Sunday doesn't look like a good time to be driving anywhere.

I got spoiled last year when we had all those mega-dumps that came without the screaming wind.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

my weather guru has already floated the expectation that there may be another wallop next weekend too. He's been saying for the last month that he thinks this is going to shape up like the winter of 14/15.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly