• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MLK '19 Storm in Vermont

Tvan

Angel Diva
It’s turned to slop here in CT. Maybe 4 inches of snow, then sleet and now rain. Hope it keeps dumping in VT and hope everybody’s power stays on!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's still dumping, Abbi, so who knows what the final total will be.

I'll find out tomorrow in the deep freeze. At least there was only one car in the lot so the snow should be decently plowed by then. I'm hoping they check out early!

Jilly

Staff member
The plow guys have been here multiple times to clear our parking lot. Last trip they had the snowblower out to clear the paths to the garages. They cleared off my truck! It's pretty much stop snowing, but the wind!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
The plow guys have been here multiple times to clear our parking lot. Last trip they had the snowblower out to clear the paths to the garages. They cleared off my truck! It's pretty much stop snowing, but the wind!!

We got pretty much no wind today, looks like tomorrow could be the windy day here.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It really started blowing here in VT this afternoon -- so much so that from time to time it was a complete white-out. Tomorrow is supposed to be brutal: high winds and below zero temps. My guess is there's going to be a lot of lift holds.

newboots

Angel Diva
It seems to have stopped for now. It’s 2 F. now where I live. We got more than a foot. I can’t go to Killington tomorrow but I’m going to try the powder in my back yard!

newboots

Angel Diva
Welcome, @Marymaryb ! Glad to have you here! Are you up at okefor the weekend or are you local?

:welcome:

MissySki

Angel Diva
It really started blowing here in VT this afternoon -- so much so that from time to time it was a complete white-out. Tomorrow is supposed to be brutal: high winds and below zero temps. My guess is there's going to be a lot of lift holds.

Agreed. Sunday River put "anticipating wind" in their afternoon update of the snow report today and to check in the morning for potential hold information. Given that, how cold it's going to be, and how great yesterday and today already were.. I've decided to sleep in tomorrow, grab breakfast, and then head home at a reasonable time to pick up the pup and prepare for the short week. Soooo much to do before Flying out to Diva West in less than a week!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MINUS 13. 7F here this AM.. and I"m on the lesson schedule. doubtful we can teach in this maybe 10 min out 15 in? Stay safe everyone.

Jilly

Staff member
All buses cancelled in the whole of eastern Ontario. Wind chill is -34C. Too cold for anything!!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got to Ludlow an hour ago. CRAZY cold and windy. And of course, the people who rented upstairs over the weekend (might be coming back; pair of boots still by that door) did NOT move their monster SUV so there is a large area not plowed. GRRRRRRRR.

And in the totally obnoxious observations category: there might be rain on Thursday. WTH, Mother Nature!!!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I braved the temps and I went skiing today. I was on the lesson roster and the 'boss' text us all we should be there, he was. so I went. One problem with snow that is MINUS 14F there is no wax and it is very very sticky. Since I was there (there were no lessons, very few people just the die hards) When I went out I did have everything on, dermatone on my face and pulled my turtle fur up to my googles so no skin showing no air leaks. My core, feet, hands everything was warm. with the pitch the skiing was nice. The snow was glorious soft packed powder, like out west.. It was really perfect carving snow.

I learned I really didn't miss anything yesterday the nearly 2ft of snow was very thick and got heavy even the big guys on big fatties found it very difficult to ski and didn't last long. Today though it was the chair ride that finally won, I forgot my fanny flap and my butt got too cold.

@Abbi I agree!! WTH!! I wish Mother nature could take some prozac (if that's what fixes moods) I do not want Rain after all this beautiful snow!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Surprisingly, Sugarloaf only had 2 (upper) lifts on wind hold today (King Pine and Timberline).

I think everything west of Barker at Sunday River was on wind hold, and White Heat quad is on maintenance shutdown. :frown:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Surprisingly, Sugarloaf only had 2 (upper) lifts on wind hold today (King Pine and Timberline).

I think everything west of Barker at Sunday River was on wind hold, and White Heat quad is on maintenance shutdown. :frown:

Yeah, there was a lot on hold today at SR, glad I wasn't planning on skiing. I believe Locke and the chondola were open by the time I was checking out around 11:30 as well, I heard someone asking about the report at the front desk. It was really cold and windy, it was nice to enjoy a bit of extra sleep and a lazy breakfast at Camp before heading home. I must say, I almost never stay on mountain and I think the Summit is really overpriced for the actual outdated rooms, but location/ski check/hot tub with slope view/free valet where they even dig out and clean off your car in frigid temps/included breakfast/overall convenience was all really worth it!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Summit is really overpriced for the actual outdated rooms,
Boston Ski and Sports club does ski weekends at the Summit and they get a reasonable group rate, including lift ticket. I don't know how much they discount if you don't need the lift ticket.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everything was on hold all day Monday at Mt. Snow, and most of it was still on hold Tuesday morning. That blasted wind scoured the heck out of the mountain, too. :( Ruined our nice chalky powder from that storm. All the rises were icy as heck, and the soft stuff was all piled up at the bottom of the drops. Mountain was reporting powder/machine groomed, which was accurate. Machine groomed for the top of the drops, and powder for the bottom.

I got really spoiled last spring when we had all those huge snow dumps that WEREN'T accompanied by winds that could peel your skin off and slice through your eyeballs. Very much wanting to have that again!!

And what I do NOT, NOT, NOT want is a bunch of NFP on Wed/Thurs when it's 50 blasted degrees. My weather guru thinks the NFP will be much worse south of Rt 2 in Mass, so I'm hoping that the existing snowpack keeps the mountain cold, and that there's not a lot of NFP, so that the skiing on Friday will be, well, it'll be on ice, no real question about that, but I'm holding out for skiable ice at least.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Suicide Six closed at noon on Monday; risk of exposure too high from riding on lifts.
It was -13 when I pulled into work this morning, but today was gorgeous: bright sun and very little wind. Tomorrow: 35 and rain. :frown:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna