• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

Jenny

Angel Diva
I get to graduate from the crutches already! I'll probably carry them for a couple more days, but I figure if I stop putting any weight on my hands for a day or so, and then switch to one crutch for another couple and then maybe I can be off them by the weekend. Or maybe just practice a little bit on the short trips around the office - like from desk to copier. Still have to wear the boot, though, even to bed.

Hopefully will start PT next week - it was still a little too swollen for him to want to start it this week.

Still gonna request the wheelchair for the airport, and I’ll bring the crutches with me as a reminder not to be stupid. After all, I don't know what kind of uneven ground I might be dealing with.

I can also do leg stretches without having to worry whether I’m displacing something down there, and I can go in the hot tub.

Things are progressing well!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Jenny you should definitely get mobility assistance. Last year on British Airways I went on the website and pulled up my info and was able to request mobility assistance. It worked very well and I was able to go through security with the airline crew and was whisked to the plane and up a ramp like thing.

newboots

Angel Diva
Congratulations! Just one thought popped into my mind:

Your back muscles are probably strong, but I had a bad time using just one crutch. My back doesn't need any help getting bent out of shape.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Congratulations! Just one thought popped into my mind:

Your back muscles are probably strong, but I had a bad time using just one crutch. My back doesn't need any help getting bent out of shape.
I'll let you know how it goes - hadn’t thought about back muscles at all.

Jenny

Angel Diva
One crutch is soooo much easier than two! I'm kind of just carrying it around with me as a reminder to others, and also to myself, so that I remember to turn all the way around before taking off, for example, instead of pivoting on that foot. One thing I am going to be more careful of as well is making sure that I don't repeat the great Floor Mat Incident of April 4th, in which our heroine accidentally steps on the edge of the overlapping floor mats in the office and ever so very, very slightly tips her foot the wrong direction. Make sure the surface is totally FLAT before putting weight on the booted foot!

newboots

Angel Diva
@Jenny - So glad it's working for you!

Floor mats, scatter rugs, sidewalks, unpaved roads, uneven pavement. The world is full of snow snakes.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny - So glad it's working for you!

Floor mats, scatter rugs, sidewalks, unpaved roads, uneven pavement. The world is full of snow snakes.
So many things you don't notice until all of a sudden you have to.

Thinking ahead - just walking around the yard/garden should be interesting this year. Grass and mulch aren't really known for their even footing - unless it's a green at the Master's, I suppose!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Good doctor's visit today! I still have to wear the boot for one more week, but only during the daytime when I’m walking around. I can take it off to sleep, and substitute the small brace I bought the day of the fall, instead.

When in Banff next week I can ditch the boot entirely, and wear the new hiking boots or snow boots I bought Saturday - both go over the ankle and are stiff/supportive, so whichever one fits the best with the brace on will be the winner. I'm planning to wear the boot in the airport, though, and carry at least one of the crutches, just so people will give me a wide berth. And it probably can’t hurt to have a crutch in Banff, either, in case I get tired. At last check, the webcams didn't show any snow on the sidewalks, which at least makes the footing more consistent.

And my first PT appointment is this Thursday, so I’ll have exercises I can do while the others are skiing next week.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that a tiny, tiny part of me wanted him to say I could try skiing if I felt like it, but he didn't. And I’m truly glad, because then I’d have had to decide whether it made sense or not. He did say, though, if it had been a sprain, I’d probably have gotten a cautious ok.

At any rate, I’m happy. Four weeks in the boot, only two real weeks on crutches, and still making progress.

Last edited:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s great @Jenny! It’s always bad to get injured but it sounds like you’re making a great recovery and you’ll be fit on time for next season. Do wear the boot and bring the crutch to the airport. Even if you don’t really need them, people are so stressed in airports, it’s good to have a visible reason for why you’re walking slowly!

Jenny

Angel Diva
That’s great @Jenny! Even if you don’t really need them, people are so stressed in airports, it’s good to have a visible reason for why you’re walking slowly!
Exactly!

And I counted wrong, it's only three weeks in the boot - just feels like more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga