• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

Jenny

Angel Diva
Random thoughts:

Crutches are torture. I'd tell anybody anything.

I should stay here and not go home. Everything I need is just a few crutch steps or hops away. It will not be a conveniently located at home. Bathroom much further from couch! Going to look into getting a knee scooter once I get home.

Why does my foot hurt more when it's elevated than when it's not? That doesn't seem normal.

24 hours into air cast - future looks dim . . .:injured:

newboots

Angel Diva
Aww, Jenny. It's awful. I had a very bad sprain once and I had to get my daughter to come to my house and do the laundry, buy the groceries, cook some dishes, help me in the tub, and so on. It would have been easier in a smaller room and with room service!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ugh, groceries! We have almost no food at home, as I recall. DH has Monday off, but I have eye appointment and am going to try to get foot doc to squeeze me in instead of waiting until Tuesday morning. Going to need to also get to the store.

Luckily, we did all laundry before we left, and cleaned bathrooms, vacuumed, etc. so that should be ok.

Have been pondering showers - told DH I was just going to buy some perfume instead.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, groceries! We have almost no food at home, as I recall. DH has Monday off, but I have eye appointment and am going to try to get foot doc to squeeze me in instead of waiting until Tuesday morning. Going to need to also get to the store.

Luckily, we did all laundry before we left, and cleaned bathrooms, vacuumed, etc. so that should be ok.

Have been pondering showers - told DH I was just going to buy some perfume instead.

I feel for you.. I taped a couple of garbage bags to my leg when I broke my other foot and was in a plaster cast.. it worked well and you may want to get a hand held sprayer for the shower .. I hope it heals fast..

newboots

Angel Diva
I bought (from Amazon, I think) a plastic sleeve to protect the bandages on my hand after surgery, designed just for showering. Foot is harder, I think, as the water runs down your leg.

If it were me, I'd cancel the eye appointment. Everything is so much harder when you can't walk! You're likely in better shape than I was last time I was on crutches, but it wasn't exactly easy to get around.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Oh, no! What happened Jenny? Something on the Diva trip?

When I had my spiral femur fracture 3 years ago, I was in a motel in Woodstock, VT 1,000 miles from home and I was sooo much better off for it. I was sent home health nursing and physical therapy in my room there. The cleaning staff brought me ice packs and a cooler full of ice each morning. I'd just bought low effort groceries, friends supplied later and the cleaning staff kept offeringthe end of each day to go across the street for anything else I needed. I was sooo fortunate to be there than in my own home!

Last edited:

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
Get well soon, @Jenny !

I was in Vermont 2 weeks ago... on the second day, I fell and hurt my knee. I was hoping for the best because no swelling or bruising, but couldn't put any weight on it for a few days. Of course, we were staying in this lovely cabin for the next week and it was when Skylar hit and I just got new skis :frown: I was thankful for one floor except for bed in the loft. Anyways, I'm home and not completely better and I'm waiting to hear back from doctor about scheduling an appt :confused:

Jenny

Angel Diva
@snowski/swimmouse - yes, day 3 of diva trip. Sigh. Basically, I can’t safely ski in a straight line, for heaven's sake. Snow was thick and heavy, and I think my tips submarined but I’m really not sure. I just know it hurt before I fully hit the ground! Chipped off the bottom of my ankle bone, and saved off part of the side, too. Maybe something else on the top of the foot but they couldn't tell definitively. Didn't matter, I’m still immobilized. Can't remember - how long did you have to stay in VT before you went home. Having staff is great, isn't it? I can see why the rich like it.

@Keepur - I feel for you! We have a trip to Banff in mid April that I will not be skiing on. This year’s MCP was not cost effective, for me.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I was there for the first two weeks; The second of those a friend flew up as she'd originally planned to ski with me. She said she'd play nurse, but the the day she was to arrive I experimented with driving to church, just one turn there and two back to motel. OK, I could pick her up from the bus station. Sooo, the next morning I delivered her to Suicide Six and my ski buddies. The next day I launched her to Okemo and my college friend who works there. How could I sleep all day if she was there with me! The blessing was that she could pack up all my stuff, put containers back in storage and then drive me to the airport. On the plane they bumped both of us up to bulkhead. In the Charlotte airport, I sat in the wheelchair with our luggage and she went to pick up my car and I drove south while she drove north in her own.

Sounds like complicated injury! Mend well and mend quickly!

kiki

Angel Diva
@snowski/swimmouse - yes, day 3 of diva trip. Sigh. Basically, I can’t safely ski in a straight line, for heaven's sake. Snow was thick and heavy, and I think my tips submarined but I’m really not sure. I just know it hurt before I fully hit the ground! Chipped off the bottom of my ankle bone, and saved off part of the side, too. Maybe something else on the top of the foot but they couldn't tell definitively. Didn't matter, I’m still immobilized. Can't remember - how long did you have to stay in VT before you went home. Having staff is great, isn't it? I can see why the rich like it.

@Keepur - I feel for you! We have a trip to Banff in mid April that I will not be skiing on. This year’s MCP was not cost effective, for me.
Oh no, @Jenny ! Rest and try to indulge with some books or tv and let it heal!! Sending wishes for complete and speedy healing.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Injury update:

Doc visit today went well. He did another set of x-rays and doesn’t see anything on the top of the foot. And instead of shaving off a part of the bone he mentioned avulsion, which I know what it is and to me seems kind of the same thing (i.e. bone not where it should be), but it must be somewhat better, because he is allowing me to put some weight on the foot (in the boot). And I’m also allowed to take the boot off and flex/point the foot. He seemed more concerned that it was still pretty swollen, and wrapped it up for a few days. Follow up in a week to 10 days, so hopefully everything looks good and can get started on PT.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Jenny last year I got injured in Switzerland and MRI showed avulsion fracture ACL... "ligament pulled off piece of bone"..... Lots of PT and strengthening exercises and no surgery.
BTW my BF just received results of his MRI - tibial plateau fracture. He's been walking for 10 days now .... and should not be.
Hope you heal quickly! Get started on PT...

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny last year I got injured in Switzerland and MRI showed avulsion fracture ACL... "ligament pulled off piece of bone"..... Lots of PT and strengthening exercises and no surgery.
BTW my BF just received results of his MRI - tibial plateau fracture. He's been walking for 10 days now .... and should not be.
Oooh, bummer! Hope he didn't make it worse.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Injury update:

Doc visit today went well. He did another set of x-rays and doesn’t see anything on the top of the foot. And instead of shaving off a part of the bone he mentioned avulsion, which I know what it is and to me seems kind of the same thing (i.e. bone not where it should be), but it must be somewhat better, because he is allowing me to put some weight on the foot (in the boot). And I’m also allowed to take the boot off and flex/point the foot. He seemed more concerned that it was still pretty swollen, and wrapped it up for a few days. Follow up in a week to 10 days, so hopefully everything looks good and can get started on PT.

Glad the report isn't any worse! All you need now is to follow instructions (both by the doctor and the ones you've given DH in the past) and be patient for a while.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
because he is allowing me to put some weight on the foot (in the boot). And I’m also allowed to take the boot off and flex/point the foot.
So you can walk on it, with crutches? Can you drive?

I'm not even going to ask if/when you can ski. I think trying to ski would be going a bit too far.

Jenny

Angel Diva
So you can walk on it, with crutches? Can you drive?

I'm not even going to ask if/when you can ski. I think trying to ski would be going a bit too far.
I didn't ask about driving yet - figured I would wait until next week's follow up for that. Since he wrapped it for swelling it's a little hard to point it very far, and I'd hate to think of stepping on the brakes in a hurry!

And I believe skiing in Banff would fall into the stupid category - although I may ask about it just to make certain . . .

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

OH No to Tib -P Fracture!!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I dunno. I'm surprised they didn't give you any pain meds at Squaw, unless they thought you already had some.
I'm not even sure it came up. There was some talk of pain tolerance, and I told them I was a wuss, but they didn’t seem to agree. The Excedrin worked anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna