• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was on crutches and riding the DC Metro to/from work, people went out of their way to accommodate me. I always got offered a seat. There were no barriers with respect to age, race, gender, culture. It was really nice to experience.

Of course, I always attributed it to their seeing how awkward and generally dangerous I was on crutches. Better to offer me a seat than have me fall on them!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Isn't there also a "white hat" ceremony of some sort that tourists can order and receive a hat themselves? I might be wrong, or it may be an older tradition, I just remember a friend telling me about it. I've never been to Calgary myself.
Oh fun! I should get one for DH. He's been wonderful.

Jenny

Angel Diva
You know what puzzles me? I still don't get how you have enough room in a boot to hurt your ankle. I mean, I always am wanting to tighten mine down there, so I know my ankle does have extra room, but I wouldn't think it was enough to twist. Although I think avulsion fractures can happen in ways besides twisting, but I'd have to go google them again to see. But when @vickie did hers last year, her boots were new, and she had no extra room at all in them. And if I can get hurt in the boot, how can it be a good cast?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know what puzzles me? I still don't get how you have enough room in a boot to hurt your ankle. I mean, I always am wanting to tighten mine down there, so I know my ankle does have extra room, but I wouldn't think it was enough to twist. Although I think avulsion fractures can happen in ways besides twisting, but I'd have to go google them again to see. But when @vickie did hers last year, her boots were new, and she had no extra room at all in them. And if I can get hurt in the boot, how can it be a good cast?

totally agree.. I liked that my Ortho let me go ski.. said the boot was like a cast, doesn't explain how these fractures happen in boots though.. Must be just the right angle/twist and gravity pull to break the bone?? All my breaks have been out of boots, stepping into a room with a big drop and 'rolling my ankle' and slipping and getting ankle stuck in between a log post.. I have weird accidents for sure..

I hope United is Excellent for your trip.

newboots

Angel Diva
United has had tons of bad PR over the last year (dying puppy and dragging screaming passenger off the plane), so they should be on their toes! But keep your cell phone video camera at the ready in case of rudeness or incompetence. That should teach 'em. Channel your inner @nopoleskier - complain!

I hope for the best. They have to be accommodating, both for PR reasons and it's the law!

Jenny

Angel Diva
First PT today. Now I’m to windshield wiper my foot, as well as flex/point, and @vickie, draw circles. She also taped me for swelling, which will be interesting to see the results of. I don't have any resistance bands for this first week, thankfully.

She also said my new hiking boots will be good to wear, especially on snow, and then I can wear the old ones, with the brace, on even ground. I figure I’d better bring more than one pair in case the foot swells up from more use. The new boots are narrower than the old ones, and are really a better fit.

Only a couple more days in the Frankenboot!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

A friend who broke his ankle skiing slammed into a barely buried tree stump at Squaw. Boot wound up in a couple of pieces, too. Between that injury and Levi Leipheimer's at Sugar Bowl last year (also a tree stump), I pretty much don't ski unless there is decent coverage. And it's not even like I'm going that fast.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good lord that's a lot of pieces!

Yeah - it's pretty terrifying. I am inclined to think that his was an injury that only a pro athlete can come out of without huge mental and physical setbacks a year later.

It's a different, and more major, body part, but it seems to me that the guy on pugski who hit a tree and had his femur in 4 pieces has had a slower recovery.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ditched Frankenboot for dinner and went with my new hikers! I did take one crutch, partly as a warning for others, partly as a reminder to myself not to do something dumb, but didn’t put much weight on the crutch. Seemed to work ok. Think I’ll do that while wandering around Banff tomorrow and see how tired it gets. Baby steps!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Feeling positive this morning. Ankle is better every day, although it will still be a while before I start skipping!

Got promoted to a stronger band for the exercises yesterday, have gone to two yoga classes and done fine. Still looking forward to when she'll let me go for long walks, and I know I'll need to continue doing the exercises even after I'm officially discharged from PT, but I'm walking normally now, and even picking up some speed!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, my first sort of set back in the ankle recovery - now scheduling an MRI to take a look around the peroneal tendon area to see what's going on. I feel a sort of constriction in some movements and he feels movement that shouldn’t be there, so we need to see if the bone chip has settled somewhere that it would be causing damage to the tendon or the sheath that surrounds things. It's still swollen right there, too, despite me dutifully wearing the compression socks every day.

Never had an MRI before - should be interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga