• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday at my home bump a EMT who I would think knows better- SNEEZED 3X without covering his face!! YUK!!!! I pulled my shirt up over my head and did a big SHEESH at him.. He doesn't have corona (that he knows) but WHAT A JERK!

newboots

Angel Diva
Yesterday at my home bump a EMT who I would think knows better- SNEEZED 3X without covering his face!! YUK!!!! I pulled my shirt up over my head and did a big SHEESH at him.. He doesn't have corona (that he knows) but WHAT A JERK!

And, of course, how would he know? The shortage of test kits, of course. But also the need for symptomatic people to call their doctor and request a test. Then wait to see if our government has a test kit for him.

Then go to a crowded ski lodge and sneeze all over everyone?

Sorry, been reading the news all morning.

newboots

Angel Diva
Our plans just changed. We were going to ski Pico this morning (less crowded than Killington). We decided to stay home today and ski tomorrow. I was going to go to the supermarket, but that's put off until a weekday.

I have been trying to buy bulk brown rice, which we use a lot, but haven't found it around here except in small amounts. I relented and ordered it from Amazon. Also ordered huge bottles of hand sanitizer in a package of 4. And of course, teaching Mr. Blizzard about washing his hands for 20 seconds and wiping down surfaces at the ski shop. (His solution was to stop going to work. The techs there yesterday freaked out when an Asian couple rented skis. The couple was from Long Island City. :rolleyes: ) (At least they washed their hands.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Heard about this, unbelievable how self centered some people can be. I’d be really pissed if someone knowingly exposed me and I then had my entire life disrupted by a quarantine!
What was the timing? People with mild symptoms initially may not suspect they have COVID-19 instead of a cold or regular flu.

An Australian doctor who was in the U.S. for a vacation that included skiing at Vail is dealing with major backlash after he chose to test himself even though his symptoms didn't meet the criteria for doing a COVID-19 test. He had cold symptoms that cleared up quickly. He did a test for COVID-19 test about a week after returning home. By then he felt fine. Turned out that he was a carrier, much to his surprise. It's turned into a major news story because the clinic where he worked was closed and a government official made statements that made it appear Dr. Higgins didn't make good decisions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The techs there yesterday freaked out when an Asian couple rented skis. The couple was from Long Island City.
My daughter and other Chinese-American college students were getting stares in Asheville, NC last week. There are relatively few Asian faces in western NC. Not surprising given that SARS also started in China. But before the age of social media, having people react in an unusual way when seeing an Asian face when there was a virus going around wasn't something that happened as openly.

My sense is that the east coast cases are linked more closely to the outbreak in Italy than recent travel in Asia.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My daughter flew to Boston yesterday. All the airlines are sending out announcements about how they are wiping down planes between flights. Good standard practices that apply to any cold or flu strain are enough to avoid a virus. That includes cleaning surfaces as well as washing hands.

A small study was done in Singapore to see what surfaces were holding COVID-19 in rooms used by patients. Seems as if someone with mild symptoms could infect other people who touch surfaces that haven't been cleaned. But "close contact" is the usual method of transmission.

The CDC has quite a bit of info on their website about COVID-19 at this point. A more readable FAQ (no clicking required) is by the Cleveland Clinic:

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.or...ions-about-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/

MissySki

Angel Diva
What was the timing? People with mild symptoms initially may not suspect they have COVID-19 instead of a cold or regular flu.

An Australian doctor who was in the U.S. for a vacation that included skiing at Vail is dealing with major backlash after he chose to test himself even though his symptoms didn't meet the criteria for doing a COVID-19 test. He had cold symptoms that cleared up quickly. He did a test for COVID-19 test about a week after returning home. By then he felt fine. Turned out that he was a carrier, much to his surprise. It's turned into a major news story because the clinic where he worked was closed and a government official made statements that made it appear Dr. Higgins didn't make good decisions.

Supposedly the person was diagnosed and told to self isolate before deciding to still attend the event.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My daughter flew to Boston yesterday. All the airlines are sending out announcements about how they are wiping down planes between flights. Good standard practices that apply to any cold or flu strain are enough to avoid a virus. That includes cleaning surfaces as well as washing hands.

A small study was done in Singapore to see what surfaces were holding COVID-19 in rooms used by patients. Seems as if someone with mild symptoms could infect other people who touch surfaces that haven't been cleaned. But "close contact" is the usual method of transmission.

The CDC has quite a bit of info on their website about COVID-19 at this point. A more readable FAQ (no clicking required) is by the Cleveland Clinic:

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.or...ions-about-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/
Good article.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I skied Whitetail this morning. I don’t know if it’s the spring conditions or COVID-19, but there were definitely fewer people than typical for a Sunday. I also noticed more staff wiping down tables.

On a totally separate note, out of three lifties yapping at the bottom, can’t one of them hold the fixed grip chair for a sec so it doesn’t bang full speed into the back of my legs? I try to catch it with my hand but it doesn’t always slow it down enough.

mustski

Angel Diva
Oddly enough, people just joke about it here in Val Thorens. Someone coughs or sneezes and says, "don't worry, I don't have corona virus." They can't possibly know that anymore than I can. I could be an asymptomatic carrier. That's actually the main point we all need to focus on. No one can know who has it or who is carrying; less panic and more common sense is wisdom.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is surprising @Ski Sine Fine , I usually find the lifties at Whitetail to be very solicitous. Maybe its the new gray hair . . . I was going to ski this morning and set my alarm for 4:30. Woke up at 8:30. Oh well.

We now have confirmed cases in D.C., so I'll probably be driving instead of taking the Metro. The traffic is going to be beyond horrendous.

Also, since I was just on a plane yesterday, I'm thinking of taking at least two days to work at home. I have one colleague who is 8 months along and another (male) who has a newborn at home (Feb. 29th).

newboots

Angel Diva
Also, since I was just on a plane yesterday, I'm thinking of taking at least two days to work at home. I have one colleague who is 8 months along and another (male) who has a newborn at home (Feb. 29th).

If you're going to protect those babies, it should be 2 weeks. Sadly, as @mustski noted above, the guy at the next desk could be carrying the virus and never know it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well I'm getting on a plane next Saturday and then another trip on the 23rd. That's confusing..... @newboots are you suggesting anyone on a plane should self isolate?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I realize you're thinking about the unborn and the newborn babies..... but ?

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh man. Our state is looking at putting in place mandatory but yet unspecified restrictions. Could be anything from mandatory shutdowns of any kind of gathering to actual area closures. I'm not sure how you pull this off in a free society. I'm not inclined to find out either. I think there is a limit of how much personal freedom I'm willing to sacrifice here.

I read today that there's been 20,000 flu deaths this season so far, and the flu of course kills children and young people. Meanwhile this thing may have a higher mortality rate and spread faster, but it's killing the elderly. Nearly all the deaths in WA have been at one nursing home in Kirkland WA. I am starting to feel some resentment.

On the other hand.

Screenshot_20200308-133959_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna