• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

Jilly

Staff member
I have a paddle camp in Florida. We fly out Easter weekend. I bought insurance if things go bad. But I'm going to pick up travel paks of Lysol wipes for the plane. Should have been doing that for years.

Christy

Angel Diva
There seems to be a disconnect between the government saying there’s not a big concern, but then the reactivity that’s also happening in some places seems like there sure is.. I don’t like feeling that perhaps we are not being told everything, but I guess that also sounds kind of conspiracy theoryesque as well.. :noidea:

If you'd like the opposite approach, just start reading the local Seattle news like the Seattle Times. No danger of people and news outlets not taking it seriously.

Going skiing now!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
SxSW is a big deal. I’m not surprised they cancelled it. I just spent a week in NYC after spending a week in CO. People are a bit freaked out, but still NYorkers went about their business. I did notice my flight home was not too full. I have no plans to cancel Utah. Right now I have a bad cold and cough, but it’s definitely not a flu.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
There seems to be a disconnect between the government saying there’s not a big concern, but then the reactivity that’s also happening in some places seems like there sure is.. I don’t like feeling that perhaps we are not being told everything, but I guess that also sounds kind of conspiracy theoryesque as well.. :noidea:

I lend zero credence to what China has reported over the last month or so. I don’t think that’s conspiracy theoryesque. The official story is just that - a made-up story.

I’m not really sure what to think about our preparedness in the US, but I’m definitely concerned about the level of scientific expertise currently available within the government. The CDC’s pandemic response team was let go by the White House in 2018, which is obviously disconcerting.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you'd like the opposite approach, just start reading the local Seattle news like the Seattle Times. No danger of people and news outlets not taking it seriously.

Going skiing now!

Here in New England the response of many to every news article on social media on the topic of Covid-19 that I’ve seen, is outrage that the media is just fear mongering. That it’s no big deal, no worse than the flu, why are they telling us every time a case comes up, it’s politically motivated, etc., etc., etc. I have no idea what to think for the most part.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here in New England the response of many to every news article on social media on the topic of Covid-19 that I’ve seen, is outrage that the media is just fear mongering. That it’s no big deal, no worse than the flu, why are they telling us every time a case comes up, it’s politically motivated, etc., etc., etc. I have no idea what to think for the most part.
My biggest concern is really that I’ll be a carrier and unable to see my parents for who knows how long. Covid 19 seems to be pretty insidious.

Christy

Angel Diva

That's very interesting! As people die in your area, and it seems inevitable that they will, I wonder if that will change. I would have to think so. It's too bad people have to drag politics into this though. I know a number of people that work in public health and really see the response as driven by their perspective. I have a good friend who is a virologist and reading her Twitter feed, with all sorts of predictions and such by people in the field, is downright scary.

I think both sides have a point. I get the public health standpoint of just trying to tamp this thing down as much as possible to prevent deaths. It has to be very scary for someone like my 40-year-old dog walker who is just finishing cancer treatment. But it's also true that it seems to be a mild illness for most of us, and there's already been an enormous economic cost for all of us, really. Not just the stock market and the travel industry, but the hit Seattle businesses are taking is incredible. The official guidance is, don't gather where more than 10 people are.The list of things closed is amazing: Some restaurants have closed at least temporarily; events, plays, concerts, road races, fundraisers, all canceled. All of these things provide jobs. Businesses are saying their business is down by over half. A lot of people may lose their livelihood. We stopped for Chinese food in the Chinese epicenter of North America – Richmond BC – where we heard that their business has dropped by 90%, even in here in BC where they're not particularly panicked yet. Just today I'm starting to see some pushback on this. My friends are posting on Facebook, don't forget to go out and shop in your local stores and eat in your local restaurants.

It seems like someone's going to bear the brunt of this. It's going to be elderly/immune-compromised people, or it's going to be the economy. I'm not sure if there's any way around that and I don't know what the right choice is.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Whistler is absolutely packed; the day lodges are packed; there is no way to keep social distance if you're going to ride lifts/gondolas/eat in the lodge; and my husband is reporting that men are walking out of the restroom without washing their hands, as usual. (Someone at a Seattle area college reported that the janitors this week refilled the soap dispensers in the men's room there for the first time in five years. Men are disgusting).

I think it would be amazing if we could maybe not quite be so paranoid but all practice impeccable hygiene.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was at Biltmore House and Gardens in western NC last week. Crowds seemed pretty normal for this time of year. Full house tours on a Thursday. The shop where free samples and wine tastings are available was reasonably busy too. Didn't notice anyone doing anything out of the ordinary. Biltmore is mostly a destination for tourists who drive. We met quite a few from MN, which happens to be where my BIL is from who was with me.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aside from businesses canceling meetings and telling people to be ready to work from home if necessary, everything here (western suburbs of Boston) has been fairly normal. Went out to dinner tonight and when I called yesterday I nearly couldn't get a reservation--and the place was packed when we arrived. On my evening walk after dinner, all the restaurants in my town were packed as well, from looking in the windows.
I would assume that because we a not a hot-bed of Corona activity at this time, people in general are less perturbed. If it becomes more concentrated here, then outlooks may change.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, it's the over-60 crowd (my hand is raised) who are suggested to stay home, or at least avoid nearly any place with people. I had plans to shelter my daughter's family (with baby) here in Vermont if it got bad in NY, but as we learned more, it seems that those young'ns will likely be okay even if they get sick, but we olders would be in danger from them, especially if they are silent carriers.

I have alcohol gel and wipes in my car, and wipe all the touchable surfaces after I get back in if I've been touching them with contaminated hands. Also squirt that gel on my hands frequently. At work I wash them often, and then add lotion or cream. Dry, cracked hands can bring more germs in through the skin, so moisturizing is important.

I can't believe my age makes me vulnerable to dying from this! I don't feel frail.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can't believe my age makes me vulnerable to dying from this! I don't feel frail.
Per usual, age is just an easy factor to use for public health announcement purposes. Someone who is 59 1/2 but has underlying medical issues is obviously much more at risk than someone who is 60 1/2 with no other known risk factors. Same concept as using 50 is the cut-off age for increasing DIN settings.

The fatality statistics for COVID-19 are separated by decade when looking only at age. There is a jump between 50-59 and 60-69, so presumably that's where the idea of using 60 as the age cutoff for public health warnings. If the data were published in 5 year increments, then could be 65 instead. Pretty clear that those over 70 are more vulnerable.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(Someone at a Seattle area college reported that the janitors this week refilled the soap dispensers in the men's room there for the first time in five years. Men are disgusting)
I chuckled to myself last week that this is going to trigger a rash of calls to plumbers to connect water to bathroom sinks in public men's rooms. The water was never connected ... and no one ever noticed.

newboots

Angel Diva
Mr. Blizzard is freaked out about the coronavirus, but said he washed his hands "a couple times" today, working in a ski shop with the public. He won't use the hand cream I bought him to take to work.

Then he went to Killington and skied with 12 of his nearest and dearest (family and friends). Including lunch in the lodge. What do you bet no hands got washed there either?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow, Italy is imposing some serious movement restrictions to essentially quarantine 16 million people! You aren’t allowed in or out of the affected region without special permission. Weddings, funerals, schools, night clubs, ski areas, etc. are closed across the whole country as well. Some restaurants can operate during certain hours, but customers must sit at least 3 feet apart. This is to stay in place until early April for now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Get this: some guy who worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital in NH and was diagnosed with Corona virus actually went to a party at a restaurant in White River Junction, VT. Everyone who was at the party or who worked in the restaurant is now under quarantine. Even the band.

Vermont just had its first reported case (I don't think these two items are related, but not sure).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note, I have a niece who is an epidemiologist and doctor, and she concurs: WASH YOUR HANDS! She says the most at risk are older people or people with compromised immune systems.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Get this: some guy who worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital in NH and was diagnosed with Corona virus actually went to a party at a restaurant in White River Junction, VT. Everyone who was at the party or who worked in the restaurant is now under quarantine. Even the band.

Vermont just had its first reported case (I don't think these two items are related, but not sure).

Heard about this, unbelievable how self centered some people can be. I’d be really pissed if someone knowingly exposed me and I then had my entire life disrupted by a quarantine!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna