• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

inept skiers on expert slopes

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interestingly, some people don't seem to read the fine print that's on the trail map about the level of difficulty being relative only to the mountain itself - not to other ski areas. Maybe I'm a little OCD, but that was the first thing that popped out at me. It made sense - mountains are formed by different forces of nature so it would stand to reason that you can't lump all slopes into a generic classification system.

Tami, your last post just makes so much sense. I have a feeling most of the Divas do exactly what you describe, but there are a lot of people who don't. Of course, this is a discussion that could be seen to apply to most of life - there's those of us who are careful and considerate, and there's the others who are neither. Unfortunately, those of us in the Careful and Considerate group are affected by the actions of the others.

However, I will say that when I've been helped out by a stranger those few times, it has meant more to me than I can say. I have been able to return the favor on the XC trails a few times and it felt good!

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Along the lines of the discussion in this thread about awareness of your personal space and equipment as a new skier I had a guy stab me with his ski pole this weekend.:mad: It was at the top of the lift and off to the side. I was putting my pole straps on when I suddenly felt something pointy jab me hard in the shoulder. I looked over to see a guy obliviously wielding his ski pole. And all I got was "oh sorry did I hit you?" and when I said yes he just sort of shrugged and skied off. He's just lucky I wasn't a little kid or someone could have lost an eye.

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tami, your last post just makes so much sense. I have a feeling most of the Divas do exactly what you describe, but there are a lot of people who don't.
Bingo! That's the problem..... we all actually care to be considerate, make an effort to learn the ettiquette- whether expert racer or fresh to the snow. A lot of people just don't give a :eek:. Like amanda's Sir Lancealot. They're the ones I want to trip sometimes......

abc

Banned
Ironically, this is less of a problem for the more advanced skiers than the "less advanced". After all, Tami and many others can managed down whatever slope they found themselves in!

It's not even that much a problem for the beginers. They're usually careful by neccessity. So the worst they would do is end up traversing across the blue runs. Maybe annoying the wannabees but not endangering anyone.

My personal theory is this is the worst problem for the "long time intermediates" going to a new mountain! They've been skiing for years on a few local mountains' blue and blacks they lost the fear! So they immediately jump onto a "blue" (or even black) of a new mountain, only to find one mountain's blue or black isn't the same as another mountain's blue and black!!! Now they really freaked out...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna