• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the shell plus puffy camp although I did end up spending most of this season in my puffy which .... gasp .... isnt even a "skiing" brand its just plain old Uniqlo I need to get a more "skiing" suitable one for next season :laughter:
Uniqlo is a skiing brand as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the world just doest't recognize it yet. :wink:

Ultralight puffy vest is a staple for everyone in my family and DD skis regularly with her Ultralight down jacket. I will say, the original vest design was better (IMHO) than the current version and some down items have changed their fit trending more towards fashion....

Jilly

Staff member
I loved my Spyder set. It had a yellow stripe under the arm and down the side of the pant. So, sort looked like a police officer. But it was warm...I lost weight and it was too big...I don't remember the size, but the pants were men's. That I remember...

I know the former Sypder rep's wife. Maybe she might remember how they fit.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now I could be wrong here but I heard through the grapevine that the parent company of Volcom have acquired Spyder so it will interesting to see if anything changes design wise.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@DebbieSue - I’ll vote yes, too, especially since I just ordered another lightweight down-alternative jacket just a couple of hours ago. mostly just for wearing around, but could be a layer if it gets real cold. I want company in the new jacket department.

As for sizing, I’ve not bought Spyder, but from what I remember, I had to go a size or two bigger to be comfortable in the ones I’ve tried on. It's been a while, though, so take that for what it's worth, which isn't much, lol!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the shell plus puffy camp although I did end up spending most of this season in my puffy which .... gasp .... isnt even a "skiing" brand its just plain old Uniqlo I need to get a more "skiing" suitable one for next season :laughter:
My shell's the Burton Upshift and even though its super light its also windproof (a VERY important consideration over here in NZ !) so its warmer than you'd first think.
I do prefer shorter jackets (hence I wear the Burton cinched in and pulled up) as I generally ski on T Bars and its super easy to get your jacket hooked up when getting off, the one day this season I uncinched it , you guessed it, I got hooked up and my right knee is now paying the price for that little random move !
I say get the Spyder if you love it and it will certainly be a pretty combination :thumbsup:
Uniqlo is a ski brand in our family! Heattech gets used by all the women in my family on snow trips (admittedly for me, only as après) and my brother's spring boarding sweatshirt is uniqlo!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uniqlo is a ski brand in our family! Heattech gets used by all the women in my family on snow trips (admittedly for me, only as après) and my brother's spring boarding sweatshirt is uniqlo!
I love mine but it dosen't have zipped pockets and they've ended up filled with snow on many occassion :laughter:

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
I bought this on SAC just a few minutes ago.
Do I need it? No
Am I excited about it? Well, yeah!!!
TRIBAS.jpg

Please tell me I'm not alone. :redface:
Preach Sister!!!!!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
That's a beautiful jacket. You'll be pink and blue! Definitely a statement in pastel. I'm thinking this combination will be a sophisticated look.

I've given up on light colored ski jackets because I get the sleeves and zipper area too dirty. I'm hard on my clothes.

What color is you helmet?
Helmet is black….I can’t muster up the energy to coordinate that too…

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I was an avid Uniqlo consumer until I read that they were using forced Uighur labor in Xinjiang (western China). Not calling for a mass boycott or whatever - and I can only imagine what the supply chain of my laptop or phone is like - but with so many other choices I’ve chosen to stop purchasing from them. Stinks because I love wearing Heat Tech as base layers.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@ski diva - A couple other brands like The North Face are on that list of companies associated with forced labor in Xinjiang.

Ymmv, do your own diligence if you want, I plan to keep using my TNF gear and existing Heat Tech base layers but to look at other options for future purchases.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@ski diva - A couple other brands like The North Face are on that list of companies associated with forced labor in Xinjiang.

Ymmv, do your own diligence if you want, I plan to keep using my TNF gear and existing Heat Tech base layers but to look at other options for future purchases.
Ugh that is a major bummer.. especially because selfishly, TNF is a favorite of mine due to fit. It just fits me really well in terms of bottoms that I struggle with sizing always and also nice long arms on their tops/jackets which can also be a struggle for me with many brands.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Ugh that is a major bummer.. especially because selfishly, TNF is a favorite of mine due to fit. It just fits me really well in terms of bottoms that I struggle with sizing always and also nice long arms on their tops/jackets which can also be a struggle for me with many brands.
I would just look into it and weigh what information you can find available to make an informed choice. I really like my TNF stuff, and I think the quality is excellent. But since other options work well for me, it’s an easy choice to try other brands instead of doing the heavy lifting to see if I am comfortable with continuing to buy from them.

It’s really hard to find reliable info on what’s happening over there. All of us end-consumers have such little visibility and awareness of what goes into the stuff we buy… just being conscious of that and exercising a little awareness and due diligence goes a long way. Plus buying American-made/local is always great!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Uniqlo is a skiing brand as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the world just doest't recognize it yet. :wink:

Ultralight puffy vest is a staple for everyone in my family and DD skis regularly with her Ultralight down jacket. I will say, the original vest design was better (IMHO) than the current version and some down items have changed their fit trending more towards fashion....
Love my uniqlo vest… much better than my triple the price Patagonia’s.

Reactions: AJM

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was an avid Uniqlo consumer until I read that they were using forced Uighur labor in Xinjiang (western China). Not calling for a mass boycott or whatever - and I can only imagine what the supply chain of my laptop or phone is like - but with so many other choices I’ve chosen to stop purchasing from them. Stinks because I love wearing Heat Tech as base layers.

Ugh, this sucks. I did see that both companies released statements saying that they are not associated with forced labour - Uniqlo stated they weren't manufacturing in Xinjiang at all and The North Face said they weren't associated with the named company - but not sure how much of their supply chain might still be tied up there indirectly!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Ugh, this sucks. I did see that both companies released statements saying that they are not associated with forced labour - Uniqlo stated they weren't manufacturing in Xinjiang at all and The North Face said they weren't associated with the named company - but not sure how much of their supply chain might still be tied up there indirectly!
Thanks for that info, I’ll have to be a little less lazy and dig into it!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now I could be wrong here but I heard through the grapevine that the parent company of Volcom have acquired Spyder so it will interesting to see if anything changes design wise.
That happened a year ago.

Then they USSki and Snowboard team went to KAPPA this past May

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga