• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me find a new uninsulated hardshell

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great color! I bet it'd look dynamite with your floral ski pants.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Following this thread as I decided this morning that I need a new uninsulated she'll jacket. Pockets and pit zips and not too long are my primary criteria.

newboots

Angel Diva
I will vouch for Wendy’s new jacket looking wonderful on her! She wears blue well and it will be so great with several of her pants!

newboots

Angel Diva
So if it fits me, it may not work for you?

Not unless you’re a 12 but many 12s are too tight around my expanded middle. Still hoping for the middle to contract. :-(. I am vowing (once again) to get into better shape this summer/fall.

5’4” and just rose over 150! And this whole I’ve had digestive problems and often can’t eat for hours!

jetski

Diva in Training
I've been rockin' the same uninsulated hardshell for eons. It's the same pink Cloudveil RPK that a few of us had at Diva West in 2009. (We all found them at TJ Maxx; I think I've gotten my money's worth)

View attachment 15370

So yes, I think it's time for a change.

Any suggestions?

BTW, that's me standing behind SkiNurse and Marigee. I think this was taken at Copper.

I’m surprised no one has suggested Outdoor Research’s many great options. I find OR to offer one of the best values in outdoor gear, and their women’s specific designs are well thought out and super comfortable. I’ve been rocking the Aspire for YEARS and love it. It’s lightweight, holds up in even the toughest conditions, and is relatively soft and flexible so doesn’t restrict movement. The aspire isn’t ski-specific, though, and I’ve been contemplating buying their Skyward or Hemispheres jackets, which are designed for skiing, especially in the backcountry. Both feature the OR ascent shell fabric which is one of my very favorite things of all time. It’s basically a hard shell that feels like a lightweight soft shell. I have the Hemispheres bib and basically live in it all ski season. Anyway, highly recommend you check OR out, as they’re generally way cheaper than Arcteryx or Patagonia while still having great designs and excellent quality.
Also, you should look into whether you’re a member of any organizations that get prodeals or discounts through ExpertVoice. For example, I get 40% off plus free shipping on OR and a bunch of other brands bc I’m a member of the Colorado Mountain Club and the International Mtn Biking Association. It has literally saved me thousands in gear over the years. Good luck!

jetski

Diva in Training
I’m surprised no one has suggested Outdoor Research’s many great options. I find OR to offer one of the best values in outdoor gear, and their women’s specific designs are well thought out and super comfortable. I’ve been rocking the Aspire for YEARS and love it. It’s lightweight, holds up in even the toughest conditions, and is relatively soft and flexible so doesn’t restrict movement. The aspire isn’t ski-specific, though, and I’ve been contemplating buying their Skyward or Hemispheres jackets, which are designed for skiing, especially in the backcountry. Both feature the OR ascent shell fabric which is one of my very favorite things of all time. It’s basically a hard shell that feels like a lightweight soft shell. I have the Hemispheres bib and basically live in it all ski season. Anyway, highly recommend you check OR out, as they’re generally way cheaper than Arcteryx or Patagonia while still having great designs and excellent quality.
Also, you should look into whether you’re a member of any organizations that get prodeals or discounts through ExpertVoice. For example, I get 40% off plus free shipping on OR and a bunch of other brands bc I’m a member of the Colorado Mountain Club and the International Mtn Biking Association. It has literally saved me thousands in gear over the years. Good luck!

Oh I should add for those concerned with fit that OR tends to run large and generally fits my very curvy frame much better than other brands. (I’m 5’4, 140’ and a small in their gear.)

jetski

Diva in Training
Oh I should add for those concerned with fit that OR tends to run large and generally fits my very curvy frame much better than other brands. (I’m 5’4, 140’ and a small in their gear.)
Also I just realized that I missed like 90% of this thread, lol. Glad you found a good jacket! I’ll leave this up for others who might be on the hunt! :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@jetski is right, OR has some great stuff. I can speak to these:

Aspire - I've used this shell for skiing on warm days, but technically it's a rain shell. It has pit zips that go all the way to the hem, so you can unzip and turn it into a poncho. Super practical in general.

Skyward - true ski hardshell, great pockets and pit zips. I prefer an insulated jacket, but wear this with a light base layer on warm days, spring days.

OffChute - older product line, still available online - this is the jacket I've been wearing on CO trips. Lightweight insulation, comfy soft, warm enough for a light base layer on days in the 20s, on colder days, just add more layers.

Axxess - @contesstant turned me on to this jacket and the brand in 2011. I still wear it. Don't know if the Hemispheres line is as full-featured as this jacket (a goggle wipe and a built-in balaclava, for example).

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm the latest shell-hunter. I will check out OR, thanks!

I have some great OR gloves + mittens that are versatile and quite warm. Currently sporting an wrist splint when skiing, I wear my glove liners under the splint and the mittens (which are just shells) outside. It's spring, so I manage fine without a hand warmer.

lelee

Diva in Training
I'm the latest shell-hunter. I will check out OR, thanks!

I have some great OR gloves + mittens that are versatile and quite warm. Currently sporting an wrist splint when skiing, I wear my glove liners under the splint and the mittens (which are just shells) outside. It's spring, so I manage fine without a hand warmer.

Since you're still looking: I splurged on an Arc'teryx shell this season and LOVE it. I believe I only paid ~$350 USD for it, whereas the same jacket line retails for $750 USD.

I actually ended up getting it from the used gear section on their website (its used condition was "Like New"), and it's technically a men's jacket. I got a size S; I'm 5'6" and ~120 lbs. It's extremely lightweight, warm, has room for layers, and I believe it has a GORE-TEX Pro construction.

That said, I would highly recommend checking out used gear on Arc'teryx, even if not for your new shell - great prices AND good for the environment :-)

https://www.usedgear.arcteryx.com/

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@lelee - I'm going to need this in the fall for sure. I have a 12 yo boy, and normally, I've always bought the kids' snow gear in the spring on sale. There is literally no telling what size he will be by November/December, so I held off this year.

I'll happily buy consigned/tradein gear to keep things humming. Thanks for the tip!!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1, that's a great color.

There was an ad in a recent Stio catalog. Dusty blue jacket over toned down goldenrod-yellow pants. Not the skittles effect, certainly not neon, but still colorful and contrasty in a good way.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I will also note that I am usually pretty "cheap" when it comes to getting things for myself, but after months of trying coats and sending things back bc of poor fit, once I found something that worked for my body type/size, I bit the bullet.
and? what did you buy????

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a great deal on a Black Diamond Helio Active jacket last year (well under half-price)

It does come in a bright blue and red as well apparently, the grey is stealthy but dull...

@MrsPlow - is the shell "crinkly" ? ie makes noise? thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna