• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me find a new uninsulated hardshell

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
A visit to Farmway’s bargain section might be worth a trip. I found a Patagonia shell there last year for $100. I love it and it will probably outlive me.

LOVE Farmway. I was just there last week! No luck, though. Maybe I hit it too early.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Patagonia Triolet shell ...it actually has a flattering fit & not boxy. It was well worth the price (although I think I snagged it with a 20% REI coupon).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have a Patagonia Triolet shell ...it actually has a flattering fit & not boxy. It was well worth the price (although I think I snagged it with a 20% REI coupon).
Think that's the one I have. There is a 20% REI coupon going on now BTW.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@ski diva - What features are you looking for the shell to have?

I mostly wear shells and have found many to be great jackets, but it’s the individual features that set them apart.

I have a Billie Coat, which is probably the thickest shell I have. It’s super durable and waterproof, and I love the pocket layouts. Simple and straightforward, but tons of room. I also wear a Lucy Jacket from Flylow, which is lighter weight, a little bit of stretch, and a bit less boxy than the Billie. Pockets are good, but nothing to write home about. I also wear a North Face A-Cad, which is soft, comfortable and has a zipper on the front that looks like a pocket, but it goes through the jacket to access the front pocket on bibs. If you don’t wear bibs...those zippers are pretty useless.

What are “must-haves”? Helmet-compatible hood? Large inside pockets for goggles/skins/hats/gloves/etc? Pass pocket in sleeve? Sustainable and uses environmentally friendly fabrics? So on...? If features aren’t too important, then I’d just find something that’s 20k waterproof, sealed seams, gets good reviews for durability, fits the way you want it and is the right price.

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I wear the Strafe Meadow jacket, and my BFF/ski buddy wears the Stio Environ jacket. Both are great, very well made technical shells which I would highly recommend. Caveat: full retail price on these is eye-wateringly expensive (out of my price range, I bought mine at a significant discount) but this gets somewhat more reasonable at end of season, and even better for past season goods. If you wear a small size you could luck out as availability from prior seasons tends to be higher. For reference, I am tall and curvy with a long torso and my friend is petite. Good luck in your search!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@ski diva - What features are you looking for the shell to have?

I mostly wear shells and have found many to be great jackets, but it’s the individual features that set them apart.

I have a Billie Coat, which is probably the thickest shell I have. It’s super durable and waterproof, and I love the pocket layouts. Simple and straightforward, but tons of room. I also wear a Lucy Jacket from Flylow, which is lighter weight, a little bit of stretch, and a bit less boxy than the Billie. Pockets are good, but nothing to write home about. I also wear a North Face A-Cad, which is soft, comfortable and has a zipper on the front that looks like a pocket, but it goes through the jacket to access the front pocket on bibs. If you don’t wear bibs...those zippers are pretty useless.

What are “must-haves”? Helmet-compatible hood? Large inside pockets for goggles/skins/hats/gloves/etc? Pass pocket in sleeve? Sustainable and uses environmentally friendly fabrics? So on...? If features aren’t too important, then I’d just find something that’s 20k waterproof, sealed seams, gets good reviews for durability, fits the way you want it and is the right price.

Thanks for your thoughts. And good questions, too! Yes, features are important. I'd like a
helmet compatible hood. Durabiity, waterproof-ness, and wind resistance are also important, as are taped seams, pit zips, and a good zipper. Also, style. I don't want it to look like a box and I don't want it too long. I'm short, so this can be an issue. I'd also like a color that's not black or an earth tone. So many jackets are available in pretty drab colors.

BTW, @sevensaes , that Environ jacket looks great. But even on sale right now, it's over $400. Whew!

Last edited:

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
BTW, @sevensaes , that Environ jacket looks great. But even on sale right now, it's over $400. Whew!

Yes, I know... :( And unlike Strafe, I don't tend to see Stio jackets sold by other discount sites that might offer steeper discounts than the manufacturer. Keep an eye on the prices though, there may be more room to drop as the season ends. :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I know... :( And unlike Strafe, I don't tend to see Stio jackets sold by other discount sites that might offer steeper discounts than the manufacturer. Keep an eye on the prices though, there may be more room to drop as the season ends. :smile:

I am definitely going to monitor that one. It's pretty much what I want.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I wore for the past decade, a great shell! I’m sure updated as well. :smile:

It looks nice (I even like the color). And yes, I have a 20% off coupon! But I'm a bit concerned about some of the reviews.

What size did you have, @MissySki?

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a great deal on a Black Diamond Helio Active jacket last year (well under half-price) - I think it has all the features you're after (except colour, mine is sadly light grey), and is super light and packable. I can't comment on durability because I've only worn it for about 5 days so far (I bought it primarily for touring) but very pleased with it to date.

It does come in a bright blue and red as well apparently, the grey is stealthy but dull...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Nice jacket, @santacruz skier , in a nice color. Question, though. I read a review in GearJunkie that said the following:

"Like Patagonia states in the Stormstride description, this kit is made for dedicated ski tourers. While I would wear this on mild winter days at my resort, it’s not meant to be worn solely for lift skiing.."

What do they mean by that? Why would a jacket not be suitable for lift served skiing, if you had appropriate layers underneath?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Nice jacket, @santacruz skier , in a nice color. Question, though. I read a review in GearJunkie that said the following:

"Like Patagonia states in the Stormstride description, this kit is made for dedicated ski tourers. While I would wear this on mild winter days at my resort, it’s not meant to be worn solely for lift skiing.."

What do they mean by that? Why would a jacket not be suitable for lift served skiing, if you had appropriate layers underneath?
Gosh I have no idea. I have a chiropractor appt tomorrow across the street from the Patagonia outlet. I’d be happy to go there and find out. Of course last time I was there I bought that cute mint green nano puff hoody.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Gosh I have no idea. I have a chiropractor appt tomorrow across the street from the Patagonia outlet. I’d be happy to go there and find out. Of course last time I was there I bought that cute mint green nano puff hoody.

Hey, thanks! I have nothing like that around here, so I'd appreciate your finding out for me.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I agree it felt weird, and I was curious, so I found this article. I think the idea is that the Stormstride material is more likely to get damaged from friction/snags when used in lift-served skiing - loading/unloading, etc?

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/patagonia-ski-jackets#advice

The nugget that made me think that is all the way near the end...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna