• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me find a new uninsulated hardshell

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Good info from link. I'll stop by tomorrow and ask about the Stormstride. My Patagonia shell (can't remember which one I have) is very lightweight (pretty light turquoise and wear a lot) as well and not really a hard shell. It's quite durable. I'll let you know what info I get. Also, will look at other shells. The outlet has fantastic sales a few times a year, and sometimes here and there during the year. Products are from the prior season (not year) so everything pretty current. Send me a PM with your personal email in case I need to take some photos. Also, color preference and size. They may have other shells.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Good info from link. I'll stop by tomorrow and ask about the Stormstride. My Patagonia shell (can't remember which one I have) is very lightweight (pretty light turquoise and wear a lot) as well and not really a hard shell. It's quite durable. I'll let you know what info I get. Also, will look at other shells. The outlet has fantastic sales a few times a year, and sometimes here and there during the year. Products are from the prior season (not year) so everything pretty current. Send me a PM with your personal email in case I need to take some photos. Also, color preference and size. They may have other shells.
Be sure to post a picture of the new jacket you buy tomorrow when you’re there doing your good deed!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice jacket, @santacruz skier , in a nice color. Question, though. I read a review in GearJunkie that said the following:

"Like Patagonia states in the Stormstride description, this kit is made for dedicated ski tourers. While I would wear this on mild winter days at my resort, it’s not meant to be worn solely for lift skiing.."

What do they mean by that? Why would a jacket not be suitable for lift served skiing, if you had appropriate layers underneath?
It might be because touring jackets tend to be minimalist to cut back on weight. Mine has fewer pockets so less zips which means less weight - I have another shell that's probably twice the weight but has more places to put stuff. The lower weight also means it's more likely to be a bit more delicate - although it's still got to stand up to putting a pack on and off fairly frequently, skiing through trees and bush-whacking so it can't be too delicate.

I'd guess it's fine to wear on resort, it's just the true benefit is only going to be felt if you've got to carry it up every foot of vertical you're then skiing down, if that makes sense.

Also thinking that the jacket you're describing could well be a climbing or hiking jacket and there tend to be more deals on those in the late summer...

elemmac

Angel Diva
It might be because touring jackets tend to be minimalist to cut back on weight. Mine has fewer pockets so less zips which means less weight - I have another shell that's probably twice the weight but has more places to put stuff. The lower weight also means it's more likely to be a bit more delicate - although it's still got to stand up to putting a pack on and off fairly frequently, skiing through trees and bush-whacking so it can't be too delicate.

I think this is exactly it with the Patagonia Stormstride. From a quick look at the specs, it claims 4 pockets: two chest pockets and two inside the jacket. There aren’t any “normal” hand pockets...probably because normal pockets get in the way of backpack waist belts or harness straps. Then they’ve listed a “powder gasket”, which looks like a minimalist powder skirt.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I love this group!

@santacruz skier volunteered to go shopping for me at her local Patagonia outlet in California. We're the same height, though she weighs less than I do. Anyway, we figured if whatever she tried on was a bit big on her, it'd be good for me. The result: I was able to score a Patagonia Triolet jacket for what I think is a good price (under $200, and it retails for $399), and they'll ship it to me for free. If it's not right, I'll send it back (they said they'd take returns).

Here it is:

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 3.59.39 PM.png

Thanks for your help, @santacruz skier !

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love this group!

@santacruz skier volunteered to go shopping for me at her local Patagonia outlet in California. We're the same height, though she weighs less than me. Anyway, we figured if it was a bit big on her, it'd be good for me. The result: I was able to score a Patagonia Triolet jacket for what I think is a good price (under $200, and it retails for $399), and they'll ship it to me for free. If it's not right, I'll send it back (they said they'd take returns).

Here it is:

View attachment 15400

Thanks for your help, @santacruz skier !

This is awesome, yay!!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats! I was going to just put in a plug for LL Bean Gortex jackets. I love mine, and the price is right..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just wanted to give a shout-out to my very own personal shopper, @santacruz skier ! The shell arrived today from Patagonia, and it's PERFECT! Fits well and everything I want in a shell. Thanks so much, SCS!
So happy to hear that it's perfect ! That was fast as purchased on Monday, right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna