• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me find a new uninsulated hardshell

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've been rockin' the same uninsulated hardshell for eons. It's the same pink Cloudveil RPK that a few of us had at Diva West in 2009. (We all found them at TJ Maxx; I think I've gotten my money's worth)

IMG_0041.JPG

So yes, I think it's time for a change.

Any suggestions?

BTW, that's me standing behind SkiNurse and Marigee. I think this was taken at Copper.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I felt the same way after you and I went through lots of old pictures last season and saw me in the same shell for the past decade or so at Diva events! :rotf: I really like some of the Arcteryx shells based on how they fit me, but have hated the colors the last two seasons. I got the Flylow Billie Coat this season and like it a lot, it was 50% off when I snagged it so I figured it was worth a shot and I could always get the Arcteryx down the road if a color pops up that I like. Though I doubt I'll bother anytime soon now as I'm pretty happy with what I have right now..

So Flylow might be one to try, it gets really good reviews beyond myself as well.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you mentioned the Billie Coat. I ordered one from SteepandCheap and just sent it back today. I got the small, and it just made me look like I was wearing a refrigerator carton — too boxy and long for rme. Maybe I should've exchanged it for an extra small, but I was afraid that would be too small and I didn't want to deal with it. Too bad; it seemed like a great quality jacket, too.

Last edited:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the fit of Arcteryx, hate the prices. I find that Black Diamond makes decent items, but have had some wear and tear issues with their gloves. I am still sporting a Teton Brothers shell. It is a japanese company so sort of fun as I am a Teton Skier.

Good luck finding the perfect shell. Such a key piece of gear.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Funny you mentioned the Billie Coat. I ordered one from SteepandCheap and just sent it back today. I got the small, and it just made me look like I was wearing a refrigerator carton — too boxy and long for rme. Maybe I should've exchanged it for an extra small, but I was afraid that would be too small and I didn't want to deal with it. Too bad; it seemed like a great quality jacket, too.

Oh darn! I have the Small, so would imagine the fit being large on you in the ways you described for sure.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Amie H

Angel Diva
I got an Arcteryx Women's Beta SV last year and LOVE it. I justified the cost bc I use it as a rain coat as well, so it's used year-round. We have an Arcteryx "outlet" in the Chicago area, so I paid only about 60% of online retail for it.
It has pit zips, adjustable, helmet friendly hood, goggle pocket, inner chest pocket, arm pass pocket, etc, and all sealed zippers.
It's a fuller, longer cut. Maybe not flattering on a thin person but it's not "boxy" due to it's lower-hip length. I like that I can layer a fleece, vest, or even light puffer coat under it. And I can easily slip a backpack on it, as well. Oh, and it folds itself into the hood so easy to stash in a backpack or tote for travel or when shedding layers. Again, I did not pay this price but here it is on their site:
https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/womens/beta-sv-jacket

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
As a terminally thrifty ski equipment purchaser I am choking on that price! Of course most of my ski jackets came from Sierra Trading Post before TJ Maxx bought them. And with the coupons or customer codes they used to give out it was possible to get really good deals.

Dr Pugs bought a ski shell from HH this past season, but only because he had a 50% off coupon. He’s really liked the quality and breathability. I’m definitely more willing to spend on gear than I used to be (and have amassed way too much stuff), but adamantly refuse to pay full price.

Personally, I’m of the mindset that spending more than $30 on jeans is extravagant... I asked Dr Pugs if he was cool with me buying fancier jeans the other day — of course he was — but I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger!

Amie H

Angel Diva
I will also note that I am usually pretty "cheap" when it comes to getting things for myself, but after months of trying coats and sending things back bc of poor fit, once I found something that worked for my body type/size, I bit the bullet.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dr Pugs bought a ski shell from HH this past season, but only because he had a 50% off coupon. He’s really liked the quality and breathability. I’m definitely more willing to spend on gear than I used to be (and have amassed way too much stuff), but adamantly refuse to pay full price.

Personally, I’m of the mindset that spending more than $30 on jeans is extravagant... I asked Dr Pugs if he was cool with me buying fancier jeans the other day — of course he was — but I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger!

Ah, a kindred spirit! I can’t pay over $30 for jeans, either. I wait until I accrue enough Eddie Bauer credits on stuff that goes at 50% off on clearance. Besides, I probably have enough jeans in various sizes, packed away at home, to get me through the rest of my life! I did go up to 40 something for fleece lined ones but spending as much time as I do in Vermont that seems like an OK extravagance!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Ah, a kindred spirit! I can’t pay over $30 for jeans, either. I wait until I accrue enough Eddie Bauer credits on stuff that goes at 50% off on clearance. Besides, I probably have enough jeans in various sizes, packed away at home, to get me through the rest of my life! I did go up to 40 something for fleece lined ones but spending as much time as I do in Vermont that seems like an OK extravagance!
You extravagant ladies in your fancy $30 jeans; I just rock $9 Hanes Sweats most of the time :becky::becky::becky: Hahaha.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I got an Arcteryx Women's Beta SV last year and LOVE it. I justified the cost bc I use it as a rain coat as well, so it's used year-round. We have an Arcteryx "outlet" in the Chicago area, so I paid only about 60% of online retail for it.
It has pit zips, adjustable, helmet friendly hood, goggle pocket, inner chest pocket, arm pass pocket, etc, and all sealed zippers.
It's a fuller, longer cut. Maybe not flattering on a thin person but it's not "boxy" due to it's lower-hip length. I like that I can layer a fleece, vest, or even light puffer coat under it. And I can easily slip a backpack on it, as well. Oh, and it folds itself into the hood so easy to stash in a backpack or tote for travel or when shedding layers. Again, I did not pay this price but here it is on their site:
https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/womens/beta-sv-jacket

I would love one of those. The price, alas, is too rich for my blood. And we have no outlets nearby.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I would love one of those. The price, alas, is too rich for my blood. And we have no outlets nearby.
Maybe Ebay? That's where I got the Eddie Bauer light vented puffer I wear. Once I know what I want (confident in brand's sizing, style w features I want. etc) then check ebay for same style/size. No returns, though, so you sorta have to narrow down to what you know will work for you. Good luck jacket hunting!

Sparky

Angel Diva
I think my Patagonia powder bowl is my favorite shell. It’s a relatively heavier Gore-Tex shell and it’s one of the most functional jackets I have. I will have to say that I think they tend to run a little big/long so not sure if it’ll work for you (am taller than you?) and perhaps they’ve changed their cut since I got mine probably 4-5 seasons ago?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have something similar to @Sparky and can't remember the particular name of the shell. It's Patagonia 3 layer shell with great pockets, pit zips, goretex about 2-3 seasons old. I love it and not sure if they still make it. Mine fits perfect and not too long... don't like really long jackets on my small frame....

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva , I do not get the impression that you are cavalier or uninspired when it comes to your gear.
Because you're on the smaller side I propose that you look into snowboarding jackets. So many cool style cuts and fun fabrics that you may find quite attractive . Dakine, 686, Roxy.., so many options. Most come in very true smaller sizing. Picture Organic is another fun company that has interesting and well-made garments.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volcom's gore-tex shells, although maybe less technical/featured compared to some of the other brands, have a reasonably nice fit/cut. And sometimes fun patterns and colours.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna