• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

Christy

Angel Diva
Ugh.

Can anyone give me the short version of how it is distributed? Is it just relative to state population?

newboots

Angel Diva
@snoWYmonkey - that’s terrible to learn. I suspect it’s like that in many states.

In happier news, former President Trump spoke on the news last night and again urged people to get the vaccine. Maybe this will help.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh.

Can anyone give me the short version of how it is distributed? Is it just relative to state population?
Yes, it is based on the total adult population. In our area it gets tricky. At 80 per cent of households in the neighboring county which is in another state work in the county and state that Jackson Hole is in. Any vaccinations that are work related are administered in the state/county where the person works. Thus, our county's first responders, and many other health care workers are getting vaccines in numbers greater than the adult resident population of our county.

The system is far from perfect, but at least it is up and running in most places and no approach will ever by perfect, as I am sure some states and counties have for more eager takers than others do.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I am fortunate enough to have received my second dose today (NYS 1b under comorbidities.) Before my first dose, I had no idea what a relief it would be. My husband was eligible earlier than me because of his job. This means that maybe just maybe I will get to see my out-of-state parents this summer for the first time in nearly 2 years!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So here’s a dilemma. My MD has given me the go ahead based on a co-morbidity (I have a doctor’s note and a reminder on the online app to get vaccinated), except under the statewide and county guidance, my co-morbidity isn’t...morbid enough. My county is about 17% behind the rest of the state, so I’m inclined to wait a few weeks to see if vaccinations increase, or see if I get called off a waitlist, rather than spend all day trying to find an appointment...On the other hand, maybe the doctors note will get me out of jury duty next month.

Christy

Angel Diva
My parents were finally able to get their first shot.

Yes, it is based on the total adult population. In our area it gets tricky. At 80 per cent of households in the neighboring county which is in another state work in the county and state that Jackson Hole is in. Any vaccinations that are work related are administered in the state/county where the person works. Thus, our county's first responders, and many other health care workers are getting vaccines in numbers greater than the adult resident population of our county.

The system is far from perfect, but at least it is up and running in most places and no approach will ever by perfect, as I am sure some states and counties have for more eager takers than others do.

That makes sense. It's too bad there isn't also a way to make sure doses aren't going unused in some places when they are so badly needed in others, but I know perfect is the enemy of the good, and I suppose it's better if local/state health depts keep trying to figure out a way to gets shots into arms rather than giving up new doses. And I suppose they just need to be as objective as possible and go by the numbers.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's too bad there isn't also a way to make sure doses aren't going unused in some places when they are so badly needed in others
My nephew and his wife (mid thirties) got on a list to be called if extra vaccines at the end of the day. They received a call from Rite Aid yesterday to come on down and get the vaccine as there were extras ! So they jumped on it.
This is in the San Joaquin Valley (Lodi) in California.

Jilly

Staff member
We are so far behind here in Canada. Locally they are still jabbing the health care workers and second level types - your chiro, RMT, home care people. 80+ are allowed to book their shots on line. How many 80+ do you know that can work a complicated website?

Also they are giving the Oxford-AZ shot to 60-64 at pharmacies and they brought in a batch that expires the first part of April. Most filled up the first day. I'm on the list at the pharmacy at the cottage. They told me the first couple of weeks of April probably. I'm also on the registered list at home. There they do ask you if you could come at a moment's notice....YES!

Christy

Angel Diva
My nephew and his wife (mid thirties) got on a list to be called if extra vaccines at the end of the day. They received a call from Rite Aid yesterday to come on down and get the vaccine as there were extras ! So they jumped on it.
This is in the San Joaquin Valley (Lodi) in California.

Yeah we have things like that too where the city texts or emails but I mean in situations like @snoWYmonkey describes where they distribute based on population but there are unused doses in areas where people are too skeptical to sign up. But there's no real way to do that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
In MA it was announced today that 60+ and all of the other essential industry workers (which actually includes a ton of categories) are eligible as of Monday. Then April 5th is 55+ and anyone with 1 comorbidity, and April 19 (Patriot's Day since we celebrate that here in MA) everyone else in general 16+. Eligibility obviously doesn't mean you are going to be able to find an appointment, but we'll see. I'm skeptical given how many people in the currently eligible categories haven't gotten theirs yet. They are banking on recent discussions with the federal government promising a large increase in vaccine supply "soon"..

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
In some states, there is active outreach into the more rural communities. That's one part of the Federal mass vaccination programs that are being set up. The decision of where those are being located is directly related to the likelihood of have moore people in the region who don't have easy access to healthcare, whether is lack of hospitals or lack of transportation.

Some churches are sponsoring vaccination clinics. There are Native American tribes in the west besides Alaska who are taking the vaccine to where people live, instead of hoping they sign up for appointments.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In MA it was announced today that 60+ and all of the other essential industry workers (which actually includes a ton of categories) are eligible as of Monday. Then April 5th is 55+ and anyone with 1 comorbidity, and April 19 (Patriot's Day since we celebrate that here in MA) everyone else in general 16+. Eligibility obviously doesn't mean you are going to be able to find an appointment, but we'll see. I'm skeptical given how many people in the currently eligible categories haven't gotten theirs yet. They are banking on recent discussions with the federal government promising a large increase in vaccine supply "soon"..

This feels very ambitious given it doesn't sound like you all are much ahead of PA, and we're still in Phase 1A going nowhere fast. I guess it's good to open it up to more people, but also does it matter if nobody can get an appointment. Although, there is something to be said just for being allowed to have a chance at getting an appointment. I'd certainly love to be able to try to get one, if I had the option.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This feels very ambitious given it doesn't sound like you all are much ahead of PA, and we're still in Phase 1A going nowhere fast. I guess it's good to open it up to more people, but also does it matter if nobody can get an appointment. Although, there is something to be said just for being allowed to have a chance at getting an appointment. I'd certainly love to be able to try to get one, if I had the option.

My thoughts exactly! Being eligible and able to hunt for appointments would be nice though. Also, the state has some sites you can now preregister for and will be placed in a queue and contacted when you can make an appointment. Others are separate outside of that still though, so there will be constant hunting!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only issue with opening it up to more people is it kinda screws over people in the earlier groups who haven't had a chance to get one yet, and who, in theory, should be more at risk.

I put myself on an "interested list" with my county, but I don't think that does much other than send me a notification when I'm eligible. I don't think it puts me in a queue and gets me any advantage as far as getting an appointment. Although, at this point it sounds like I'll be getting the J&J vaccine and it will likely be at some specific vaccination location for "frontline workers" if how they've handled the teachers J&J vaccines has been any indication.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga