• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

Christy

Angel Diva
Should we start a pool to see who will be last (of people who want it)? I put my money on me.

All the scuttlebutt right now is that if you start volunteering, they sometimes give left over doses to volunteers. I already have 2 volunteer jobs though!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm going next Thursday March 18 for vaccine #2 !

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m up next Thursday. Hoping for limited side effects. I have it scheduled to maximize recovery time and be able to ski later. :smile:
Me too. Next Thursday.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Should we start a pool to see who will be last (of people who want it)? I put my money on me.

All the scuttlebutt right now is that if you start volunteering, they sometimes give left over doses to volunteers. I already have 2 volunteer jobs though!
At the mass vaccine site here in town the volunteers qualify for it after 20 hours of work. They were planning on 8000 people going through there today.

I wasn’t expecting to get it until later, but my boss was talking to someone and vaccine/food service came up and next thing I knew he was calling me to say that if I could get there before 6:00 I was registered.

I still think there are others who should have been before me, but my age group was coming up on the 22nd anyway, so I'm not going to stress about being a little early.

MissySki

Angel Diva
At the mass vaccine site here in town the volunteers qualify for it after 20 hours of work. They were planning on 8000 people going through there today.

I wasn’t expecting to get it until later, but my boss was talking to someone and vaccine/food service came up and next thing I knew he was calling me to say that if I could get there before 6:00 I was registered.

I still think there are others who should have been before me, but my age group was coming up on the 22nd anyway, so I'm not going to stress about being a little early.

I don’t think you should stress about it at all. At this point, if it’s offered to you for some reason you’d be crazy not to grab it.

Jilly

Staff member
So Public Health in Ontario is doing a pilot project in the county next door. I have my cottage property there. So tomorrow I'm going to try for an appointment. It's the AZ shot, but it's a shot. It could be another 2 months if I wait here.

newboots

Angel Diva
So after
My second shot today, I’ve been laying around wondering if I will have the @SallyCat side effects or the Bobbi Frye version (zero side effects) (you don’t know her). Now it’s been 8 hours and I have a trace of a headache and a wave of nausea. My arm hurts, of course, even though I’ve been swinging it around all afternoon. Probably BECAUSE I’ve been swinging it around.

The worst part is, I can probably talk myself into feeling truly wretched!

#hypochondriacsunite

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
At least where I am, there are multiple providers who - for operational reasons - have extra doses of vaccine at least once/week. I told all my friends to just loiter and try to get that first shot. Better to snag a dose that would be wasted than to let it go... even a single dose is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and that is HUGE.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
At least where I am, there are multiple providers who - for operational reasons - have extra doses of vaccine at least once/week. I told all my friends to just loiter and try to get that first shot. Better to snag a dose that would be wasted than to let it go... even a single dose is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and that is HUGE.
I haven’t heard that. Curious if you have link. I’m getting #2 next Thursday though.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get my second shot March 22. I had the Moderna and afer having a sore arm for several days I experienced what is called 'covid arm', a large red itchy patch at the injection site that appears 5-10 days or so after the shot. Harmless but itchy! (benedryl works). Hope the second shot will not be worse.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I haven’t heard that. Curious if you have link. I’m getting #2 next Thursday though.
So glad you asked, because when I went back to the source article I had read (I think, I used my history) they had issued a correction. And I would have been deluded!

Corrected data is 74% effective at reducing hospitalization, and here is the CORRECT source data, and a summary article that I thought did a nice job.
NEJM: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765
SUMMARY: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...r-covid-vaccine-finds-high-2-dose-good-1-dose

For me, given the relatively low hosp rate for my age/situation, 74% is material.... not 100, but close enough to feel relief. Shot 2 3/24

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So glad you asked, because when I went back to the source article I had read (I think, I used my history) they had issued a correction. And I would have been deluded!

Corrected data is 74% effective at reducing hospitalization, and here is the CORRECT source data, and a summary article that I thought did a nice job.
SUMMARY: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...r-covid-vaccine-finds-high-2-dose-good-1-dose

For me, given the relatively low hosp rate for my age/situation, 74% is material.... not 100, but close enough to feel relief. Shot 2 3/24
Thanks so much for providing the links.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The upshot of that second article:

The effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccination in preventing infection:
46% at 14 to 20 days after the first dose
and 92% at 7+ days after the second dose

Of infected patients:
57% were symptomatic
3.7% required hospitalization
2.2% had severe illness
0.4% died

Numbers of people mean more than percentages to me since I can think of them as individuals with families and friends. I wish they had given those numbers in that article.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet ... I agree, the numbers are really important. And that's why we really shut everything down in our family and friend circle. Even 0.5% is terrible if you know 200 infected people.

And I really was terrified of being the carrier of virus to anyone I loved or cared for.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m up next Thursday. Hoping for limited side effects. I have it scheduled to maximize recovery time and be able to ski later. :smile:

And of course I wasn’t paying attention on the date and did not cancel the 5 o’clock Pilates class I teach. Someone has already signed up for it, a first time client to Providence Pilates! And it’s a class that only a couple of us teach so I can’t really find anyone to replace me! Wish me luck on feeling fine an hour later and making it home in time from getting the shot! :doh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna