• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

MissySki

Angel Diva
So - depends on your shopping style, but I've had great luck finding screaming deals on clothing at https://www.2ndswing.com/ I mean like 70-90% off on occasion.... Obviously it's generally previous year, and or has the logo of a resort embroidered on it or something, but I'm all about the deal hunting and don't mind. I also like scouring the clearance racks at our local golf stores...

But that said - I've found golf clothing to be EXTREMELY comfortable and now own a lot of JoFit golf pants that double as work pants. They're stretchy but have a material that's not clingy, and look professional (for a business casual office anyway). (I've repeatedly gotten asked why I was so dressed up for work and was wearing cute golf pants...) And I've found golf skirts to be cute and comfy and practical and basically live in them in summer. The tops - those I basically just use for golf, but you can probably find some cheap enough on clearance that you can buy more than one at a pretty reasonable price. I don't know what your weather is like, but I ended up with sleeveless, short sleeve and long sleeve variations, and a rain jacket that I'm capable of a golf swing in. I ended up splurging on a nice one before our trip to Scotland and adore it. (And it poured rain on us while golfing in Scotland - go figure!) I'd say the main thing is making sure you are comfortable and unrestricted in your swing with what you're wearing. I've found some bras work better than others too but I'm sure that's very individual!

I did get golf shoes right off the bat, but again - clearance rack, so it wasn't a major investment. I upgraded to something nicer later on.

Thank you, I will definitely take a look at that website!

I'm not at all concerned with having the latest trends, so happy to have things from prior seasons etc. I'm in Massachusetts, so the weather can kind of be all over the place. In the real majority of summer it can be hot and humid, so skirts and sleeveless sound lovely. Though understood that I'll need some variation for cooler days etc.

altagirl

Staff member
Thank you, I will definitely take a look at that website!

I'm not at all concerned with having the latest trends, so happy to have things from prior seasons etc. I'm in Massachusetts, so the weather can kind of be all over the place. In the real majority of summer it can be hot and humid, so skirts and sleeveless sound lovely. Though understood that I'll need some variation for cooler days etc.

Yeah, you can certainly just start with a skirt and sleeveless! I'd throw a warmer/waterproof layer in a pocket of your golf bag. Usually it's hot and sunny here in Utah, but I know I've started out thinking it was clear and had the weather turn, and you've got a place to haul around extra gear so why not?

And - you probably have some sort of base layer for skiing that you can throw on top if it's just cold. I'd test out whatever rain jacket/windbreaker kind of things you already own - you may have something that works well - but a nice golf jacket usually has stretch panels in it and/or is designed for that movement. My main advice with the warmer layers is just to test first. Otherwise it's an.... entertaining day golfing when you realize your movement is restricted and you're either going to freeze to death or have no hope whatsoever of replicating your normal swing.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yeah, you can certainly just start with a skirt and sleeveless! I'd throw a warmer/waterproof layer in a pocket of your golf bag. Usually it's hot and sunny here in Utah, but I know I've started out thinking it was clear and had the weather turn, and you've got a place to haul around extra gear so why not?

And - you probably have some sort of base layer for skiing that you can throw on top if it's just cold. I'd test out whatever rain jacket/windbreaker kind of things you already own - you may have something that works well - but a nice golf jacket usually has stretch panels in it and/or is designed for that movement. My main advice with the warmer layers is just to test first. Otherwise it's an.... entertaining day golfing when you realize your movement is restricted and you're either going to freeze to death or have no hope whatsoever of replicating your normal swing.

Very good points! I happen to have wide shoulders for my size so in addition to having trouble with finding well fitting long sleeved attire in general I can imagine some things definitely being to restrictive for that full range of motion as well.

altagirl

Staff member
Oh - the other thing that might not be obvious is if you're looking for gloves is to know that "Cadet" sizing exists in golf gloves - I've never seen that in any other types of gloves, but it makes so much sense.

So there are normal Mens and Womens versions of gloves but in the men's sizing there is also Cadet on some brands, which is for wider hands with shorter fingers. Which I know I was a bit mystified by when I was shopping so I thought I would throw it out there.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh - the other thing that might not be obvious is if you're looking for gloves is to know that "Cadet" sizing exists in golf gloves - I've never seen that in any other types of gloves, but it makes so much sense.

So there are normal Mens and Womens versions of gloves but in the men's sizing there is also Cadet on some brands, which is for wider hands with shorter fingers. Which I know I was a bit mystified by when I was shopping so I thought I would throw it out there.

Ah interesting, I wouldn't have known what that was about at all at all! I'll definitely have to try some gloves on as I have very long skinny fingers, so I'm usually a Large or X-Large women's size or a Medium to Large Men's depending on the particular brand.

elemmac

Angel Diva
How did you get started with golfing attire? I feel I will need some pieces to start for sure after that experience and don't want to wear the same thing every week to a clinic, but don't want to go crazy buying a ton of stuff obviously.

TJMaxx and Marshalls is where I found most of my first (and current) golf attire. I ended up buying like 3 or 4 shirts at once because they were such a good deal (a sleeveless, then a couple short sleeve). I also used to wear them as summer attire in the office (back when I went to an office regularly). Everything Altagirl said about comfort of golf skirts, shorts and pants is spot on from my experience....super comfortable and many styles you can wear elsewhere as well. I wear shorter golf shorts for a good chunk of the summer. Then I already owned many 1/4 or 1/2 zips for skiing that I use golfing on colder days or cold mornings/evenings. If I need something waterproof, I wear my regular rain gear that I use hiking.

MissySki

Angel Diva
TJMaxx and Marshalls is where I found most of my first (and current) golf attire. I ended up buying like 3 or 4 shirts at once because they were such a good deal (a sleeveless, then a couple short sleeve). I also used to wear them as summer attire in the office (back when I went to an office regularly). Everything Altagirl said about comfort of golf skirts, shorts and pants is spot on from my experience....super comfortable and many styles you can wear elsewhere as well. I wear shorter golf shorts for a good chunk of the summer. Then I already owned many 1/4 or 1/2 zips for skiing that I use golfing on colder days or cold mornings/evenings. If I need something waterproof, I wear my regular rain gear that I use hiking.

Ahh I didn’t think of TJ Maxx and Marshalls!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have a practice net? This looks kind of cool and gets really great reviews. I know I'll need to practice swinging a lot, so thought it might be nice to have something like this for the yard rather than having to go to a driving range etc. all the time.

https://sportnets.com/products/golf...IVX4eB0c4Vu9Qt-tPVECXFH604e716xcaAiduEALw_wcB
I have a 10x7 practice net, $59.99 off Amazon. Golf mat was from Costco, $350.

As for clothes, Amazon basics has some polo tops and golf pants that are of good quality and reasonably priced. I wear Lululemon In Flux crops or Dance Studio pants/crops for golf. I used to buy custom gloves from FootJoy that are made to my hand specs (but minimum 12/order) but have found ZeroFriction fits very well too. Best deal at Costco, 4 for ~$36.

Last edited:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Costco has a smaller one (same brand) for $250 now.
https://www.costco.com/country-club-elite-golf-mats.product.100034931.html
Not all mats are created equal but if you plan on hitting off a lawn, then a smaller mat will suffice. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086QPTS56/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_EQW2B2DDYDW5GMWP5R0D

When practicing in the backyard, you are really just working on contact since you cannot see ball flights, so I’d suggest getting some golf impact tape, or use foot powder spray (best deal at $1/dollar stores) as a cheaper alternative. You may also want to use foam or plastic balls instead of real balls.

When you are ready to play, you will need golf balls. Since you will likely be losing quite a few balls, don’t spend too much money on nice balls (unless you have money to burn). Most people cannot tell the difference between a $1 v $4 ball or use the ball to it’s potential. But stay away from Nitro balls, they are cheap but also crappy. Costco has good Callaway superhot or hexsoft for $24/2 dozens, or buy used balls from Lostgolfballs.com. If you become a single handicap, then the ball may make a difference.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
This thread is fantastic with great advice, especially since I am getting back into golf next month after 20 years away. I really like this advice: "The book suggests starting with a half-set, meaning the odd numbers. Then trading up after a couple years." That just makes so much sense to me to not spend a ton of money at first until I learn more about my game and what I would need. I am in Massachusetts and I think we have a golf warehouse type store near me so I will definitely take the time to get measured to see what clubs would work for me. As far as attire, I have been buying Alpine Design shorts from Dicks because they are really comfortable and are a bit stretchy in all the right places. I think they look like proper golf attire so now I need to be on the lookout the next time I am at TJ Maxx for golf shirts. Thanks!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you purchased clubs yet? I personally don’t think you will need a full set of clubs to start out. You can buy individually to start out, like a wedge, iron, hybrid, wood and a putter. You don’t need full 14 clubs from the get go and can always add clubs along the way once you are good enough to have distance gaps that you need to close. Check out Callawaypreowned.com. Prices/conditions are great and you can swap used clubs easily.
And you likely don’t need a fitting from the get go as suggested, UNLESS your wrist to floor measurement is shorter/longer than normal, which you can measure on your own to get an idea of where you stand. When you adjust length, you have to adjust angle.
Golf is not like skiing. You don’t get fitted until you have a repeatable swing. It is a waste of time and money to get fitted when you don’t know how to swing consistently. Real professional fitting takes into consideration many factors of your swing to fit clubs to you. Without “a” swing, there is nothing to fit you with. Though plenty of people fall for it from the beginning thinking it makes sense - to some it does, but likely not to most. It is also not like skiing that you buy clubs to “grow into”. When it is time for an upgrade, it is usually because your swing speed has increased to a level that requires a change of shaft. There are a gazillion different shafts within each flex category that there is no way you can predict, as a newbie, which exact combo you will need once you get to that level. No “advanced” clubs out there are made to change shafts and it is not something you want to do anyway. Length can be changed easily, lie angle for most clubs have “some” room for tweaking but not shafts. There is no reason to buy more than you can handle and try to “grow” into the clubs. Your clubs should fit what your game is NOW, not you trying to grow to fit the clubs. You also do not need to upgrade even if you can. Golf is about precision more than distance. As long as you can make solid contact with the club face and hit the distance and direction you intend to hit, you are fine.
I started out with a set of Adams women’s clubs as a beginner. $400 from Costco and I only used 7 of the 14 clubs that year (and I played roughly 100 rounds with only those 7 clubs). At the end of my first year, I got a fitting and was fitted into Callaway Steelheads irons and XR woods/Driver, all 1”short 3*flat, mainly because my arms are long for my height. I was a mid 20 handicapper starting out with those game improvement clubs. I am currently a 5 handicap and am still using the same irons. I have recently upgraded my woods and driver to Taylormade SIMs, but it was because of the need to upgrade the shafts so I got fitted to a different brand at the same time. But I kept my game improvement irons because I have accuracy with those clubs. Sure, I can gain distance if I change my shafts and am good enough to game blades now instead of cavity backs, but there is no need to do so because I have precision with my old clubs. I also still only play with 12 clubs today instead of the full 14.

Last edited:

Peppermint

Angel Diva
So if I started out buying individual clubs like a wedge, iron, hybrid, wood and a putter, which one would you consider the most important and spend the most money on? Also, is a hybrid a nice to have club or do people use hybrids in place of a driver?

MissySki

Angel Diva
This thread is fantastic with great advice, especially since I am getting back into golf next month after 20 years away. I really like this advice: "The book suggests starting with a half-set, meaning the odd numbers. Then trading up after a couple years." That just makes so much sense to me to not spend a ton of money at first until I learn more about my game and what I would need. I am in Massachusetts and I think we have a golf warehouse type store near me so I will definitely take the time to get measured to see what clubs would work for me. As far as attire, I have been buying Alpine Design shorts from Dicks because they are really comfortable and are a bit stretchy in all the right places. I think they look like proper golf attire so now I need to be on the lookout the next time I am at TJ Maxx for golf shirts. Thanks!

I'm in central MA! Are you planning to do a clinic or anything to get going again?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So if I started out buying individual clubs like a wedge, iron, hybrid, wood and a putter, which one would you consider the most important and spend the most money on? Also, is a hybrid a nice to have club or do people use hybrids in place of a driver?
People usually use a long wood, like a 3w or 5w, in place of a driver. Hybrids usually replace long irons.
Note that the numbers with these clubs are standard across brands but not their actual lofts. For example, my old Callaway 3w is 16* but my new TM 3w is 14*. This is a big difference since most ladies need drivers with 14*+ lofts (I use 8* on my driver), so a 14* 3w may not have enough loft to replace a high loft driver.
To choose just a few to start with, I’d start from the most common iron, one that most instructors like to see when assessing one’s swing, a 7i. Once you have the loft of the 7i, then you go up and down by varying the lofts. Irons are about 5* apart, I’d get a 7 and a 9 so there is room to add an 8 when needed. Hybrids are roughly 3* apart, most start with a 6h or 5h, then play around with loft, same for woods (usually start with a 5w).
For wedges, people usually have lob/sand/pitching wedges, again the loft varies. If I can only pick one to start with, I’d start with a ~59* (lob wedge for me). And as you start getting a feel with it, you can add another one with more/less loft.
The 7 clubs that I used the most out of my starter set as a beginner were: putter, lob wedge (59*), pitching wedge (44*), 8i (34*), 6h (30*), 9w (23*) and 5w (19*). With practice, you can get different distances by using 1/4,1/2,3/4 and full swings, so you don’t need every consecutive clubs.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know what my problem is (well other than not being very good or experienced overall) but I just cannot get any consistency with my hybrids. I bought one that seemed great in the shop, and I've had a few good streaks with it at the range or TopGolf, but it's just way more inconsistent than my other clubs. And then at TopGolf, a friend had a different one that I tried and just was killing it with... so I bought that too and... same thing. Just insanely erratic. But I can hit almost as far (but you know - straight and consistent) with my 5 iron and that is undoubtedly my favorite club. During private lessons, my instructor rolled his eyes and was like, that's ridiculous. No one likes 5 irons anymore - hit it for me. And I did, over and over and over with lovely straight shots and he was like well... Yeah. Alrighty then, that's your club. But I'm still pulling out the hybrids at the driving range to try and figure them out. Every shop and woman in our league that I've talked to LOVE their hybrids - supposedly because they're so much "easier" to be consistent with. And yet they are one thing I cannot seem to figure out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna