• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know what my problem is (well other than not being very good or experienced overall) but I just cannot get any consistency with my hybrids. I bought one that seemed great in the shop, and I've had a few good streaks with it at the range or TopGolf, but it's just way more inconsistent than my other clubs. And then at TopGolf, a friend had a different one that I tried and just was killing it with... so I bought that too and... same thing. Just insanely erratic. But I can hit almost as far (but you know - straight and consistent) with my 5 iron and that is undoubtedly my favorite club. During private lessons, my instructor rolled his eyes and was like, that's ridiculous. No one likes 5 irons anymore - hit it for me. And I did, over and over and over with lovely straight shots and he was like well... Yeah. Alrighty then, that's your club. But I'm still pulling out the hybrids at the driving range to try and figure them out. Every shop and woman in our league that I've talked to LOVE their hybrids - supposedly because they're so much "easier" to be consistent with. And yet they are one thing I cannot seem to figure out.

There is absolutely no reason to force yourself to use a hybrid just because others love it. I know many ladies who only use irons, no hybrids or woods. I also know golfers who only use hybrids and nothing else. Every golfer is different and since golf is such an individual sport, what other people like to use should not matter to you, as long as you have your go to club. What clubs people prefer does not make them a better or worse golfer compared to others who use something else. In the end, it is your score that counts (if keeping a handicap is your thing).
It’s like some use overlap, some use interlock, some use 10-finger. What is “popular” does not matter to you at all as long as you have one that works for you. My golf buddy is also a single handicap and she loves interlock, but that doesn’t mean I should force myself to use interlock because it works for her.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I don't know what my problem is (well other than not being very good or experienced overall) but I just cannot get any consistency with my hybrids. I bought one that seemed great in the shop, and I've had a few good streaks with it at the range or TopGolf, but it's just way more inconsistent than my other clubs. And then at TopGolf, a friend had a different one that I tried and just was killing it with... so I bought that too and... same thing. Just insanely erratic. But I can hit almost as far (but you know - straight and consistent) with my 5 iron and that is undoubtedly my favorite club. During private lessons, my instructor rolled his eyes and was like, that's ridiculous. No one likes 5 irons anymore - hit it for me. And I did, over and over and over with lovely straight shots and he was like well... Yeah. Alrighty then, that's your club. But I'm still pulling out the hybrids at the driving range to try and figure them out. Every shop and woman in our league that I've talked to LOVE their hybrids - supposedly because they're so much "easier" to be consistent with. And yet they are one thing I cannot seem to figure out.

Omg this! I hate the 5 hybrid in my set with the fire of a thousand suns. I still make myself try it on the driving range every time. But I just cannot make it work and also get better results with my iron.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Joining this thread, because my friends and I were discussing what summer hobby we want to pick up now that our kids want no part of us. ;) I used to golf, have clubs and really enjoy it. Has anything changed in the last 15-20 years?

FWIW, my clubs have full metal shafts because I have a fairly strong swing, but with a slice, and the metal dampens the slice.

:rotf:

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, I will definitely take a look at that website!

I'm not at all concerned with having the latest trends, so happy to have things from prior seasons etc. I'm in Massachusetts, so the weather can kind of be all over the place. In the real majority of summer it can be hot and humid, so skirts and sleeveless sound lovely. Though understood that I'll need some variation for cooler days etc.
Layers layers layers! As the season gets started, I usually wear golf pants or baselayer tights with golf skirt/running skirt, baselayer top & vest or pullover (from my ski wardrobe). As for golf pants, JoFit pants are great, as are Swing Control; although any pants/capris with a little stretch will do! Tail is another great brand of golf clothing; they have some good online sales from time to time & Dicks carries their stuff. I order almost of my stuff online (again, the stores just don’t have a great selection of women’s stuff, but TJMaxx & Marshall’s can have some finds! As for shoes, so many of the golf shoes are like sneakers now, so you will be okay with sneakers to get started. Ecco makes a super comfy golf shoe, but they can be pricey. Nike has some great ones as well ....and places like Carl’s Golfland online can have some good sales! Happy shopping!!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For shoes, you can probably start with sneakers for now. Spikes on golf shoes provide lateral stability during your swing and are good for wet or sloped conditions. But spikeless golf shoes can still give you similar traction - once you learn to swing correctly and can power your swing with your lower body, you will need some traction on your feet to avoid slipping. Golf shoes usually have a wider base for stability and also provide more foot support than sneakers, especially on the sides of feet for the twisting motion you will eventually develop for the follow thru. If you play alot of golf and don’t have correct supportive shoes, your feet and ankles will hurt. I only wear Ecco shoes - they are expensive but worth it. Some brands are known to have more narrow toe boxes, some thicker sole, some narrow width, etc. I’d try a few different brands to see which fits you the best.
You should also check with the course that you will be playing at on what shoes they allow. Most public courses don’t care, but resort courses or private clubs usually have some dress codes. My club wants golf shoes only - they prefer spikeless but will allow soft spikes.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I'm in central MA! Are you planning to do a clinic or anything to get going again?
Oh ok, I live in Framingham which is in the metro west area. I am joining a league with some girls I play hockey with but a clinic would probably be a good idea. Do you know of any good ones?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh ok, I live in Framingham which is in the metro west area. I am joining a league with some girls I play hockey with but a clinic would probably be a good idea. Do you know of any good ones?

I'm in Uxbridge, so not too far away! :smile:

That's awesome that you have a group to join up with for a league! Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

I don't have any specific recommendations in the area for clinics based off of reviews etc. yet. The one I plan to start with is a women's 4 week around 3 miles from my house at Blissful Meadows. It's purely based on convenience with how close it is versus how good it might be, though I'm hoping it will be well run by their pro as well!

@Sparky had also linked this site upthread which seems to be a good resource: https://operation36.golf I inquired with the site closest to me on their offerings, but haven't heard back yet. There is only really one course within a reasonable distance to me while there seem to be more near your area. A bit of a dead zone for their program in my area it seems. If I were still commuting into the city for work I'd have more options along my route, but now that I'm working from home I'm a bit pickier on how far I want to drive every week. (except for skiing of course haha)

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in Uxbridge, so not too far away! :smile:

That's awesome that you have a group to join up with for a league! Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

I don't have any specific recommendations in the area for clinics based off of reviews etc. yet. The one I plan to start with is a women's 4 week around 3 miles from my house at Blissful Meadows. It's purely based on convenience with how close it is versus how good it might be, though I'm hoping it will be well run by their pro as well!

@Sparky had also linked this site upthread which seems to be a good resource: https://operation36.golf I inquired with the site closest to me on their offerings, but haven't heard back yet. There is only really one course within a reasonable distance to me while there seem to be more near your area. A bit of a dead zone for their program in my area it seems. If I were still commuting into the city for work I'd have more options along my route, but now that I'm working from home I'm a bit pickier on how far I want to drive every week. (except for skiing of course haha)
I know that Juniper Hill in Northboro used to have clinics (I took lessons there years ago & their teaching center was great). Also, Highfields in Grafton used to do the Operation 36 & they do a ready set golf program that a few of my friends have done to get into the basics, etc.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know that Juniper Hill in Northboro used to have clinics (I took lessons there years ago & their teaching center was great). Also, Highfields in Grafton used to do the Operation 36 & they do a ready set golf program that a few of my friends have done to get into the basics, etc.

I haven't seen anything on Northboro, thanks for the tip I'll take a look!

Highfields is the one that I submitted an inquiry for with the Operations 36 site, I'll have to try again as I haven't been contacted back. Maybe it's still a little too early and I'm just being impatient though haha.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't seen anything on Northboro, thanks for the tip I'll take a look!

Highfields is the one that I submitted an inquiry for with the Operations 36 site, I'll have to try again as I haven't been contacted back. Maybe it's still a little too early and I'm just being impatient though haha.
I would call Highfields ....they aren’t always the most tech saavy. They are also just getting ready to open the course this week, so they may be all jammed up with that ..... Also, Cyprian Keys, Wachusett Country Club & Blackstone National might be other options for clinics as the season gets underway.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So if I started out buying individual clubs like a wedge, iron, hybrid, wood and a putter, which one would you consider the most important and spend the most money on? Also, is a hybrid a nice to have club or do people use hybrids in place of a driver?
I ended up with a hybrid that I used a lot. Took a while to find a putter that I liked. It's the one club that I ended up buying more than one, including some that were used.

I never got to the point that using a driver was worth it. I preferred sticking with a 3W and work on accuracy over distance. Only played somewhat regularly for a few years.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Google golf club sizing to get an idea of what club length is right for you. Here’s one:

http://www.agxgolf.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13

If I'm 5'4" with ~32" wrist to floor measurement which is -.5" offset.. that seems to indicate I'm right in between the standard women's size and petite right? Since petite is 1" shorter than standard. If that is accurate and assuming as a beginner you wouldn't necessarily have a set that can be customized, is it better to go a little too short or a little too long in that case? I plan to go to a shop sometime very soon to discuss with them and get recommendations, but curious what some divas' thoughts are on this. When I had just spoken to someone on the phone regarding coming in to look at clubs he had asked how tall I was and when I said 5'4" was like oh yeah you're going to be right in between regular and petite ladies most likely but we'll see when you're here in person. If it's a toss up I'm not sure how to decide that, or perhaps it just doesn't matter so much to start?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think a little too long (easier to choke up than not have enough length. ). But someone with more expertise may know better.

That’s what I was thinking too, actually hoping because there is much more selection in the non-petite category from what I’ve seen.

kiki

Angel Diva
@MissySki
To start off with a standard set should be fine and will usually be a lot more economical. Don’t overthink this, it’s more about developing your swing than the equipment itself with golf, more so than skiing. When does your program start/how much time do you have for shopping? Costco often has really good deals in standard sets in the spring.

did you find some clothes?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm 5'4" with ~32" wrist to floor measurement which is -.5" offset.. that seems to indicate I'm right in between the standard women's size and petite right? Since petite is 1" shorter than standard. If that is accurate and assuming as a beginner you wouldn't necessarily have a set that can be customized, is it better to go a little too short or a little too long in that case? I plan to go to a shop sometime very soon to discuss with them and get recommendations, but curious what some divas' thoughts are on this. When I had just spoken to someone on the phone regarding coming in to look at clubs he had asked how tall I was and when I said 5'4" was like oh yeah you're going to be right in between regular and petite ladies most likely but we'll see when you're here in person. If it's a toss up I'm not sure how to decide that, or perhaps it just doesn't matter so much to start?
I’d go standard women’s length and choke down on the club before cutting it short or going for petite. Start with that, learn the basics, then talk to the instructor to see if the clubs are working out. You don’t need to customize the fit as a newbie. Cannot do a fitting without a consistent swing since proper fitting sessions will require you to hit many balls continuously. Have you tried talking to the pros who will be teaching at the clinic if they have clubs to lend to you? You will not need a full 14 club set in that 4 weeks and pros always have used clubs lying around - just make sure they give you graphite women to start off.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki
To start off with a standard set should be fine and will usually be a lot more economical. Don’t overthink this, it’s more about developing your swing than the equipment itself with golf, more so than skiing. When does your program start/how much time do you have for shopping? Costco often has really good deals in standard sets in the spring.

did you find some clothes?

They haven’t set the date yet, they confirmed this when I called last week. Last time they held it was pre-Covid in 2019, so if they stay consistent that was in early June. So way too long to mull things over I guess, and not a huge rush to actually go shopping. Haha I want to get out and do that, it’s just hard to schedule since I’m away skiing on the weekends still. Maybe that’s good to keep Costco as an option too.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’d go standard women’s length and choke down on the club before cutting it short or going for petite. Start with that, learn the basics, then talk to the instructor to see if the clubs are working out. You don’t need to customize the fit as a newbie. Cannot do a fitting without a consistent swing since proper fitting sessions will require you to hit many balls continuously. Have you tried talking to the pros who will be teaching at the clinic if they have clubs to lend to you? You will not need a full 14 club set in that 4 weeks and pros always have used clubs lying around - just make sure they give you graphite women to start off.

I did not ask about that, I will since that’d be good to know. The last time I did a 1 hour clinic through my company last September the clubs they had us using were mens. The length and weight felt awkward and I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have women’s since it was all women who signed up. Perhaps they didn’t have any?? That was a different course than where I plan to go this time, but I guess I had it in my head after that that I would like my own. Also to be able to practice at home in between the weekly sessions.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did not ask about that, I will since that’d be good to know. The last time I did a 1 hour clinic through my company last September the clubs they had us using were mens. The length and weight felt awkward and I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have women’s since it was all women who signed up. Perhaps they didn’t have any?? That was a different course than where I plan to go this time, but I guess I had it in my head after that that I would like my own. Also to be able to practice at home in between the weekly sessions.
There are courses that don’t carry women’s clubs or only have a few sets versus a full inventory for men. Women do play with men’s club but it is better for a beginner to start with something shorter, lighter and more flexible until you see a need to change that. I borrowed a few clubs from my very first instructor, but he gave me men’s standard clubs. They were too heavy and stiff and I had such a difficult time even doing half swings. So far, the only women I know who started with men’s clubs were college softball and tennis players or someone who is alot taller/bigger than 5’4”.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna