• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I just emailed Juniper Hill to inquire about a series of 3 1 hour private lessons. I think that would be a good start. I will just use my husbands clubs for now and see what the pro thinks about my game before I start to purchase any clubs of my own. I am 5-6 so I think mens clubs should be fine for lessons and I can see if they would be suitable to play with for my league.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just emailed Juniper Hill to inquire about a series of 3 1 hour private lessons. I think that would be a good start. I will just use my husbands clubs for now and see what the pro thinks about my game before I start to purchase any clubs of my own. I am 5-6 so I think mens clubs should be fine for lessons and I can see if they would be suitable to play with for my league.
You may want to try 30-min lessons later. You usually cannot be working on too many things when it comes to a golf swing and 1-hr is plenty of time for a golfer and can become counterproductive. Make sure you stay after the lesson to hit more balls so you can give feedbacks to the instructor at the next lesson. Have fun!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva

I had looked at their site, but couldn’t find anything about clinics. Did you specifically want privates versus group lessons? If you end up doing it definitely let us know how it goes there. :thumbsup:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm now wondering if me trying to play with a standard ladies set really made learning much more difficult than it needed to be. I'll have to check my wrist to floor measurement.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm now wondering if me trying to play with a standard ladies set really made learning much more difficult than it needed to be. I'll have to check my wrist to floor measurement.

You did clinics right? Do the instructors give feedback on the equipment you’re using during those?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You did clinics right? Do the instructors give feedback on the equipment you’re using during those?

I did do two years of Get Golf Ready with a PGA pro. He basically said the clubs were not great other than being lightweight and having a soft flex, but he tried to focus on a swing that worked for me naturally in spite of the clubs. He basically said once I got more consistent, I should go get fitted. I had taken a couple lessons with a golf instructor prior to him who had tried to change my swing to adapt to the ill fitting clubs, and what a mess that was. lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So we just checked my wrist to floor measurement and it's 30".

marzNC

Angel Diva
I bought a half-set from a local shop and used it for a few months after I decided I was going to play enough to make the investment worthwhile. Ultimately had the clubs shortened by an inch or two. Don't really remember the details.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I took a series of 3 lessons, one of the advantages of the process was the pro told me to not do the next lesson until I had a chance to practice. He didn't care if that was in a week or a month. Pretty sure the lessons were 45 min.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought a half-set from a local shop and used it for a few months after I decided I was going to play enough to make the investment worthwhile. Ultimately had the clubs shortened by an inch or two. Don't really remember the details.

I'm actually wondering if I'd be better off getting some fitted junior/women's clubs and just owning fewer clubs. I use so few of them, anyhow. We were playing around with Ping's online calculators and in the women's irons they take off 1.5" and in the junior irons they add 1.5" so it's literally the same no man's land I'm in for ski gear. A little too big for most kid's gear, but too small for most women's gear.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm actually wondering if I'd be better off getting some fitted junior/women's clubs and just owning fewer clubs. I use so few of them, anyhow. We were playing around with Ping's online calculators and in the women's irons they take off 1.5" and in the junior irons they add 1.5" so it's literally the same no man's land I'm in for ski gear. A little too big for most kid's gear, but too small for most women's gear.
You can add length to the shaft if needed. Talk to a shop about the pros and cons of it.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I had looked at their site, but couldn’t find anything about clinics. Did you specifically want privates versus group lessons? If you end up doing it definitely let us know how it goes there. :thumbsup:
@MissySki, if you go on the Juniper Hill site, click Teaching Center, Player Development, you will see information on what they offer. The do have an adult group series that is one hour each time and lasts 5 weeks for $140. I feel I would get more out of 3 private lessons rather than 5 group lessons IMO. I will let you know what I end up doing.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s a great program; if Ken is still there, he is a wonderful teacher, very patient & not too technical! They have a great practice center that is away from the course, so it’s very welcoming to new golfers! Good luck!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki, if you go on the Juniper Hill site, click Teaching Center, Player Development, you will see information on what they offer. The do have an adult group series that is one hour each time and lasts 5 weeks for $140. I feel I would get more out of 3 private lessons rather than 5 group lessons IMO. I will let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks, apparently I didn't navigate the site well! I'll go back through.

Does anyone in MA know anything about the program at Maplegate Country Club in the Franklin/Bellingham area? That's another one that I found which is around 25 minutes from me, and they actually seem to have more ladies sessions than co-ed options for clinics. It's 5 weeks and 90 minutes per week which also seems like more than most I've seen that are 4-5 weeks for 60 minutes.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Ah interesting, I wouldn't have known what that was about at all at all! I'll definitely have to try some gloves on as I have very long skinny fingers, so I'm usually a Large or X-Large women's size or a Medium to Large Men's depending on the particular brand.
Buyer Beware! I ONLY buy synthetic golf gloves -- NEVER "leather" -- why? Because the type of "leather" that golf gloves are made of (unless you can be sure they're made in the USA) is often DOG skin! I try not to buy anything leather anyway, if I can help it, but I definitely draw the line at dog leather. BTW, those buttery soft leather dress gloves one gives/gets as gifts are also sometimes dog leather.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
It really depends on how much you expect to golf as to strategy. This set has iron shafts though and for most women graphite shafts work better and also hurt your wrist and elbow less if you mis hit. If I t’s your first season good to get something economical in case you don’t like it, but know if you stick with it you will be upgrading. Kind of like starter skis. Costco often has good starter sets at a good price. Important at a minimum to have a driver, putter and irons. Some people use a 5 or 3 fairway wood instead of a driver when they are starting out as they can be easier to hit.
Agree that graphite shafts are much better for women, esp beginners. I would check on your local Craig's List, etc., and also Play It Again Sports -- they always have tons of golf equipment. You don't need a matched set to begin with, and will be fine to start out with, until you get a feel for the game and for what you might like. It's really difficult to shop for clubs until you've played for awhile, since part of shopping involves trying out the clubs in a simulated driving area.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Buyer Beware! I ONLY buy synthetic golf gloves -- NEVER "leather" -- why? Because the type of "leather" that golf gloves are made of (unless you can be sure they're made in the USA) is often DOG skin! I try not to buy anything leather anyway, if I can help it, but I definitely draw the line at dog leather. BTW, those buttery soft leather dress gloves one gives/gets as gifts are also sometimes dog leather.

OMG!!!!! Well I 100% will not buy leather golf gloves now if this is the case. I’m a dog lover, that would not be okay with me in the least. :tape:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Okay, so updates of some progress!

1) I went to Golf Galaxy last night to look at clubs. Worked with someone there who opened a bunch of their women's sets for me, including a petite for me to get a feel for things. Found that I am definitely NOT a petite. The petite made me really have to hunch and reach unnaturally, while the standard felt very natural. So that was easy at least, amazing how much difference an inch makes! Then the salesperson had me do some swings hitting a ball with the 7 iron from several sets. I wasn't a fan of being put on display doing this since I really don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I agreed to try.. why not? I did have my one 1 hour clinic in the fall and remembered the basics enough to make contact every time anyway haha. I didn't know which club was from which set when doing it, and there was an obvious one that felt better to me in general and also showed much better consistency and distance for my hits with their computer program. Turns out it was the Calloway Strata set that I've been interested in most to begin with based on all of the reviews I've read. So, I didn't buy anything yet, but I did find it interesting and think I will likely go with that set to start.

Also, omg I don't know how I made it out of that store without trying on and buying a ton of cute clothes and accessories!! lol But I was doing some other errands in the area as well so I had a time constraint and couldn't dilly dally beyond the purpose of my visit which was to touch some clubs and get advice from the staff somewhere.

2) I called up Highfields today which is the course listed on the Operation 36 site that's closest to me. Except they don't actually do Operation 36 anymore I guess!? However, they are planning to do a women's clinic starting at the end of April or beginning of May and already have 8 of 10 slots full, so I put myself on the list for now and then will decide for sure what to do when they call me in a couple of weeks with the finalized plans. It sounds like they follow most of the Operation 36 stuff still, from what I've read about that. It would be Thursday evenings for the clinic piece and then some Monday nights I guess he also offers time to go play as well. I'm a little nervous that when I asked if everyone is beginners he said that it's a group that mostly did Operation 36 last year but still needs a lot of work. Having mentioned I was a skier.. he said if I'm athletic I'll be able to catch up easily with the group. I'm not so sure I feel confident in that, but I guess we'll see if I do it.

I also discussed clubs with the pro, and he was in favor of people who want to play getting their own sets to begin with. I asked about the set I had in mind and he said that was one of two he'd highly recommend. So that's good at least.

3) I also called the golf club really close to me, Blissful Meadows, again and confirmed that they still don't have any set dates for their clinics.. I feel impatient, but everywhere else seems to have some sort of a plan starting so not sure what their holdup is.. and don't really want to wait and find out that they don't offer something etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly