• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

kiki

Angel Diva
So I was able to confirm yesterday that the country club ~3miles from my house is going to hold their women's clinic again this summer. No dates confirmed yet, but the last one in 2019 started in early June and went for 4 weeks. They had two options for times, lunchtime or evening on Mondays.. I'm hoping it will be the same this time around as well because I might actually be able to do an extended lunch for it with how close it is to home and Mondays being a pretty dead Zoom day for me currently. We'll see.

What are your thoughts on getting clubs ahead of this sort of thing? Is it best to have your own stuff to learn with, or better to get some tips on what to buy during the session?

In my own online research I've come across this set quite often as a great first set for women. I'd still go try and do a fitting etc. before buying anything, but curious if anyone has an opinion on the set and also if it's important to go with the full 16 piece set or start smaller and add to it as you go since there are sets with lesser pieces as options here too.

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Ult...fb2be7f4b29e65bd7c35417e3ecba8&language=en_US

This is an Amazon listing, but the set is also sold through Dick's Sporting Goods which offers fittings.. Or is it better to go to a really golf specific place for a fitting and to get more educated on things before deciding on a purchase? I've also been keeping my eyes open for local listings but haven't had anything peak my interest yet.
It really depends on how much you expect to golf as to strategy. This set has iron shafts though and for most women graphite shafts work better and also hurt your wrist and elbow less if you mis hit. If I t’s your first season good to get something economical in case you don’t like it, but know if you stick with it you will be upgrading. Kind of like starter skis. Costco often has good starter sets at a good price. Important at a minimum to have a driver, putter and irons. Some people use a 5 or 3 fairway wood instead of a driver when they are starting out as they can be easier to hit.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Knowing you @MissySki, you’ll probably get pretty good quick and be obsessed like skiing! (Like me!) That being said, I wonder if these give you enough room to grow into. I’m not an expert by any means but when I started to get back into golf a couple years ago (after 15 yr hiatus), I ended up with the Callaway Solaire after doing a ton of research. I got such a good deal on them I figured it was worth it for a couple years until I got better. Still, I kinda wish I just stuck with my old clubs and held out for a nice set I would build. I keep looking at clubs and DH keeps telling me I just need to go get fitted!

Sparky

Angel Diva
Also, check this out https://operation36.golf. I just signed up for a semester (weekly class for 8 weeks). I haven’t done this before but it sounds pretty good and at a reasonable cost. Looks like they have some camps in the Boston area.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Knowing you @MissySki, you’ll probably get pretty good quick and be obsessed like skiing! (Like me!) That being said, I wonder if these give you enough room to grow into. I’m not an expert by any means but when I started to get back into golf a couple years ago (after 15 yr hiatus), I ended up with the Callaway Solaire after doing a ton of research. I got such a good deal on them I figured it was worth it for a couple years until I got better. Still, I kinda wish I just stuck with my old clubs and held out for a nice set I would build. I keep looking at clubs and DH keeps telling me I just need to go get fitted!

I dunno.. you've never seen my very dismal short game exemplified in mini golf! :rotf:

Hmmm well I have no idea what to really do since I have nothing at all to use right now. Perhaps it would be best to go to a golf specific shop and see what direction they recommend going in to start.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only thing to keep in mind with many cheaper sets, and I'd definitely ask about this at the store, is often cheaper sets can't be modified all that much. I have a cheap Maxfli set that I was learning on a few years ago, and while I love how lightweight they are, the lie angle on them is all wrong (and the clubs are also too long). But they can't really be modified at all, certainly not the lie angle. If I ever get back into it and actually improve, I'll need to to be fitted and upgrade my clubs.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Also, check this out https://operation36.golf. I just signed up for a semester (weekly class for 8 weeks). I haven’t done this before but it sounds pretty good and at a reasonable cost. Looks like they have some camps in the Boston area.

Thanks! There's one within 25 mins from me so I filled out a form to get more information on their program as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Only thing to keep in mind with many cheaper sets, and I'd definitely ask about this at the store, is often cheaper sets can't be modified all that much. I have a cheap Maxfli set that I was learning on a few years ago, and while I love how lightweight they are, the lie angle on them is all wrong (and the clubs are also too long). But they can't really be modified at all, certainly not the lie angle. If I ever get back into it and actually improve, I'll need to to be fitted and upgrade my clubs.

What is considered "cheap" for clubs? I guess I thought a ~$500 set would be a reasonable starting point, but perhaps this isn't the case?

I would definitely like to have something that can be modified if needed, so going to a shop that does fittings etc. is probably worthwhile up front to see if I am pretty standard or not so much? OR are these services way out of the range for beginner stuff and they'll laugh me out the door if I go ask about it? lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I honestly don't remember what we paid for my set b/c it's been so many years, but I don't think it was that much. I have no idea what typical pricing is, but mr. tinymoose left me with the impression that "good" sets are usually sold separately... aka you'd buy your irons and then other clubs like woods and driver separately. But maybe someone else can chime in. I only did a couple seasons where I sorta learned to a point, but I wouldn't consider myself a golfer by any stretch of the imagination.

kiki

Angel Diva
In canadian dollars, a good set with irons, driver, putter, fairway woods and hybrids is ++$2k. That would be like a Ping or titleist which you can have the lie angle and the grip customized after a fitting ($100-300). It’s a lot to spend and your swing in undeveloped so your lie angle may change after a couple years, so sometimes good to wait and let yourself develop and discover what your swing speed etc will be before going that route.

i suggest starting with a « good » starter set before worrying too much about the lie angle and all that, entry sets are about $500 all in, make sure to get graphite and a women’s specific set. something in the middle would be cobra, callaway, Cleveland, Taylor made.
check out some here (US retailer):
https://www.mortongolfsales.com/Women-s-Complete-Sets-s/667.htm

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is considered "cheap" for clubs? I guess I thought a ~$500 set would be a reasonable starting point, but perhaps this isn't the case?

I would definitely like to have something that can be modified if needed, so going to a shop that does fittings etc. is probably worthwhile up front to see if I am pretty standard or not so much? OR are these services way out of the range for beginner stuff and they'll laugh me out the door if I go ask about it? lol

Golfer’s Warehouse in Auburn is great ....they will work with you, but unfortunately, like most of the golf stores around here, they have a very limited selection of women’s clubs. However, they do typically have last season sets, etc that are often discounted, so a good way to get decent clubs without investing a ton of $$.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Golfer’s Warehouse in Auburn is great ....they will work with you, but unfortunately, like most of the golf stores around here, they have a very limited selection of women’s clubs. However, they do typically have last season sets, etc that are often discounted, so a good way to get decent clubs without investing a ton of $$.

Thanks! This is the other place besides Dick’s in the area that I thought I’d inquire with. Glad to hear a good review before contacting them!

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! This is the other place besides Dick’s in the area that I thought I’d inquire with. Glad to hear a good review before contacting them!
It’s slim pickings around here ...Dick’s has a decent selection, but I don’t always find them very helpful. I have bought a few clubs from Golfers Warehouse & last year, they gave us a great deal on a new set for my son (who ideally needs to be fitted, but not until he stops growing) . They seem to be an honest place. Good luck!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Personally, I didn't like the attitude at Dick's when I was wandering around looking at golf clubs. It's been about 20 years though. Essentially got the feeling that getting someone to take me seriously was . . . like getting some ski shop men to take a woman seriously about buying skis that aren't for beginners.

I didn't bother with a full set of clubs to start with. I'd had a little experience with golf that didn't go so well. Let's say it involved with an instructor who paid a lot more attention to my husband (not a good golfer) than me. I bought something along the lines of a few used irons, a 3-wood, a 5-wood, and a good putter. Got a small carry bag designed for playing 9-holes. I found a good book. Then found a non-PGA pro at a local course who would do a set of 3 lessons for $75. Timing was based on when I had enough time between lessons to practice. That was enough to decide if I wanted to keep going.

Once I found EGWA, the organization for women that's merged into LPGA now, that made a big difference. I was still working so the 9-After-5 midweek was really helpful and fun.

After buying a semi-custom set, I added a few clubs after that. Never did get to the point of using a driver off the tee.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Personally, I didn't like the attitude at Dick's when I was wandering around looking at golf clubs. It's been about 20 years though. Essentially got the feeling that getting someone to take me seriously was . . . like getting some ski shop men to take a woman seriously about buying skis that aren't for beginners.

I didn't bother with a full set of clubs to start with. I'd had a little experience with golf that didn't go so well. Let's say it involved with an instructor who paid a lot more attention to my husband (not a good golfer) than me. I bought something along the lines of a few used irons, a 3-wood, a 5-wood, and a good putter. Got a small carry bag designed for playing 9-holes. I found a good book. Then found a non-PGA pro at a local course who would do a set of 3 lessons for $75. Timing was based on when I had enough time between lessons to practice. That was enough to decide if I wanted to keep going.

Once I found EGWA, the organization for women that's merged into LPGA now, that made a big difference. I was still working so the 9-After-5 midweek was really helpful and fun.

After buying a semi-custom set, I added a few clubs after that. Never did get to the point of using a driver off the tee.

That’s exactly what I worry about going to any shop myself.. I have no idea what I’m talking about and therefore am unsure that I can gauge whether I’m getting good advice from someone there. I hate that feeling..

marzNC

Angel Diva
That’s exactly what I worry about going to any shop myself.. I have no idea what I’m talking about and therefore am unsure that I can gauge whether I’m getting good advice from someone there. I hate that feeling..
The guys in the golf-specific shops were generally pretty helpful. We used to go to Myrtle Beach where there are lots of golf shops. My husband likes to shop for a bargain.

The book suggests starting with a half-set, meaning the odd numbers. Then trading up after a couple years.

altagirl

Staff member
I feel like that too with the golf specific stores - the best service I've gotten has been from Uinta Golf, which is a Utah chain. From day one (when I was thoroughly clueless instead of mostly clueless...) they have been nothing but supportive and helpful. They also have a wonderful return policy so you can buy a club (or set) and go out and use it and if you don't like it can get a full store credit within 90 days. Which is pretty remarkable to me and always makes me more willing to buy, even though I've never actually returned anything.... so they have me figured out as a buyer! And they have a good selection of used clubs and free demo bays and video analysis and all of that, which is really helpful. But honestly, I really just like the people who work there - I have never felt judged or belittled even when I know I've used the wrong terms or when I was explaining that I had only gone to Top Golf as a social activity as my sole golfing experience in several decades.... Everyone that I talked to at the shop was just was excited that I wanted to golf more and happy to help. Gotta love that.

As far as not knowing anything yet but identifying good service - honestly I feel like it's someone who listens to you, asks questions, pays attention and isn't snarky that you're a beginner. I mean, honestly from a sales perspective a beginner who you can get hooked and they will be buying EVERYTHING is who you want in your store, right? If a sales person just looks at me and gives me the "you need this" - no thank you. If they ask about my background, my goals, my other sports and then talk me through the pros and cons of a few options? Let me test it out if I want to? That's what I want. I mean, it's a little different if you're going to a bootfitter - they should still be asking questions but maybe there IS just one boot that's going to fit your foot the best and a bootfitter can look at my foot and say THIS. This is the only thing for your crazy shaped foot.... But as a beginner golfer in a decent shop? Learn about me, show me the options and explain what I'm getting at a higher or lower price point.... And then I spend money. ;)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Outside of clubs, talk to me about attire!

When I did my company's clinic last season I felt like I had an awful time finding something to wear! The course wasn't very strict supposedly, but apparently most of my athletic workout attire (which was the suggested attire for us newbies) just didn't pass the modesty test. I don't really own collared shirts/polos or dress shorts.

The course I plan to do my first clinic at has the following guidance on appropriate golf attire:
Shirts
Men: Collared Shirts or Turtleneck-Style Collar (Traditional cotton, microfiber or polyester golf shirts.)

Women: Vary, with or without collars, but adhere to a traditional sense of modesty. No bathing suit tops or tube tops.

T-shirts or tank tops are not permitted for men or women.

Pants
Men: Long pants made of cotton or a polyester blend, or dress shorts with a pleated or flat front.
Women: Long trousers, capris or dress shorts, or golf skirts.
Cut-off jeans and workout, running or basketball shorts usually are not permitted for men or women.

Shoes
"Soft" spikes made of hard rubber or plastic, not metal.
Boots are not permitted.

How did you get started with golfing attire? I feel I will need some pieces to start for sure after that experience and don't want to wear the same thing every week to a clinic, but don't want to go crazy buying a ton of stuff obviously. Also, I had worn sneakers, is it important to get golf specific shoes to begin with as well?

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
Outside of clubs, talk to me about attire!

When I did my company's clinic last season I felt like I had an awful time finding something to wear! The course wasn't very strict, but apparently most of my athletic workout attire just didn't pass the modesty test and I don't really own collared shirts/polos.

How did you get started with golfing attire? I feel I will need some pieces to start for sure after that experience and don't want to wear the same thing every week to a clinic, but don't want to go crazy buying a ton of stuff obviously. Also, I had worn sneakers, is it important to get golf specific shoes to begin with as well?

So - depends on your shopping style, but I've had great luck finding screaming deals on clothing at https://www.2ndswing.com/ I mean like 70-90% off on occasion.... Obviously it's generally previous year, and or has the logo of a resort embroidered on it or something, but I'm all about the deal hunting and don't mind. I also like scouring the clearance racks at our local golf stores...

But that said - I've found golf clothing to be EXTREMELY comfortable and now own a lot of JoFit golf pants that double as work pants. They're stretchy but have a material that's not clingy, and look professional (for a business casual office anyway). (I've repeatedly gotten asked why I was so dressed up for work and was wearing cute golf pants...) And I've found golf skirts to be cute and comfy and practical and basically live in them in summer. The tops - those I basically just use for golf, but you can probably find some cheap enough on clearance that you can buy more than one at a pretty reasonable price. I don't know what your weather is like, but I ended up with sleeveless, short sleeve and long sleeve variations, and a rain jacket that I'm capable of a golf swing in. I ended up splurging on a nice one before our trip to Scotland and adore it. (And it poured rain on us while golfing in Scotland - go figure!) I'd say the main thing is making sure you are comfortable and unrestricted in your swing with what you're wearing. I've found some bras work better than others too but I'm sure that's very individual!

I did get golf shoes right off the bat, but again - clearance rack, so it wasn't a major investment. I upgraded to something nicer later on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna